Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, if it's sub-$800 it's still a pretty good deal and an excellent way of having an entry-level model. And then there's the matter of design. The original A7 is more appealing than the later models and the ergonomics are good enough for small lenses and casual use.
Very true, as long as the overheating during video isn't a problem for the buyer. I think this version had a lot of trouble with that. Weather sealing too. Of course, don't know what the weather sealing will be like on the RP. Canon seems to do a great job at it though.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
According to Nokishita Camera, the battery will be LP-E17 same as the M5/M6, so the camera will be more compact.
Seems a move like this is the only way to get the weight of the body so low. No mention of a electronic viewfinder either, right? Which might be part of what makes a smaller battery possible on FF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Seems a move like this is the only way to get the weight of the body so low. No mention of a electronic viewfinder either, right? Which might be part of what makes a smaller battery possible on FF.

not really.

there's not much difference power draw between an APS-C based 24MP camera and a full frame 24MP camera, there's slightly more power usage, but it's not extreme. The M50 uses an even smaller battery than the LP-E17. The M5 and M6 run just fine with an 2.35M EVF and 24MP. and an LP-E17.

Upvote 0
I guess the real question here is are we sure that this is a full frame camera? the LP-E17 only has 1040 mAh, while every other new-ish full frame camera out there right now has almost double that capacity. Using anything smaller than an LP-E6N seems really off for a full frame camera to me... Unless it takes 2 LP-E17's.

Upvote 0
I guess the real question here is are we sure that this is a full frame camera? the LP-E17 only has 1040 mAh, while every other new-ish full frame camera out there right now has almost double that capacity. Using anything smaller than an LP-E6N seems really off for a full frame camera to me... Unless it takes 2 LP-E17's.

yeah it looks weird.

chart2.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A massive number of current generation phone photographers might have zero experience with EVF's or OVF's, and therefore little desire for one.
I’m a rather ancient photographer. I only have a mobile ‘phone because my wife insists I carry one when I’m out and about. I never take pictures with the ‘phone. I always said I’d never want a camera without an EVF or OVF. I bought a Fujifilm X-T10 to serve as a lighter companion to my 7DMll and 5DMll. I find I use the flip out screen for composing 75% + of the time rather than the EVF. I surprised myself. It works well. Having said that, I prefer a camera to have an EVF. The quality of the picture isn’t conditional on whether the camera has an EVF or OVF but on the ability and intent of the photographer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

except the M50,etc weight includes battery. the CR rumor weight could be without battery and just the camera itself, which is .. kind of what it says?

• Camera weight is 400g, the lightest full-frame mirrorless camera ever
(edit)
an LP-E17 weighs 45g
so that would make it 445g which would fit in well with your chart.

The Sony A7 (original) weighed in at 474g, making the EOS RP the lightest full frame camera out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
except the M50,etc weight includes battery. the CR rumor weight could be without battery and just the camera itself, which is .. kind of what it says?

• Camera weight is 400g, the lightest full-frame mirrorless camera ever
(edit)
an LP-E17 weighs 45g
so that would make it 445g which would fit in well with your chart.

The Sony A7 (original) weighed in at 474g, making the EOS RP the lightest full frame camera out there.

oops my mistake, was just using the info from digital picture's website. updated that chart.chart2.png

it still comes in really close to the M5's weight so maybe there is an EVF.?

still wish it was a LP-E6N battery (if the rumors are true).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A massive number of current generation phone photographers might have zero experience with EVF's or OVF's, and therefore little desire for one.

Most of the pictures I take are with the MP-E65 outside, I really don't need EVF/OVF for that. I love using the original M for that, so an M6 style RF camera would give me a better grip hopefully a tilty-flippy screen.

Upvote 0
I’m a rather ancient photographer. I only have a mobile ‘phone because my wife insists I carry one when I’m out and about. I never take pictures with the ‘phone. I always said I’d never want a camera without an EVF or OVF. I bought a Fujifilm X-T10 to serve as a lighter companion to my 7DMll and 5DMll. I find I use the flip out screen for composing 75% + of the time rather than the EVF. I surprised myself. It works well. Having said that, I prefer a camera to have an EVF. The quality of the picture isn’t conditional on whether the camera has an EVF or OVF but on the ability and intent of the photographer.
I'd agree with this. I shoot almost exclusively landscapes and ~95% of those are on a tripod in live view - I would be comfortable with using the camera with only live view and no EVF. I've been thinking about the EOS R as a relatively light weight and small backup to my 5D IV, but if this comes in at this weight and price, I'd be looking at this as an option. At near a half pound less than the R, and hopefully really small, this could suit as an emergency backup which can be added to a bag with little weight/size penalties. I'd certainly prefer it with an LP-E6N though. No doubt my needs aren't everyone's needs, but I can certainly see a market for such a product.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0