Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Hoping for a body without EVF.... (use the add-on EVF if you need EVF) like an FF EOS-M6.

Yeah, and that would be perfect with the optional grip that seems to be coming. We can decide for ourselves how compact to go! Though I'd be happy to see a built-in rangefinder style EVF...

Upvote 0
If true, this camera would be an awesome buy.

The sensor on the R is already excellent. All one needs do is buy good glass and the RF glass are getting excellent reviews.

With the control ring and an extra dial, the ergonomics/control would be excellent. With Canon's excellent menu system coupled with class leading touch screen, this would be a wonderful camera to use. If they have the same level of customization as the R, that would be crazy.

5 FPS with servo AF and video AF rounds off the basic needs. And a headphone jack? Wow.

With the specs listed at USD $1300, the RP would be a steal for any Canon user. Canon would still need a cheap lens (50mm?) to have a low priced camera kit to lure in non-Canon users into the fold.

Upvote 0
I hope that it won't be the case. Side-articulated LCD is great for video, but completely useless on tripod with L-bracket.
Absolutely correct. I just received my Small Rig L-bracket for the R and it certainly restricts movement. By the way, I got it at the pre-order price of $59 and it’s a steal at that price! Up to $79 now, so still a great deal.

Upvote 0

Bilal

80D
Sep 10, 2018
Since it already has canon log and articulated screen and rumored price is $1300. All i want is 120fps at 1080 and this is my dream camera. Dont need full frame 4K. Dont need dual card and ibis. It already has everything that fullfills my requirments. People should be realistic with what they need to do the job rather then what want. Stop complaining and switch to sony if this camera is holding you back from your potential.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Panic has set in at Canon. Next will be the $ 999 RP followed by a 499 RP with a microscopic strip in the middle of the sensor doing 4k.
:rolleyes: I would imagine a $499 RP would hit the ball out of the park. But that won't happen. Canon ain't in no panic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sure, but using it on a tripod with L bracket is only a small part of use, and folded flat with it's screen facing out really isn't any different than right now without a flip out screen. If this becomes a standard thing with flip outs on all future canon cameras, some manufacturers of L plates will come up with different solutions, and on a deeper body it's easier to make an L plate that is just shifted forward a bit on the side to allow the flip screen to be angled straight up at 90 degrees (to keep is "level" with the new orientation while on it's side). We might even see a screen on a 1dx that is just as tall as it is wide to account for this. It really depends if Canon wants to more or less keep the same dimensions .
I've never used an L bracket anyway. On tripod, for me, an articulated screen makes the camera/tripod combo easier to use. And you're right, for many of us a tripod is seldom used. Canon appealing to the broader market. Smart.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
400g sounds impressive, but add on to that the weight of the battery (do we know what type is being used yet? LP-E17 is 45.5g, and LP-E6N is 79.4g

And then add on the weight of the lens. Currently the only kit lens is the 24-105 RF at 695g, giving a total package of no less than 1140g. The A7III with kit lens and battery weighs 945g.

The only way to do better than that is for a new lighter kit lens - which I am pretty sure we'll see. Maybe something like a 28-80 3.5-5.6 , or maybe a 24-70 f/4 who knows...

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
400g sounds impressive, but add on to that the weight of the battery (do we know what type is being used yet? LP-E17 is 45.5g, and LP-E6N is 79.4g

And then add on the weight of the lens. Currently the only kit lens is the 24-105 RF at 695g, giving a total package of no less than 1140g. The A7III with kit lens and battery weighs 945g.

The only way to do better than that is for a new lighter kit lens - which I am pretty sure we'll see. Maybe something like a 28-80 3.5-5.6 , or maybe a 24-70 f/4 who knows...
I would be openly stunned if they dont use the LP-E6N. Its THE battery on every even loosely pro model they have, and if the intention (as it seems) with this camera is to take everyone disappointed in the 6D Mark II and everyone lingering on the Sony fence from a 70D/80D upgrade, then swapping the battery on them isnt gonna go well. Especially if we'd end up with Sony first gen battery life as a result, which becomes unusable in the field.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Panic has set in at Canon.

Yes..... panic.....

They have a body that will entice high end crop shooters into FF, and they will sell that camera at a higher price than the crop camera, and the buyers will probably get some new lenses too....

panic.....

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Wow! Even if it's 1300 euros, for a starting price, not bad!! Just wait until Black Friday and you can probably grab one for 1100 and if the rumored pro R camera comes out around then, everything else will drop a bit.
I already know this one has a single SD card slot, but I'm not complaining! This camera will change a lot of things if it comes out to be true.

Upvote 0
Maybe it is a "link camera" between longer existing EF glass and RF glass. In my case I have some Canon lenses which are perfect on the classic 5D and very good on APS-C sensors with 24 MPix - all these lenses are more than good enough for a 24 MPix sensor just the old EF 24 2.8 non-USM, non-IS. But the 24-240 is an interesting lens with very high flexibility for stills and video. So maybe this will be my next lens.
The crop is perfect for APS-C lenses - the 10-22 lens will be a 16-35 mm lens again. I think it is the M50 equivalent in EOS R land and price wise it is the same relation like EOS R and EOS M5 so the equation should be valid (entry prices):

price(M5) : price(M50) = price(EOS R) : price(EOS RP) ~ 2

M50 is a fun camera because it makes fun because it is a good tool to make good photos (as good as the photographer) in most situations.
EOS RP will be the same fun (if the spec list is 90% correct). I will enjoy better low and high ISO quality due to the FF sensor and - often said here - enjoy to explore the possibilities of my FD glass and if it doesn't qualify it will be sold.

I expect a smaller battery with ~ 250 pics per charge. If this camera will run on battery (peak current) & power bank (live view current + recharging) it will be a great video camera too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0