Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Coming for CP+ [CR1]

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
Oh....please...I hope this is true with at least 5.5 fps, decent grip because the one on the SL1 makes your hand feel arthritic and the digi 6.I was going to shoot with my SL1 this weekend but found a camera shop in my neighborhood that prints black and white film and switched to my Canon Rebel G 35mm film camera instead. I won't hesitate selling or trading the SL1 for the upgrade.

Upvote 0
Love the sl1. Things that could improve:
- AF system is a bit of a joke. Hard to do worse there.
- FPS should go to 6. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but the 4fps is pretty slow nowadays.
- Also, a bigger buffer.
- I think the sensor it has now is decent for its class, and was amazing for when it was launched. That said, no reason not to put the rebel 6-class sensor in there.
- Please, please AFMA. That it lacks AFMA just makes me want to pair it with Sigma glass, where I can use the dock to adjust the lens.
- One more control. Could be a scroll wheel. I'd prefer it be the joystick with the 7d2 nubby lever. The current button set up is absolutely minimal. And, of course, allow for custom assignment of functions to buttons.

edit: Forgot! Requires a back button focus option.

Upvote 0
SL1 has a back button option you can choose one button, the star or asterisk button can be mapped see this article for hints http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2013/03/26/canon-eos-100d-hands-on/. The problem with that is the small hand grip and how the remapping places it over about my middle finger. It ends up being a thumb job to back button focus.

A good 24 MP sensor and better focusing and the sl2 would be perfect, maybe a beefier battery. I've bought three sl1's two as gifts and all are happy with it. Paired with the 18-55 and 55-250 stm's it makes a great hiking kit.

My travel kit now is either the 5Diii or 1DX and the Sl1.

Oh yea and pricing like they've had in the refurb store.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
fon-foto said:
The SL1 / 100D was the worlds smallest DSLR ever... you can't really follow this up with a camera marginally bigger than the original... If AF and sensor quality were improved and maybe shave off another gram or two... I'd be more than happy to update :)

I will gladly take marginally bigger/heavier if it is more capable. Nikon's D5500 is a far more capable camera and it is just 13 grams heavier than SL1 (plus it has a better grip ...) while the Canon Rebels have gained too much weight over the generations. Even smaller/lighter than SL1 would be nice for bragging rights but it's probably going to come at the cost of ergonomics and OVF quality, so no thanks.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
nhz said:
RGF said:
if canon wants to go small, mirrorless with great OV would make a much better impact.

Mirrorless with great EVF, I assume?

Otherwise please enlighten us how this will work with various lenses (like long tele zooms) and how an OVF would be more compact than an EVF ;-)

There are many folks who prefer an OVF to an EVF. So a small, light camera with OVF is exactly what we want. That's why I have a SL1. The SL2 should be also be small and light and have an OFV. Otherwise, if you want an EVF, get an M. If you want larger, get a rebel. If you want it to have all the features of a 70D, get a 70D. The whole purpose of the SL1 is that it is smaller and lighter. Not sure why the folks on here don't get it.

Upvote 0
ablearcher said:
jfretless said:
ablearcher said:
If priced reasonably and not castrated too much in terms of features, I might be interested. This will help to get by for the time being while Canon figures out the mirrorless. With pricing that Sony has for its glass and the size of that glass, I don't see a lot of reasons for myself to add another system (I'm looking for something light for travel). THis might do just fine for travel and casual everyday use.

I bought the SL1 with the same mindset, a stop gap. ...that didn't work out the way I want, so I ended up buying the Sony A6000 and was in initially in love with it. I said... 90% of my work can be done with it. ...then, since that, I have purchased a 6D and 7D mk2. There is no substitute for the big dslr. Having said that, I love the A6000 for it's endless flexibility with adapting to a huge spectrum of lens, of all mounts and makes. I use a Sony LAEA4 for A mount glass and a Contax G metabones adapter for my Zeiss Contax G glass. I will never give up the A6000 for that reason alone. ...as for the SL1, it's my dedicated desktop studio camera for eBay stuff.

Thank you for the post. May I ask what exactly didn't work out with SL1 to the extent that you decided to invest into another system and picked A6000?

Sorry for the delay in responding. When I was looking at the SL1 initially, the primary draw was the size. ...It's smaller, so I'll carry it more and shoot more, and I will accept it's differences from my 7D. When I got it, cool, it was smaller, but AF, FPS, slower, and no improvement in image quality to my 7D, I ended up realizing I couldn't accept it for the reasons I wanted to buy it for. ...so, when I heard about the A6000, and watched all those youtube videos about canon and nikon's dslrs are a thing of the past, and Sony mirrorless cameras are next big thing, blah, blah, blah. ...I fell for it and jumped in.

Upvote 0
I agree, I just want a good small DSLR with OVF.

An SL2+

Around $600

Everything from the SL1, but with
-pentaprism
-minimum shutter speed
-better AF
-weather sealing (come on, those silly rubber rings can't cost much)
-60FPS HD video
-3x lossless zoom for video like the 760D and 70D
-better handling
-small screen on top like the 760D

basically, I want the 70D in SL1 size lol

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
dak723 said:
nhz said:
RGF said:
if canon wants to go small, mirrorless with great OV would make a much better impact.

Mirrorless with great EVF, I assume?

Otherwise please enlighten us how this will work with various lenses (like long tele zooms) and how an OVF would be more compact than an EVF ;-)

There are many folks who prefer an OVF to an EVF. So a small, light camera with OVF is exactly what we want. That's why I have a SL1. The SL2 should be also be small and light and have an OFV. Otherwise, if you want an EVF, get an M. If you want larger, get a rebel. If you want it to have all the features of a 70D, get a 70D. The whole purpose of the SL1 is that it is smaller and lighter. Not sure why the folks on here don't get it.

my point was that a mirrorless (ILC) camera with OVF is a ridiculous proposal.

SL1 is not mirrorless and I assume SL2 isn't going to be mirrorless either. For now I also prefer an OVF over an EVF in such a camera, although I would like a bigger and brighter view and the trend at Canon seems to be shrinking viewfinders in the lower models ;-(

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
I agree, I just want a good small DSLR with OVF.

An SL2+

Around $600

Everything from the SL1, but with
-pentaprism
-minimum shutter speed
-better AF
-weather sealing (come on, those silly rubber rings can't cost much)
-60FPS HD video
-3x lossless zoom for video like the 760D and 70D
-better handling
-small screen on top like the 760D

basically, I want the 70D in SL1 size lol
You won't get a pentaprism in a $600 dollar camera.
And while the silly rubber rings don't cost much, the grooves they fit in do add costs.

Upvote 0