Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Did you notice that 4 of the 5 rumored lenses have optical IS?
Great point. However, systems with IBIS does not preclude having lots of IS lenses, particularly if they are dual IBIS. But, at this point, that's asking a lot from Canon (coming from a Canon user - put your flamethrowers away).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I’m not a big fan of this “small and light” idea even though the rest is still very promising!
I have tons of 80D batteries that have double the capacity of this smaller battery, and I think the form factor of the R is already perfect.. not too heavy or light, and balanced

The EOS R is very good in ergonomics. I would hate to see Canon ruin the ergo in the name of lightless and size.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
The EOS R is very good in ergonomics. I would hate to see Canon ruin the ergo in the name of lightless and size.

I'm fine if Canon has one R model that's a smaller form factor, as long as there are DLSR-sized models as well. I don't think there's one size that's going to make everyone happy and Canon has never had a problem introducing lots of models to try to appeal to as many people as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
This rumor makes perfect sense to me. Low price to capture a large market share in FF mirrorless (“stop” Sony, Nikon and Panasonic). Presumably very good in terms of AF, grip and with decent handling for most amateurs. Smaller battery, less megapixels, poorer build quality and poorer EVF to separate it from the more expensive EOS R.

I guess one or two of the 8 lenses that will be announced will be smaller and lighter lenses.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I would LOVE a M6 styled RP .. add on EVF via hotshoe if you really need it. Bonus if you could still use the EVF-DC1 which was a tilting viewfinder.

At first I found the no EVF idea to be plausible, but I think Canon are aiming at the Sony A7 III with this one, and for that reason I believe they will match the A7III’s viewfinder.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
the M5 is excellent and much much smaller than an EOS R. Canon can do it and there's always the; the cameras not for you if you don't like the ergonomics.

My primary is a 1DX2 so there's that. The inclusion of the second mode dial will be a nice. I found it hard to use it on the EOS R. Didn't care much for the Touch Bar. The LP-E6N sized grip

Upvote 0

Based on what Canon has been doing with the M series, it looks like Canon will do a fantastic job and offer a variety of model sizes with different ergonomics for different sizes and uses!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
This makes me more surprised about the lens announcements a couple of days ago. There is only one zoom in that which could go in a kit with a camera with these specs. makes me think there may be 1 or more additional non-L lenses coming. Hard to believe they would just push new users (especially those upgrading from APS-C to have to use EF lenses plus adaptor. I mean it's possible to use their old (assuming they are Canon APS-C users) EF-S lenses on the EOS R series but surely not as a first option?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This makes me more surprised about the lens announcements a couple of days ago. There is only one zoom in that which could go in a kit with a camera with these specs. makes me think there may be 1 or more additional non-L lenses coming. Hard to believe they would just push new users (especially those upgrading from APS-C to have to use EF lenses plus adaptor. I mean it's possible to use their old (assuming they are Canon APS-C users) EF-S lenses on the EOS R series but surely not as a first option?
If there is little downside to using older, "bargain priced" EF lenses, consumers will buy them--and Canon will clear them out of inventory.

Upvote 0
I'm not sold on the idea of ef lenses as the "cheap" option as there are not any current full frame lenses that really hit that mark. The efs lenses would fit the inexpensive mark, but the R auto crops them to a small aps c sized area. My guess is either 2 lenses we don't know yet, or the 24-240 is the kit and will be priced together at 1999.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

I think we'll see a version of the 24-105 3.5-5.6 STM

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Depends where you buy though right?

Currently I can get the EOS R for 1369 GBP
This would make the RP about a grand on import.

LP-E6 batteries are around 60GBP so a few extra batteries and we aren't far off.

Wow! If you can get the R for over 1,000 off the Canon Authorized dealer price, I would snatch up a few! (or be suspicious!)

For the rest of us buying at regular price:
EOS R at 2,349 GBP
Higher Rumored price of RP (US $ +50 to estimate GBP ) 1,649 GBP
Difference = 700 GBP/ 64 GBP for battery = 10.94 batteries.

My bad, I did say 15 batteries. I stand corrected! For those buying 10 to 11 batteries with your RP, you may as well get the R.

Upvote 0