Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Biggest disappointment:
Despite 6.5 years between launch of 6D and RP, the sensor will gain me little if any benefit versus what I already have. But a camera is more than its sensor, so at the right price, this is not a deal breaker for me.

Honestly the situation wasn't much different 6.5 years ago. The top DR hasn't changed, defined by the D8x0 series. It's just that the A7r3 and A73 caught up to the D8x0. Canon hasn't quite caught up, but the 5D4 was a significant step forward. We talk about high ISO improvements but they are fractional stop improvements. Top resolution (in FF) is still set by the 5Ds/sr, though Nikon and Sony inched closer.

I hope Canon did put ADCs on chip in the RP sensor, though that still wouldn't silence the naysayers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I am afraid it is a human failing that (some) people will not back down or admit they are wrong despite proof to the contrary, and not necessarily because they are paid to troll.
Yep! But it is also how trolls operate, paid or not.

I guess it says a lot when members in here are not seeking knowledge or treating facts as facts. I have no issues with differences in opinion or preferences, but I cannot deal with thos ignoring facts.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yep! But it is also how trolls operate, paid or not.

I guess it says a lot when members in here are not seeking knowledge or treating facts as facts. I have no issues with differences in opinion or preferences, but I cannot deal with thos ignoring facts.
Again, I am afraid it is all too common to ignore facts and to twist meaning. At the end of the day, it doesn't mean that much when it's for photography but it mirrors the wider society for real issues that are really important.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...By the way, anyone know why Canon is getting rid of the scroll wheel on their FF mirrorless models? This is my favorite part of the hardware UI.

Probably because of the size, it takes up a lot of real estate.

It may also be that with touch screens, there is less need for scrolling with a wheel. Although I always forget that I can scroll with a finger swipe.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
'Full blown BIF' :D:D .
Great Blue Heron.
pardon the quality, poor man's camera-lens combo!
1) (77D, 55-250 IS STM, f5.6, ISO-100, 1/320, 233mm)
2)(77D, 55-250 IS STM, f5.6, ISO-100, 1/640, 233mm)

Still great shots, though the second didn't quite hit focus.

My 55-250 IS II, on a Rebel t4i, was good for outdoor event photography (below), cheapness be damned ;)

2018 Columbia Slough Regatta (181).jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
To me the main question is, what Canon will do with their existing fullframe DSLR line. Being the happy owner of the 6D "Classic", and more than a handfull of good glasses, I am split of what to do. Finally buy a 24-70 L f/2.8 , and then - later - a 5D mk IV og a V (when ever it comes) - of simply stay put with what I got and in a couple of years or so by a 5D equivalent EOS R, a RF 24-70 f/2.8 and then "adapt" the rest of my EF lenses.....
I fully understand that Canon is focusing on the R-series - but damn I would like to see a roadmap for the DSLR line and the "R-line"......
I was in a virtually identical position to you before Xmas, and succumbed to the EOS R on Black Friday. The reality is that they won't provide a roadmap, because it would effect people's buying patterns. The EOS R would not have sold as well as it has if people knew there was a cheaper, more consumer based version being announced in Feb. Similarly the sale of APS-C and EOS M cameras pre-Xmas. So, they cash in on 'early adopters' with EOS R.

There is almost certainly a higher MP EOS R coming later this year, but to announce a formal timeline would (i) cannibalise EOS R sales, and (ii) cannibalise 5Ds sales. Plus, they almost certainly want the flexibility to stagger the releases depending upon how sales go on the early models. Probably a genuine pro-model pre the Olympics next year. They have been much more open on RF lenses - 2019 is RF year. And the certifcations are coming thick and fast. I think there is a very clear strategy to move existing Canon users into mirrorless over the next coup[le of years.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Again, I am afraid it is all too common to ignore facts and to twist meaning. At the end of the day, it doesn't mean that much when it's for photography but it mirrors the wider society for real issues that are really important.
Very true indeed, and to some degree most, if not all, of us suffer to some degree of this phenomenon..

Upvote 0
The biggest problem many people dont understand or at least acknowlodge here, since this is a forum dedicated to one brand is the time=progression when it comes to technology. If something is new we expect it to be better than what came before it. I see a lot of excuses and sales "figures" and other stuff . Simply put if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better ( and possibly smaller) than a past model. If not the price should just be much lower than what it derived from. With Canon we dont really get that. There are more side grades than upgrades until a significant amount of time goes by in technology standards. Here is the idea simplified anything released 2020>2019>2018>2017>2016 etc. I dont see how peopel get so defensive about that criticism. Do you not want to get more for your money if possible unless you collect profit from the money being saved....

