Canon EOS Rebel T7's are Next on the DSLR Schedule [CR2]

Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:
for a one lens setup it doesn't make sense to get ANY ILC camera.

the entire point of an ILC is to switch lenses.

Whoa, disagree on this one. Some people get ILCs strictly for responsiveness reasons (principally for pictures of their children), which an OVF/mirror setup does best --> so they buy an SLR.

Unless there is a fixed lens modern DSLR on the market that I am not aware of, those folks will likely get a Rebel or D5500.

- A

the newer 1" compacts are extremely quick and pretty good at catching movement of at least children.

if you're not going to move off the kit lens, it's highly debatable that you need an ILC nowadays which is why they aren't selling as well.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
rrcphoto said:
or you are making a poor and uninformed observation.

nothing beats canon's STM lineup out there in terms of range of focal from UWA to tele for a kit. the rebels are fairly compact, weigh less than canon's xxD series cameras or above, and Canon's EF-S STM lenses are the best bang for the buck out there. you can walk away with the 24, 50, 10-18 , 18-135, 55-250 and have a credible kit and not cost a significant amount of money.

Canon EOS M3 is much better choice than any rebel. Smaller body, less vibration, less noise, less intrusive, same capabilities (with optional EVF).

Canon EF-M lenses cover essentially the same focal range as EF-S lenses at less bulk, typically lower price and many have even somewhat higher IQ :)

EF-M 11-22 >>> cheaper and better than >>>> EF-S 10-18 and 10-22
EF-M 18-55 KIT >>> slightly smaller and slightly better than >>> EF-S 18-55 IS STM
EF-M 18-150 >>> more compact and more reach and equal IQ and lower price than >>> EF-S 18-135
EF-M 22/2.0 >>> 1 stop faster and better IQ than >>> EF-S 24/2.8 pancake
EF-M 28/2.8 Macro >> with LED light >>> no such thing in EF-S [but EF-S 60 Macro]
EF-M 50-200 >>> a lot more compact but 50mm less reach and 1/2 stop slower at long end than >>> EF-S 55-250

And with tghe EF-M/EF adapter you can also use any EF-S/EF lens without loss of fucntionality, especially those with STM AF drive.

So EOS M is much smarter choice than mirrorslapper rebel.
Even if you ignore mirror, rebels still shoots with more FPS than M3.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
ritholtz said:
Even if you ignore mirror, rebels still shoots with more FPS than M3.

what for? Me and many othere users I know are more than happy with max. 5 fps. No problem, if [some] cameras are (much) faster. But definitely not NEEDED in majority of Rebel use cases. ;-)

Agree. Responsiveness of the OVF setup remains the killer app of the SLR over everything else. When I hand my old T1i over to family that come to visit (that's my loaner rig for beginners), if they've never shot an SLR, it shows. They marvel at how quickly it nails things -- it's a very 'capture the moment' definitive and satisfying experience.

- A

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
what for? Me and many othere users I know are more than happy with max. 5 fps. No problem, if [some] cameras are (much) faster. But definitely not NEEDED in majority of Rebel use cases. ;-)

You're suggesting Canon M3 being better choice than Rebels. But M3 doesn't shoot with 5 fps. Rebels shoots with 5 fps. I think rebels shoot with 3 fps in live view also.
According to dpr, For M3 burst rates drop dramatically when in AF-C mode, to roughly 1.5 fps, depending on your subject.

Upvote 0

asl

Aug 23, 2016
rrcphoto said:
asl said:
Tugela said:
Personally I think that any average Joe who buys a Rebel rather than one of the competing MILCs is making a poor and rather uninformed choice.

For one camera one lens setup, it does not make sense to get a rebel at the moment.

Yes, I agree (in most cases), but it seem (there are statistics.) many still do get one camera and one lens.
And I do not think the canon/rebels are the best in such case as canon strongest point seem to be there selection of (semi expensive although maybe cheaper that competing brands) lenses, not their cameras. I think you could get more for your money from other brands, even if you had to pay more for a good lens in such case.
This is for course my view and I am more nerd/enthusiast then the people who actually would buy one camera and one lens so may be it does not matter any way.
This might also of course change a bit with the new rebel.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
zim said:
transpo1 said:
They'll need to have crap quality 4K video and slo-mo capabilities if they want to compete with the most popular camera in the world- the iPhone Samsung.

Other than that I agree ;D

Canon would not have it any other way. Touché, sir. I stand corrected. I should have said, "if they want to compete with one of the most popular cameras in the world." :)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
asl said:
rrcphoto said:
asl said:
Tugela said:
Personally I think that any average Joe who buys a Rebel rather than one of the competing MILCs is making a poor and rather uninformed choice.

For one camera one lens setup, it does not make sense to get a rebel at the moment.

Yes, I agree (in most cases), but it seem (there are statistics.) many still do get one camera and one lens.
And I do not think the canon/rebels are the best in such case as canon strongest point seem to be there selection of (semi expensive although maybe cheaper that competing brands) lenses, not their cameras. I think you could get more for your money from other brands, even if you had to pay more for a good lens in such case.
This is for course my view and I am more nerd/enthusiast then the people who actually would buy one camera and one lens so may be it does not matter any way.
This might also of course change a bit with the new rebel.

