Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed for 2017 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve been told by a couple of sources now that we will definitely be seeing a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 in 2017. We don’t yet know exactly when we’ll see the new camera, but we don’t expect an announcement at least until after the brand new EOS Rebel T7i begins shipping at the end of March.</p>
<p>We had been told previously that a new EF-S prime lens would be coming, and it would make sense if these two products came around the same time.</p>
<p>We think that’ll likely be it for APS-C DSLRs from Canon in 2017, there won’t be an EOS 90D or EOS 7D Mark III this year.</p>
<p>Specifications are unavailable at this time, but we’ll obviously pass them on if we hear anything.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Re: Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed in 2017 [CR3]

SL2 (110D?) will, if trend follows, probably have the same 24mpx sensor as in the 80D, M5, 77D, 800D, but with a slower framerate of 4-5 fps and, probably, DIGIC 6 rather than DIGIC 7. No flippy screen.

This would, if it happens, mean that the same sensor powers every production APS-C DSLR that Canon currently produce, with the exception of the quite old 7D II. [Edit: and the M10. But I can't see them keeping the old 18mpx sensor in the 110D.

I know the rumors say the 7D III isn't coming out this year, but I really can't see the 7D II lasting another year.

As for the prime lens, if it's not a EF-S 35mm f/1.8 (or, if they've being lazy, f/2.0) STM I'll be SHOCKED. Seriously shocked. It'll be between $150 and $200.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria

Canon Rumors said:
We had been told previously that a new EF-S prime lens would be coming,...

Did you try to ask your sources something like if it is more of a wider focal lenght or not... nothing too specific... just a tiny tiny tidbit for us to chew on :) would be great!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
mclaren777 said:
You should ask your source about the rumored 85mm IS.

I'm dying to hear more about a possible release date.

I know more, I just can't say anything yet. Soon... I promise.

This lens just didn't seem possible to me for a while, but I've thought about it more and see that it is. Are you positive it's an "L" and not a line extension of the 24/28/35 IS models?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

jebrady03 said:
Canon Rumors said:
mclaren777 said:

This lens just didn't seem possible to me for a while, but I've thought about it more and see that it is. Are you positive it's an "L" and not a line extension of the 24/28/35 IS models?

It is 100% an L, no doubt about it.

Upvote 0

I know the rumors say the 7D III isn't coming out this year, but I really can't see the 7D II lasting another year.

How so? Are you not convinced about its blazing fast AND accurate AF system at a constant 10fps?

Its DPAF technology? Its 1080 60p for video with both mic and headphone inputs? Its rock-solid construction?

Its more than capable sensor for 99.9% of everything a good photog does, save for absurd -5EV shadow recovery?

I don't see Canon launching a new 7D when this one is so recent and their product cycles are so dilated.

It's a superb camera.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph said:
SL2 (110D?) will, if trend follows, probably have the same 24mpx sensor as in the 80D, M5, 77D, 800D, but with a slower framerate of 4-5 fps and, probably, DIGIC 6 rather than DIGIC 7. No flippy screen.

This would, if it happens, mean that the same sensor powers every production APS-C DSLR that Canon currently produce, with the exception of the quite old 7D II. [Edit: and the M10. But I can't see them keeping the old 18mpx sensor in the 110D.

I know the rumors say the 7D III isn't coming out this year, but I really can't see the 7D II lasting another year

I was hoping this would come to happen: a rollout of the new sensor tech causing all the bodies to get upgraded in short order, in sequence. If they do the SL1 and the 6D updates, per rumors here, that would just leave the 7DII and 5DS/r, right?

Upvote 0

I think that in some ways Canon had the market for the SL1 wrong. The SL1 was specified and marketed as an entry level camera, a traditional alternative to the small mirrorless cameras that Canon felt could compete on size, as well as perhaps a hedged bet on the future of the EOS-M. Whilst small cameras have enjoyed some success in the entry level market, particularly with Asian women, simply making cameras small has not stemmed the decline in camera sales. This is partly because the target market already has small cameras called smartphones with "good enough" image quality and far better connectivity.

Will repeating the SL1 formula by fitting most of the latest generation "Rebel" in a smaller body resonate with the market? I'm sure they'll sell enough to make the venture profitable, but I think that they could make far more impact by taking the SL2 upmarket. For me, this would mean:

• 100%, 1.0x, pentaprism viewfinder
  • tilting screen (not side hinged, flip out style!)
  • dual control dials
  • 45pt AF sensor
  • weather resistant body

On top of the latest generation sensor and meter technology. Basically, a scaled down 80D...

Produce that camera and launch it with some compact EF-S primes and you might just pry me away from Fuji when I'm looking for a compact carry anywhere system to complement my Canon full frame kit.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
jebrady03 said:
Canon Rumors said:
mclaren777 said:

It is 100% an L, no doubt about it.

That kinda makes me sad- I hope they're not dropping the 1.2 line. :'(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been told by a couple of sources now that we will definitely be seeing a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 in 2017. We don’t yet know exactly when we’ll see the new camera, but we don’t expect an announcement at least until after the brand new EOS Rebel T7i begins shipping at the end of March.</p>
<p>We had been told previously that a new EF-S prime lens would be coming, and it would make sense if these two products came around the same time.</p>
<p>We think that’ll likely be it for APS-C DSLRs from Canon in 2017, there won’t be an EOS 90D or EOS 7D Mark III this year.</p>
<p>Specifications are unavailable at this time, but we’ll obviously pass them on if we hear anything.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

1) We shouldn't be surprised at all about the 7D3. If a 7D Mark III drops this year it would be two years too soon. Very un-Canon to update a brand faster than prior updates of that same brand -- in fact, it hasn't happened in 8-10 years or so across all SLR brands.

2) Why the hell are they making another SL1? See plot below -- SL1 didn't exactly set the world on fire. Surely the tandem of M5/M6 could address the need for folks to keep things small without throwing away functionality. An SL2 seems like throwing more money at a bad idea, IMHO.

- A

Attachments

• 04827-Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1-price-graph.png
    04827-Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1-price-graph.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,645
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

jolyonralph said:

More than rumors -- past track record applies as well. The 7D been a steady 5 year lifecycle brand for its two iterations. There are only so many takers for a ~ $1500 flagship APS-C rig. Canon will not rush out a 7D3 unless the D500 starts gobbling up share, and I've seen no data to suggest that is happening.

- A

Upvote 0