Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D replacement next from Canon?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This would be a surprise, since the SL2 is not that old. However, if it is the case, the only thing on my wish list for the SL3 would be updated autofocus. I've long felt that the SL series has a brighter future than most of the Rebel line. Many people (or at least me. :) ) prefer the SLR form factor and like having a very compact DSLR to carry around, but I have found the SL2's antiquated focusing system very frustrating.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
its probably not exactly the same but afaik its the 80d sensor just recycled. sensor performance between those two cameras is pretty much the same if not better for the older 80d (just like 5d IV sensor vs Eos R sensr)
While it might seem like it on paper, but there have been improvements to the AF system and video capabilities (sensor readout) so I am expecting other entry level cameras with the M50 sensor and Digic 8 processor as well (if they introduce new technologies, they will do it with their top-of-the-line models, with the basic ones, it is much less likely)

Upvote 0
...plus it makes sense for them to release a low end camera this summer as it will be available on every shelf in the fall. My guess is it'll be Rmount with a ef adapter and 18-55 + 55-250 lens kit as the cheaper package, 24-105 as the more expensive package. Maybe around 699 -799 for the cheaper 2 lens kit and 1299 for the 24-105?

Canon has said it wants to move to more expensive lenses across a broader range of it's cameras. And while most purchasers of these cheaper cameras never ever buy a lens, the fact that they COULD is sometimes a key factor in buying a Canon over another brand.

A 24-105 with a crop sensor? That seems like an odd choice. The RF lenses even announced so far are all FF, with FF-appropriate focal lengths. What would they gain from using RF mount for a crop camera now? It could use big, FF-oriented RF lenses or... adapted EF/EF-S lenses. Why not just make it with an EF-S mount?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A 24-105 with a crop sensor? That seems like an odd choice. The RF lenses even announced so far are all FF, with FF-appropriate focal lengths. What would they gain from using RF mount for a crop camera now? It could use big, FF-oriented RF lenses or... adapted EF/EF-S lenses. Why not just make it with an EF-S mount?
Well, that wouldn’t be a kit that the big boxes would sell, but we’d see it at camera stores. People used to buy kits with the full frame lenses all the time with the 7d and 7dii.

Like I mentioned, i would suspect that the main kit would be the 2 lens Efs kit with adapter. But giving people the r mount means some of them would buy r mount lenses (certainly the 35mm would be in range of some) and would cement its spot as “an entry level camera that you can grow with”. Even if 95% of everyone buying them will never buy another lens, 50% of them will think “Maybe I will”. If I could buy a 7d speed aps-c r mount I would buy a kit with that lens, then use one of the wide efs lenses.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
That is exactly what the 800D is........ it just is not promoted as in the way the SL2 was.

You make a fair point, but the 200D / SL2 is slightly different to the 800D. I am particularly impressed at the AF spec the 800D inherited from the 80D. I own the 80D and it's great, but the 800D and the 77D are no slouches either, in their respective lines (and I say this having owned and used a 700D extensively too).

I have also previously owned the 100D / SL1 ... and while I quite like it, the ergonomics were just a bit too small for my liking. The M5 mirrorless (which I now have) is heavier, and only a fraction more compact than the 100D (but that's more notably the case when using the EF-M lenses which are definitely smaller, and generally of higher quality than the EF-S kit lenses).

Upvote 0
A 24-105 with a crop sensor? That seems like an odd choice.

My first SLR (Minolta, late nineties) had a 35-70mm kit lens. I felt a little limited, but I didn't get a 24mm equivalent until I bought an EOS 450D in 2008.

That EF-S 18-55mm made me feel limited, and my late uncle (a pro photographer) told me I'm spoiled. He was right - nowadays I feel comfortable leaving home with a 5DmkIII & an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L mkII.

Upvote 0
Well, that wouldn’t be a kit that the big boxes would sell, but we’d see it at camera stores. People used to buy kits with the full frame lenses all the time with the 7d and 7dii.

Like I mentioned, i would suspect that the main kit would be the 2 lens Efs kit with adapter. But giving people the r mount means some of them would buy r mount lenses (certainly the 35mm would be in range of some) and would cement its spot as “an entry level camera that you can grow with”. Even if 95% of everyone buying them will never buy another lens, 50% of them will think “Maybe I will”. If I could buy a 7d speed aps-c r mount I would buy a kit with that lens, then use one of the wide efs lenses.

The 7D/7DII are much bigger than the SL1/SL2 though, and they're not sold with the advantage of "well they're small". The 7D series is about AF performance; the SL series is about being small. I can put my 24-105 on my SL1 and it's ridiculous, and I might as well use a bigger body. I really hope they don't do that.

Upvote 0