Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Coming in September [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
BillB said:
I don't how many dollars my EF lenses represents for me, and I don't want to add it up to find out, but it has been over a lot of years, so it likely would look better on a per year basis.

I do know, becuase it shows up anually on my insurance bill. Even on a per-year basis, it's not a small number...

Upvote 0
RandomRazr said:
Is the 6D II, basically have dumb down features of the 5D IV?

Im not sure whether to wait or go for 5d IV.

my primary use is video with some photography on the side. going full frame as i want a nice built camera.

video wise is there much difference between 80d vs 5d IV asside from 4k?

At this point its still a guessing game. I'm sure the 6D mk II camera will be great, unless Canon does what they are notorious for but we'll see. If video is all your doing it might be a better option to check out the Sony A7sii, big down side with that one is the battery life. The Fuji x-t2 is pretty good with video but for serious video features you need the battey grip. The Panasonic GH5 is also an amazing camera for video. Lot of other options out there that are better suited for video than the Canon 5D mk IV.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:
The new king of small DSLRs will apparently be slightly smaller and a bit lighter than the EOS Rebel SL1, which at the time of its launch was the smallest DSLR in the world.

We’re also told to expect a specifications list that is relatively similar to the Canon EOS 77D.

Very excited about this!!!
Same here!

Better specification is very welcome, esp. better AF and sensor.
Smaller and lighter is nice to have but not needed.

I hope they can keep/improve ergonomics though.

If price is fair, this will replace my 100D/SL1.

Edit: right now I still believe in specs closer to - rather below the 800D - than closer to the 77D.
But maybe this is the strategy to get a higher price from the market. Street prices in Germany:
750D is somewhere below 600 €.
800D is below 800 €
77D is a little bit above 800 €
110D/SL2 with a (street) price between 600 and 700 € at decent specs would be interesting.
Maybe below 600€ after a few months ???

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
RandomRazr said:

my primary use is video with some photography on the side. going full frame as i want a nice built camera.

I'm hoping the SL2 will answer these questions and more.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
rrcphoto said:
canon's been doing this for a ton of years I'm sure they have an idea what they are doing.

you're also forgetting that some cameras are more suited for some markets over others as well.

Look at it from the global perspective and it changes.

Yeah, I'm not usually one to doubt Canon knows what they're doing. But this recent-ish proliferation of SKUs with fairly minor differences does not seem entirely Canon-like.

you actually forgot one which is the T6

No, I left it out because it's clearly separate from the six I mentioned. Its basic hardware (sensor, AF, metering) is almost ten years old now, in stark contrast to the sextet which shares a lot of Canon's bleeding-edge tech, in particular the excellent 24Mpix sensor and the latest-gen DPAF (assuming the SL2 has the rumored specs). Similarly the 7D2 stands out from the rest of the APS-C offering as a special-purpose tool.

Upvote 0
PHOTOPROROCKIES said:
RandomRazr said:

At this point its still a guessing game. I'm sure the 6D mk II camera will be great, unless Canon does what they are notorious for but we'll see. If video is all your doing it might be a better option to check out the Sony A7sii, big down side with that one is the battery life. The Fuji x-t2 is pretty good with video but for serious video features you need the battey grip. The Panasonic GH5 is also an amazing camera for video. Lot of other options out there that are better suited for video than the Canon 5D mk IV.

thanks for the reply man!

the only reason why im sticking with canon is i blew 2 grand on the 24-70mm 2.8 II L lens from them. its a sexy lens and i figured my as well continue ot make use with it. i sold my 70D so im ready for an upgrade.

in general , would one expect the 6D II to have lesser features then the 5D Iv tho? im really attracted by the possible tilt screen on the 6d II but again, as u say its all rumours

ugh i have a wedding coming up soon in a few weeks . im not the photographer or anything but would like to get some nice pictures. but again my primary use is video tho with the camera.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
As a ridiculously small and light travel camera, my old SL1 was just fantastic on a couple of trips into Vietnam, Laos & Thailand. Loved it. In the end it was the limitation of the nine focus points that sent it out the door. If the SL2 has a meaningful spread of focus points there's a good chance I'll come back for another try.

On most jobs I'll work with two bodies, but occasionally a third body is useful. A chance to lose some bulk from the current 5DIV, 1DX & 7DII is tempting. Let's wait for the final specs...

-pw

Upvote 0
How about a EF-S 17mm f/4 prime lens (= 27mm FOV)? With the good high ISO performance of the new APS-C sensor, f/4 or even f/5.6 is not a problem.

The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 (= 38mm FOV) Is a lot longer than I want/need. The EF-S 10-18mm IS STM, sorta negates the idea of a compact camera.

The EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 that I own, at 13.5 oz./383, is not much lighter than a SL1 (14.2 oz./403g with battery and card.) If the SL2 is actually smaller/lighter than a SL1, the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 could out-weight the camera :(

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
rrcphoto said:
It's always amusing to me why people bemoan that canon can't do x, y, z. the problem is that they are being to all customers, globally - versus certainly the mirrorless companies that are just making products for a smaller segment of the market.

it's why canon's at nearly 50% of the ILC business, and the others are distant 2nd and 3rd choices.

Well said.