EOS comes with a ton of options for professional tools and accessories. I think getting a low end Rebel is a much better idea than a high end Point and Shoot.
Even if you never use all the features, eventually someone else might, there's an inherent value to it that more casual hardware lacks.

Upvote 0
"due to significant drops in Rebel series sales, 5 years ago you couldn’t keep them on the shelf at Christmas time, those times are long gone."

For a lot of people it's a really bad idea to buy a Canon Rebel.

Canon Rebel:
Good: aps-c size sensor, body size, RAW.
Bad: really bad kit lens, no microAF, shutter lag.

Compare with a smartphone:
Good: internet connection, good lens (F2.0), easy to carry with you.
Bad: really small sensor.

A Canon Rebel vs smartphone must compete with image quality. But... With a bad kit lens? With no microAF? There's a nonsense. A lot of people will do better photos and will be more happy with a smartphone.

Upvote 0
After lurking for the past year to keep up with the rumors, I decided it was time to chime in :)
While many people are content with using their smartphones to photograph their life's events, others quickly see the limitations and look for something better. After buying a T5i (with the 2 STM lenses) for my son 14yr. old son a couple years ago, my eldest daughter noticed the limitations of her smartphone and asked for a DSLR. I bought her a refurb SL1 body from the Canon website and added my 18-55mm STM from a 70D kit that I don't use. The price was fabulous and the kit works great! She is starting to think about a telephoto lens but only after using my 70-200 to photograph bison in Canada last summer.

Most my heavily invested Canon shooting friends are telling first time buyers of DSLRs to get Nikon for best bang for buck, even with a lower quality kit lens then the STM lineup. Canon needs to keep the DSLR price entry point lower than the T6 with a good SL2 to compete with the Nikon D3xxx. A T7i/T7S seems early out of the gate unless there is some new tech to test on consumers and the SL2 next up to bat. Even so, the budget DSLR market is turning to yellow.

Upvote 0
AuroraChaserDoug said:
I bought her a refurb SL1 body from the Canon website and added my 18-55mm STM from a 70D kit that I don't use.

A Canon SL1 with a 18-55mm STM lens is not really "reflex" quality image. If you like it, congratulations!

But a friend has that camera with that lens... And he is very disappointed. You can't compare that lens with usual f2.0 smartphone lens. So, it's very easy to be disappointed.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Timely that we're on a Rebel thread when this should drop:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1426601517/nikon-d5600-dslr-announced-though-not-in-the-us

Shockingly, I see no reference to 4K recording. :p

So either Nikon's huffing the same paint as Canon, or 4K is just not a must for this market segment.

- A

4K still at least a future version away from this market segment of entry-level ILCs. Even Sony's still at the A6300/6500 segment with 4K. Canon can be expected to first go APS-C 4K not with the Rebels but first with the "90D" and 7D Mark "III" as with Nikon's equivalents.

Upvote 0
Toni said:
AuroraChaserDoug said:
I bought her a refurb SL1 body from the Canon website and added my 18-55mm STM from a 70D kit that I don't use.
A Canon SL1 with a 18-55mm STM lens is not really "reflex" quality image. If you like it, congratulations!

But a friend has that camera with that lens... And he is very disappointed. You can't compare that lens with usual f2.0 smartphone lens. So, it's very easy to be disappointed.
Rebel SL1 + 18-55STM can not make images as good as a smartphone with F2 lens? :eek:

Let's see:

Smartphone has zero optical zoom.
Smartphone has F2 lens, but depth of field equivalent to F8 in APS-C.
Smartphone does not record in RAW.
Smartphone has high ISO with pathetic quality.
Smartphone has reasonable shutter delay, but fast focuses ONLY IN INTENSE LIGHT.

SL1 + 18-55STM has more than 3X optical zoom on the kit lens.
SL1 + 18-55STM has aperture F3.5-5.6, able to blur the background reasonably.
SL1 + 18-55STM also records in RAW.
SL1 + 18-55STM has fairly decent high ISO up to 3200.
SL1 + 18-55STM has shutter lag faster than any equivalent price smartphone, and the 18-55 STM lens focuses extremely fast.

I'm sorry if you've never used the new 18-55 STM, but I have to inform you that its performance is better (except maximum aperture) than the Canon 17-55mm, 17-85mm. Obviously, your friend may have bought a defective Rebel with a defective 18-55mm, which is of no use in judging his qualities.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
I'm sorry if you've never used the new 18-55 STM, but I have to inform you that its performance is better (except maximum aperture) than the Canon 17-55mm, 17-85mm. Obviously, your friend may have bought a defective Rebel with a defective 18-55mm, which is of no use in judging his qualities.

If you're happy with kit lens 18-55 stm, congratulations. You know nothing about photography image quality.
With a lens like that, I prefer to don't take the photo.

Upvote 0
Toni said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

If you're happy with kit lens 18-55 stm, congratulations. You know nothing about photography image quality.
With a lens like that, I prefer to don't take the photo.
Really?
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=836&Camera=736&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=398&Sample=0&CameraComp=736&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=836&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=251&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :p

Upvote 0