Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Jan 21, 2015
Will they? I’m somewhat into photography ;) and I chose the M6 over the M5 for its smaller size. The lack of an EVF doesn’t bother me.
Yeah some will, for the reason of size, desire smallest and lightest, but most of the light and small crowd will go APS-C just as you have. I certainly look forward to a GX7III without an EVF for the same reason. FF body and lenses though oh my, an EVF please.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I like this form factor, can Canon make a APS-C mirrorless camera to replace 90D or 7D at around $900-1300?
It might take years. For now, Canon will probably keep on rolling with the M5 Mark II and M6 Mark II as crop sensor mirrorless cameras (with 1-2 more lenses, or maybe a focal reducer to have stronger ties tp EF-mount glass)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Now, recent rumors talks about kit with 24-105 f4L.
It appears unbalanced for the cost of the lens (1300$ camera and about 1000$ lens)

I imagine at some point in the future, the RP will be paired with a cheaper consumer level zoom, but at the moment, this is the logical choice unless they announce a cheaper consumer zoom to be released at the same time as the RP.

Upvote 0
If it were $500, I'd have to consider it carefully, since my only use for it is on my telescope. At $800, I'm a definite no way.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that my scope's widest settings combined with my 7D Mark II doesn't result in the moon fitting in the frame, so I have to shoot panoramas during lunar eclipse events. Also, my 7DII doesn't have an articulating display making it pretty hard to use in some positions when the scope is on the mount and looking up. But that's the only problem I'm trying to solve. I've considered solving it with a smaller scope, which I can get for about $399. But I'm not that fond of RCs and my current scope has almost four times the light collection area so I'd rather just have a larger sensor. I still have my old 5D but the sensor isn't the best and the big problem is that it doesn't have live view so it's really, really hard to focus. No articulating display also.

But how much am I willing to spend to make shooting lunar eclipse shots easier? Not that much, especially when I got this with my 5D and my current scope. It's not easy to beat this.

5D_57776.jpg
Amazing pic. $800 with printer rebate. After getting rod off printer and other stuff came with bundle, price might be very reasonable. 6D2 printer bundle with grip, and extra battery was $950.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I imagine at some point in the future, the RP will be paired with a cheaper consumer level zoom, but at the moment, this is the logical choice unless they announce a cheaper consumer zoom to be released at the same time as the RP.
Although that's not in the current rumour - I think there is a really good chance this will happen. Seems weird to have only an 'L' kit lens choice, and they will be looking to sell a big volume of these if the RRP is at the levels rumoured.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I like this form factor, can Canon make a APS-C mirrorless camera to replace 90D or 7D at around $900-1300?
You'll never get a 7D equivalent mirrorless for that price, because of the need for pro-level body and weather sealing. Hard actually to see it in the APS-C based EOS M series at all because of the size (including dual DIGICs and card slots). Given the cropping potential of mirrorless FFs, there would be an argument to just use the future pro (or high MP) version in crop mode if you really wanted the equivalent of the 7Dii. Which all brings us back to the timing of such a future pro version. If it actually is 2020, then a 7Diii might still be a possibility, although it is not really due yet on traditional timeframes.

Upvote 0