Upvote 0
One of the great things about the SL1 is that it has been very cheap. It was discounted pretty quickly, and you can now find deals for as low as $250 refurbished occasionally. I've used them for intervalometer cameras that I can leave in the woods. They're tough and the battery - albeit small - lasts longer than my 7 and 5 series cameras. I'm drooling at the prospect of picking up mark 1s for even less just to salt away for future projects.

I should also mention that the three I've had have been severely abused and just shrug off all attempts at damage. One was hit by a thrown log from 8 feet away. The lens (Tokina 11-16) was unmounted forcibly and had to be reconstructed with a screw driver, gaffer tape and some judicious use of glue. It's still tack sharp. And, yes, there were extra screws left over at the end.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Jopa said:
I really hope it will have AFMA or it should be dead accurate with al my lenses.
Although I'd like to see this feature in all DSLRs I don't believe it will come to any EOS other than xxD or xD.
And I can't believe and wouldn't want the 110D/SL2 to move that far upmarket.
Otherwise it would be difficult for me to justify a purchase ;)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Sharlin said:
Price, yes, but the six bodies in question are actually not that differently priced.

You don't see the same huge difference in prices among the upper lever models, but they're still there, and in this market segment those differences still matter. You also need to see them in a matrix - price vs. features vs. UI/ergonomics, not just in a linear fashion.

Sharlin said:
Too many similar models is not always a good thing. It may present potential customers with too much choise, leading to analysis paralysis,

Actually, they may instead offer what different market segments look for. Some may want an ILC camera that works more like the P&S they may have been used too (or, today, phones). Other may want a camera with more direct controls (dials) because they got more seriously into photography (or just feel it). Again, you won't see this fragmentation in the upper level cameras where it doesn't make sense.

You see it in many different sectors - the higher you go you'll find less different choices or models - because the buyers are less, products offer more, and there's a more general consensus about them. While you observer a far fiercer competition, a larger consumer base, and far more different needs to address within a given price range.

And many customers in this market segments suffer far less from "analysis paralysis" than the GAS addicted people in forums like this (me included - still paralyzed between the M5 and the upcoming SL2 ) :D Many of them will follow relatives/friends/teachers/sellers advice, looking also at price and availability.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I've sold my M3 kit for a variety of reasons, but principally because having briefly had an A7 too I completely fail to see how the implementation of current mirror-less technology can be regarded as superior to current dslrs. For myself the few potential benefits that an EVF can offer do not make up for the sluggish, power draining disadvantages over even a mediocre OVF. I can understand the tangible slimness of the camera bodies having an appeal, but that's about it.

So this SL2 could be very tempting. I really wish that Canon would forsake a few grams of lightness and give it a decent pentaprism finder, and not build and feature it towards a "beginner's camera", but I guess if it is indeed lighter than the old one this won't happen.

Upvote 0
I'd probably buy one. I love my SL1 for a lightweight hiking camera. Paired with the 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens it's lightweight enough to hike all day with, and the image quality is incredible. I also use it as a second body to my 6D. I typically have my 24-70 f/4 IS on the 6D and my 100-400 II on the SL1. The 100-400 II and SL1 is a silly combination, but it works great! If I'm carrying a heavy lens, I might as well use the lightest possible camera with it.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
BillB said:
Sharlin said:
Canon's lineup in that section of the product ladder starts getting awfully crowded. With major features almost identical, we have six bodies whose differences are mostly in ergonomics:

• 80D - biggest, most rugged build, best OVF
  • 77D - smaller, lighter build, smaller viewfinder, some "prosumer" ergonomics
  • 800D/T7i - identical to the 77D except with more beginner-oriented design
  • 110D(?)/SL2 - maximally compact while still being SLR
  • M5 - compact, pretty good ergonomics (many dials!), EVF
  • M6 - maximally compact, same ergonomics as M5 sans EVF

And they all seem to have the same sensor, AF and chip. Doesn't really fit with notion that Canon cripples the cheapies to force buyers upmarket. Really hoping that Canon follows the same strategy with the 6DII, although the 5DIV AF is out of the question. But the 30mp sensor?? Seems pretty certain it will have the DIGIC 7 chip.

APS-C is ls the place that most people buy into the ES lens system, so that's where it all starts out for most of us. I don't how many dollars my EF lenses represents for me, and I don't want to add it up to find out, but it has been over a lot of years, so it likely would look better on a per year basis.
Digital imaging sensor is the single most expensive component of any camera so sharing same sensor across multiple models in any generation is smart way of saving money on production. Sharing sensor has nothing to do with crippling which happens with functionality of camera(memory card slots, video features, customisation options, etc...) which according to Canon hampers sales or more "expensive" cameras. As the sensor gets bigger, so does the production cost and ratio of faulty sensors to usable sensors coming out of fab. Hence the reason why larger FF cameras dont seem to share sensors across multiple models.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Digital imaging sensor is the single most expensive component of any camera so sharing same sensor across multiple models in any generation is smart way of saving money on production. Sharing sensor has nothing to do with crippling which happens with functionality of camera(memory card slots, video features, customisation options, etc...) which according to Canon hampers sales or more "expensive" cameras. As the sensor gets bigger, so does the production cost and ratio of faulty sensors to usable sensors coming out of fab. Hence the reason why larger FF cameras dont seem to share sensors across multiple models.

I'm just sick of hearing the people whine about "crippling" on every damn camera.

Upvote 0