Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

JBSF

EOS 80D
Dec 19, 2014
Even without IBIS and a lesser implementation of 4K, Canon has knocked it out of the park with this pricing. I have been eyeing FF for months, and to go with A7 III and a proper adatper would cost me $1,100 more to use my EF lenses. This is going to be a complete no-brainer purchase, and that is obviously Canon's strategy.

Reactions: dlmartin81

snappy604

EOS RP
Jan 25, 2017
While I get your broader point (which has merit), the answer to your specific question about FPS has been reported as 5 FPS max, 4 FPS in servo AF mode.
thanks! guess I missed that when I was skimming the specs. Looks like there is a confirmed update on specs to read... off I go!

Lalumière

I'm New Here
Jan 5, 2019
Montreal
www.pbase.com
I like the sleek and minimalist side of this camera with the EG-E1 extension grip and mount adapter, all for $1299 usd, it will probably be my first full frame camera. Also I already have several EF lenses that I could use and this is a plus for me. I must admit that the 24-105 f/4L kit lens also interests me.

Nov 27, 2013
Of course not (it is doubtful if is going to come in any of the first generation models, although some sources claim it wll)

I wonder, will it be called RP classic after the RP Mark III or RP Mark IV? :)
I think it will be called RIP when discontinued ;)

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
It seems to me that reviews demonstrated that the R battery lasted far longer than the CIPA rating. I would expect the same with the RP. Lasting more than 250 shots seems like a pretty safe bet to me...
No doubt, I average 650-750 with the R over an extended period of time, in the cold.

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.
But a huge number of buyers (perhaps most of them) will be coming from EF mount cameras who already have a library of glass. Making this camera inexpensive and packaging with a mount adapter will entice more existing EF users to move into the system without having to buy a separate adapter. This camera is a great upgrade to (original) 6D users and other who already have FF kit glass like the 24-105 L

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
1299 Dollar = 1150€. This is aggressive pricing!

knight427

EOS T7i
Aug 27, 2018
Has anyone been stalking camera reviewers on social media? I'm wondering who will be the first to post a "first impressions" video from the event (which I assume will be in Cleveland as a cheaper but practical alternative to Hawaii).

RedPixels

I'm New Here
Feb 13, 2019
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.
EF lenses are still a good option if you need to shoot on two different mounts. You can have a 5D Mk4 as your main and use an EOS R(P) as a backup and still use the EF lens. If you are primarily shooting on EOS-R bodies only, then you'd stick to the RF mount. Canon is really trying to entice new users or old Rebel users into the FF mirrorless format so that they can sell them RF glass down the line.

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
holy s***! my M5 and all the lenses for it are going up for sale to fund the RP with the 24-105 stm and a 70-200 f4 :D
i still have some samyang fast manual primes for EF so that's covered :D

mpb001

EOS T7i
Sep 10, 2016
From reading the specs on the RP, although it is indicated as an entry levrl FF mirrorless camera, I see it more as an advanced level camera. Many people favor the conttol mode dial. While, i like seeing settings on my 5DIV on the top LCD, it is just minor. The spec sheet says the body is mag-alloy and polycarbonate. That is good news too. Its probably similar to the composition of the 6DII. Hopefully, the sensor will be improved a little to work well with Digic 8. All in all I think Canon might hit it out of the park with this camera

Feb 6, 2019
WOW. I must say, I am impressed.

I wish they would have announced a kit with the rumored RF 24-240 rather than the adapted EF 24-105 STM, but at this pricing I really have no complaints. I would pick the RF 24-105 anyway.

Amazing. $1299 and they give a free adapter and a free 'extension grip' whatever that last thing is? Nikon charges you $149 for the adapter after the discount. And Sony never gave the grip away, instead charging $349 for it.

Famateur

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
Here's a fun comparison: The 70D launched at $1,199 (body only) in the USA in the fall of 2013. Five-and-a-half years later, the full-frame EOS RP is only $100 more at launch -- and it includes a grip extender and mount adapter. Amazing.

Feb 13, 2019
Did anyone notice that the 4K was only rated for 25 FPS and ~24FPS? What happened to 4K IBP 30FPS that we had in the EOS R? Exact same digic 8 processor but we lose 5 FPS on 4K? What gives....