Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.

I could see video people buying into EF lenses still. The biggest advantage of the adapter is the ability to use ND.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
the RF 35mm is not. as well there's a 24-240 RF coming out that is probably less than 1K not to mention probably a future kit lens of the RP, and it comes with the EF adapter. So a 40mm pancake and 50mm 1.8 say hello if you want cheap lenses.
True about the 35. I think that 24-105 kit is a REALLY compelling price, especially since the reviews for that lens are strong. The faster Canon can get out an 50/85 to match that 35, the more likely they are to hook new users in.
I could see video people buying into EF lenses still. The biggest advantage of the adapter is the ability to use ND.
The adapters with the drop-in filters are really cool. Such a simple little add on that Canon is great about finding in their products.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Its really bad for forward compatibility to be buying EF lenses if you're buying into the RF system brand new. I know Sony's lack of truly native stuff is what kept me from staying with them over time, and thats an issue that's been sorted out.

I guess Canon has the benefit of not caring if people buy EF or RF, but its still not as strong a hook if you're adapting lenses.
Again, absolutely not with Sony, the A-mount of Canon EF was never supported to this level even in the DSLRs, DPAF has been working flawlessly with EF glass ever since it came out (I actually prefer it on the 6D Mark II with a Sigma 50/1.4 ART, maybe not as quick, but it is more consistent than with the mirror)
And it has only gotten more advanced since then.

If you buy the afromentioned EF lenses (and many many more) cheap enough, and feel like ok I will replace them with RF glass that are being discounted, then you can resell them with basically no loss at all. Financially much smarter than paying the full retail prices for RF lenses.

Not to mention the filter adapters, those only work with EF lenses that are still the standard for video production.

Upvote 0
I would like to see: a) some reviews/shots of the R w/the ND adapter and the 11-24mm f4L lens, and b) some video footage with an STM lens.

I'm contemplating giving this a jump for a travel cam and timelapse. I'll definitely review it for the ND with the Samyang 14mm 2.8 since the ND needed for that lens is a PITA to carry around.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Those specs from Clifton Cameras show battery life of 250. So won't actual usage be even lower?
Yeah, though that makes sense based off the battery (1000mAh instead of 1800+mAh).

EOS R was rated
Approx. 370 shots (at 23°C)9
Approx. 350 (at 0°C)

A7III
Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder)
approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor)

Upvote 0
Yeah, though that makes sense based off the battery (1000mAh instead of 1800+mAh).

EOS R was rated
Approx. 370 shots (at 23°C)9
Approx. 350 (at 0°C)

A7III
Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder)
approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor)

It seems to me that reviews demonstrated that the R battery lasted far longer than the CIPA rating. I would expect the same with the RP. Lasting more than 250 shots seems like a pretty safe bet to me...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
won't lie, that price is tempting... but Canon has been pretty consistent in curbing features (many that are just software!) to tier their offerrings and maximize their profit. Wondering what might be curbed here. The 5FPS for example.. in what mode? the R had very different FPS speeds depending on mode.
While I get your broader point (which has merit), the answer to your specific question about FPS has been reported as 5 FPS max, 4 FPS in servo AF mode.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Sorry my post has gone a little rogue here (off-topic). One final statement. What is the number 1 cause of friction in any relationship? Whether inter-personal, or say between a customer and a business (of any kind)?
Answer:
Our expectations - of the other party/person, product, service, etc.

Example: Canon's 6D Mk II.
Does the 6d Mk II take great images? Does it work properly? ...? ...? etc.? By all accounts, from those that purchased it, YES.

Does it have short-comings? Yes

Has every camera model introduced over the last 80 years had short-comings (for the time it was introduced)? realistically. YES.

But some, even many, models have at least met, if not exceeded, EXPECTATIONS. Example: 5D, 5D Mk III, in some ways the 5D Mk II (think video), 1DX, F1, AE-1, T-90, EOS 620, (and these are just a few of Canon's models).

Regarding the 6DII it is safe to say that the pricing and the timing (mirrorless already being firmly present) and not utilizing available resources (seeing what the 1DXII sensor has in terms of capabilities shows that Canon is not actually behind in technology but they know what to put in which model) that lead to the hate. And it may have been justified to some extent if we see how much it cost back then and how much it is now, not to mention the RP being the same formula, but in a more modern form at an attractive price (and with 4k video), that might make its value go down further.
Maybe it is already time to sell mine despite getting it for a low price (and stack up on LP-E17 batteries as we are probably back to old Sony levels of runtime, anyone knows a good source for them?)

Upvote 0
While Canon doesn't like to share roadmaps of its products, it does cause consumers to make uninformed decisions. For me, I passed on the original R because it was just too much like my existing 5D III & IV which are workhorses for my event photography and portrait businesses. That said, I am a bit of a gear junkie and decided to spend some money elsewhere and now have a Fuji X-T3, 18-55 f2.8, 50-140 f2.8, and the 100-400. I really like the Fuji gear and am pretty sure a second body is in order soon.

However had I known a less expensive option to move to a Canon mirrorless was coming, I likely would have waited. Sigh.

I still am waiting for a 1 DX Mark II mirrorless option though which is what I really wanted and needed.

Upvote 0