Canon EOS Roadmap

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
With the release of the 90D, I believe we can get a pretty good idea of Canon's product roadmap over the next 18-24 months.

EOS Rs --Apprx. 83 mp sensor, probably only one version and it will not have an anti-aliasing filter, may be the first Canon body with in-body image stabilization. Otherwise, I expect it will be virtually the same body as the EOS R -- sorry guys, no joystick for you. It's no longer needed with touchscreen focusing. Don't plan on a second card slot either.

1Dx III -- Evolutionary design with improved eye and face detection focusing the major feature. Some increased coverage of autofocus points. Sensor somewhere in the 30-40 mp range. May have IBIS, but only if Canon is confident of the durability and reliability of the feature in a camera built to be abused. I'd give it about 50/50 odds. Incremental increase in frame rate. CFast and SD card slots.

EOS Rx -- Same sensor as the 1Dx III. Frame rate equals or exceeds the 1Dx III. Same autofocus, but with 100% viewfinder coverage. Same battery. Same card slots.

EOS R7d -- APS-C version -- This is something of a unicorn. A few months ago I would have given it no chance, but with Nikon preparing to release an APS-C mirrorless I think the chances go up, but still probably only about 50/50 and it will be the last of the EOS R models to be released -- only after the Rs and Rx.

EOS R II -- Those unhappy with the EOS R and looking for what they consider to be a true equivalent to the 5D series are in for a disappointment. The market won't sustain that many full frame bodies and Canon feels the EOS R is that equivalent. If you want more, you will have to wait for the EOS R II -- probably three years out, but maybe just two.

5D V -- Yes, there will be a 5D V, but it's too early to make any predictions about what it will include.

APS-C DSLRs -- Canon will continue to make and sell Rebels and the 90D II etc., so long as the market is there. Many enthusiasts still prefer the DSLR form factor, so the 90D line is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. Many people still consider the DSLR form factor to be what a "real" camera looks like, so don't expect Canon to abandon their Rebels any time soon.

EOS M -- I don't follow this series, but I'm sure there will be another model that has an integrated viewfinder, but incorporates the other features of the new M6. As long as the niche market for small and portable exists, the M line will be around.

Okay, in the immortal words of Harry Film, you heard it here first. That's my prediction, feel free to make your own and then bookmark this thread to see who comes closest to being correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 25, 2011
Not a bad prediction based on the Rumors, however, if there were a 5D MK V, which I doubt, it would have a new sensor, and a "R" version with the same sensor would be released. I think that Canon wants to push users toward mirrorless simply because they want to sell lots of high markup lenses. They have even mentioned that in their financial reports. I doubt that a RF lens costs any more to make, likely less, and currently sells for more.

If there is a APS-C version of the R, it will probably replace the 7D. It needs to differentiate itself from the 90D and the M5 / M6 II cameras if there is to be a market. Again, it would exist in order to sell new lenses at better price points.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
To be honest, I think -naively?- that there is no need for an EOS RII, at least not before a few years...
A few details are maybe disturbing, like the M-fn bar, the electronic level, but the sensor is excellent, battery life quite good, etc...
What really matters, is that one can obtain high-quality pictures, in Canon color, AND easily use manual lense like the EF 65mm.
Depending on what I want to shoot, I sometimes use the R or the 5 D IV. Each concept has specific advantages, though I prefer DSLRs for wildlife, but the R for macro.
Otherwise, interesting (realistic ?) predictions.:)

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
EOS Rx -- Same sensor as the 1Dx III. Frame rate equals or exceeds the 1Dx III. Same autofocus, but with 100% viewfinder coverage.
well...no. an R version of the 1DX will only have DPAF...or QPAF

EOS R7d -- APS-C version -- This is something of a unicorn. A few months ago I would have given it no chance, but with Nikon preparing to release an APS-C mirrorless I think the chances go up
nikon don't already have an APS-C mirrorless line so for them it makes sense to release something with Z mount and a smaller sensor

EOS M -- I don't follow this series, but I'm sure there will be another model that has an integrated viewfinder, but incorporates the other features of the new M6. As long as the niche market for small and portable exists, the M line will be around.
M="niche market" :ROFLMAO:
maybe only on this forum

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
EOS Rs --Apprx. 83 mp sensor, probably only one version and it will not have an anti-aliasing filter, may be the first Canon body with in-body image stabilization. Otherwise, I expect it will be virtually the same body as the EOS R -- sorry guys, no joystick for you. It's no longer needed with touchscreen focusing. Don't plan on a second card slot either.

1Dx III -- Evolutionary design with improved eye and face detection focusing the major feature. Some increased coverage of autofocus points. Sensor somewhere in the 30-40 mp range. May have IBIS, but only if Canon is confident of the durability and reliability of the feature in a camera built to be abused. I'd give it about 50/50 odds. Incremental increase in frame rate. CFast and SD card slots.

1: Will get, I have a use for very high pixel counts and have held off from the 5DSr because I know they have better sensor tech and AF.
2: Will get if it offers something useful over the current 1DX MkII which I use as a general camera.
3: Will get the M5 MkII to replace my M5, a very capable but fun camera, if it has similar specs to the M6 MkII.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't think they could jump the 1dx to such a high MP. I see less than 30MP.
You might be right. It seems like there is a march toward high megapixels, but I don't know how Canon will approach their flagship bodies. Traditionally, the 1D series has been at the lower end, but I don't know if improvements in sensor design and processing speed will change that. I do think that the 1Dx and the Rx (if it appears) will likely share the same or similar sensors in the same way the R and 5DIV do.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To make some happy, I have edited the reference to "niche."

I constantly hope for an intelligent and civil exchange of ideas and perspectives but am reminded that is beyond the capacity of many forum participants.
With respect, it was rather ironic to call out a 1D X III and an EOS Rx with predictions, then refer to the EOS M line as a niche product because it’s something you don’t care about. Hopefully you realize that the M series generates far more revenue for Canon than the 1-series/Rx ever will.

It’s another example of the extreme disconnect between this forum and the broader ILC market.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I believe the high MP R will have dual card slots and dual processors. IBIS would be great, but this camera's target audience -- portrait and landscape photographers -- would have less of a need for IBIS than others. A new sensor with dynamic range improvements at 70 to 100 MP would make the camera a worthy competitor to the new Sony and Fuji cameras. It would also make it an 'inexpensive' alternative to the lower end medium format cameras.

You made a good list.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
You might be right. It seems like there is a march toward high megapixels, but I don't know how Canon will approach their flagship bodies. Traditionally, the 1D series has been at the lower end, but I don't know if improvements in sensor design and processing speed will change that. I do think that the 1Dx and the Rx (if it appears) will likely share the same or similar sensors in the same way the R and 5DIV do.

In my opinion, the images from the 1dx2 are more editable than files from the 5d4. I'm no sensor engineer but I would guess its because the 1d has less MP.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
With respect, it was rather ironic to call out a 1D X III and an EOS Rx with predictions, then refer to the EOS M line as a niche product because it’s something you don’t care about. Hopefully you realize that the M series generates far more revenue for Canon than the 1-series/Rx ever will.

It’s another example of the extreme disconnect between this forum and the broader ILC market.
Yes, you are correct. Although in my defense, it was late and frankly, I think of all full frame cameras as niche markets as well. In fact, we seem to be at the point that any camera that does not make phone calls is a niche product.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0