Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

A lot of consumers (especially from the EOS RP target market) don't look at B&H, but visit Costco every week or two.

Costco means volumes. If Canon (unlike Sony) can deliver the volumes that are meaningful to Costco, Costco is a very good channel to promote EOS R brand.

But of course, Canon has nothing to sell there (yet) until RF 24-240 is ready.
Costco squeezes the margins of their supplier more than BH. They’d only go with them if they have to

Upvote 0
All this talk of Costco. When will they stock it?
Precisely. I wonder why Canon would prioritize selling through a channel that will just squeeze them more on their margins than BH.

Oh... wait. I must make fun of the products the RP is priced near to because I don’t understand business.

BH still doesn’t sell roasted chicken.

Upvote 0
You also miss the point. If you can't or won't buy the body you like because it's expensive, wait for it to come down in price. Why bother with these entry-level & midrange models if it doesn't satisfy your needs. Wait for your dream body to go down to the price you can afford. You just argued that you agree with me.
What’s there to like about the RP to wait for it to go down in price? Most buyers buy a camera for a specific event to use with and buy whatever fits their budget.

If they’re spec obsessed like you then wait wait wait and wait for the 1DX2 to become $20 from Costco. It will come bundled with a dozen eggs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Costco squeezes the margins of their supplier more than BH. They’d only go with them if they have to
If they want to sell it to the target audience of the camera, they will go with the brick and mortar chains too, and Costco is no exception.

What are you actually arguing about? Will the target market buy the camera because of its price? The Costco is relevant. Will a price-conscious advanced amateur find a cheaper camera on the Internet? Then 5D2 is relevant. Or what?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I predict the release price of the RP is going to be around 1500€ in Europe. Whether there will be extras included remains to be seen.

And why is the M50 in the US 629 $ and in Germany 550 EUR? Some negativ tax for APS-C format cameras? Both body only.

Looks like the RP+adapter preorder kit is 1499€ on amazon.de. 1599€ in Finnish stores (not surprising). I rest my case.

Whatever discounts the M50 may have is immaterial. It's a year-old body already.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
What’s there to like about the RP to wait for it to go down in price? Most buyers buy a camera for a specific event to use with and buy whatever fits their budget.

If they’re spec obsessed like you then wait wait wait and wait for the 1DX2 to become $20 from Costco. It will come bundled with a dozen eggs
Huh? You just contradicted yourself. Earlier you said people don't care how old a brand new camera is as long as it fits their budget. Thanks for arguing that you agree with me once again.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013

You're the one who's spec-obsessed because you were saying it's better to just buy the old A7s at the same price range as the new RP. Lolz. Millennials and their poor thinking, argumentation and rhetorical skills... Sigh.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013

And also your non-sequitur point about B&H still selling old A7 bodies that have better specs in the same price range online as the new RP doesn't mean brick&mortar stores are readily displaying these bodies for sale to buyers who's primary consideration is price and not Sony fanghey specsheet comparos...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
Doesn’t matter, those are the camera bodies that it competes with and are the options of buyers today.

You're missing the point.

Whether it be last month's model or last decade's model it is immaterial.

Not everyone buys the latest camera on the market. Majority of buyers are price sensitive so if they find the RP too expensive then they go with a cheaper option.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. We have a self-ownage here.

Upvote 0
Looks like the RP+adapter preorder kit is 1499€ on amazon.de. 1599€ in Finnish stores (not surprising). I rest my case.

Whatever discounts the M50 may have is immaterial. It's a year-old body already.

You were right with your prediction for the RP - maybe this is a market decision: US market is larger and there you can maybe sell tons of RPs to make profit while there are not enough germans who will buy the camera @ e.g. 1350 EUR and whose who would do that do pay 1500 EUR too. Or the german buyer is hot for sales prices (hotter than others) so they come from a higher price to fulfill the emotions like (hey it was 15% off, good deal). Who knows.

EDIT: The formula 1 / (Dollar/EUR) x 1.19 (german tax) works well and results in a ~ 5 difference
now 1.19 / (1.13) x [PRICE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
You were right with your prediction for the RP - maybe this is a market decision: US market is larger and there you can maybe sell tons of RPs to make profit while there are not enough germans who will buy the camera @ e.g. 1350 EUR and whose who would do that do pay 1500 EUR too.

US retail prices are in general lower for many reasons; among others the fact that employee costs are lower. And in Finland (where I'm from) things are even more expensive than in Germany due to a smaller market, higher shipping costs, and a higher VAT rate (24% vs 19%).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
US retail prices are in general lower for many reasons; among others the fact that employee costs are lower. And in Finland (where I'm from) things are even more expensive than in Germany due to a smaller market, higher shipping costs, and a higher VAT rate (24% vs 19%).
Off Topic Question: Are there other taxes besides VAT? In the U.S. there is no VAT yet. Some states charge sales tax, some don't. Then some localities also add sales tax. I'm just curious about how that works. Unfortunately, I can see a VAT in our future, on top of everything else.

Upvote 0
Off Topic Question: Are there other taxes besides VAT? In the U.S. there is no VAT yet. Some states charge sales tax, some don't. Then some localities also add sales tax. I'm just curious about how that works. Unfortunately, I can see a VAT in our future, on top of everything else.
In the UK there is only VAT.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

To put that in numbers: The RP is €1519 in the Netherlands with 21% VAT included, so it's €1200 without tax. With the current euro/dollar exchange rate that amounts to $1355.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Most products and services only have VAT. Depending on country, there are typically several VAT classes (eg. in Finland necessities like food, drugs, and transit have a lower VAT rate). Things that generate negative externalities may have additional taxes besides VAT (in Finland this includes fuel, tobacco, and alcohol).

Upvote 0