I tried to bring up this point but people got so defensive as if it's a personal attack against them.

If there are no significant upgrade, I wouldn't consider upgrading my current camera to FF mirrorless. There got to be a substantial improvements in multiple area for me to consider otherwise I would rather skip a generation like I did with Canon 6D II. I don't shoot video so Canon weakness in that area doesn't matter to me. I understand this camera and EOS R wasn't target to me, but I was just discussing how Canon 6D II is an incremental upgrade over 6D after 5 years while being much more expensive.

The same thing is occurring with smart phones nowaday. If there isn't a significant upgrade for me, I wouldn't upgrade and pay the premium to buy a new phone.

My account was created since 2016 and yet people called me a troll and pointed about sales figures. I hope Canon share some of those profits with you guys.

If you look at my post history, I have blame Sony for poor ergonomic, poor EVF, fully touch screen LCD but also give praise where it needed to be which is competitive price, better eyeAF, IBIS, dual card slot in all their camera. Even at $1600 A7III, the poor EVF and ergonomic wasn't enough to sway me to buy it.

If they just add 5.6 million EVF in their A7III with fully touch screen like a6400 and implement the new eyeAF, I would seriously consider that camera.

Canon doesn't need to do a lot to get my money - dual card slot, add joystick, add IBIS, better sensor than 5D IV, and better eyeAF. I don't care about 4K. If they charge $3500, I'll buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The biggest problem many people dont understand or at least acknowlodge here, since this is a forum dedicated to one brand is the time=progression when it comes to technology. If something is new we expect it to be better than what came before it. I see a lot of excuses and sales "figures" and other stuff . Simply put if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better ( and possibly smaller) than a past model. If not the price should just be much lower than what it derived from. With Canon we dont really get that. There are more side grades than upgrades until a significant amount of time goes by in technology standards. Here is the idea simplified anything released 2020>2019>2018>2017>2016 etc. I dont see how peopel get so defensive about that criticism. Do you not want to get more for your money if possible unless you collect profit from the money being saved....
The problem I have with your point is that you are not being honest about what you are criticizing.
You offer the point then new cameras should be (and I quote) " better than what came before it" OR " the price should just be much lower than what it derived from" - and you leave it there, but can you name a single Canon camera which fails this test of being "Better then what came before or lower cost than what came before"??
I have no problem with debating bad points of Canon's cameras - but you should be clear with the accusation and you should understande if people hold different opinions. Also, Cameras should be judged as a whole - every camera out there has good point and bad points (even the ones with Sony on the front) . To focus exclusively on the bad points and ignore the good is not very balanced is it?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I tried to bring up this point but people got so defensive as if it's a personal attack against them.

If there are no significant upgrade, I wouldn't consider upgrading my current camera to FF mirrorless. There got to be a substantial improvements in multiple area for me to consider otherwise I would rather skip a generation like I did with Canon 6D II. I don't shoot video so Canon weakness in that area doesn't matter to me. I understand this camera and EOS R wasn't target to me, but I was just discussing how Canon 6D II is an incremental upgrade over 6D after 5 years while being much more expensive...

I'm having a hard time believing that anyone on this forum would disagree – provided you add a caveat or two. Everyone must make their own decision about what is important to them, and I don't know of anyone on this forum who criticizes others for saying that a particular camera of any brand doesn't offer the features that they personally want or doesn't offer what they personally consider to be a sufficient upgrade.

What is always going to get people stirred up are blanket pronouncements, such as what RayValdez360 said, "...if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better...With Canon we dont really get that."

This was stated as fact and as a blanket statement, with absolutely nothing to back it up. And frankly, it's just not true. Every generation of Canon cameras is objectively better than the previous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to whether or not the improvements are sufficient to justify purchasing a new model, but no one is entitled to just make up things.

Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time believing that anyone on this forum would disagree – provided you add a caveat or two. Everyone must make their own decision about what is important to them, and I don't know of anyone on this forum who criticizes others for saying that a particular camera of any brand doesn't offer the features that they personally want or doesn't offer what they personally consider to be a sufficient upgrade.

What is always going to get people stirred up are blanket pronouncements, such as what RayValdez360 said, "...if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better...With Canon we dont really get that."

This was stated as fact and as a blanket statement, with absolutely nothing to back it up. And frankly, it's just not true. Every generation of Canon cameras is objectively better than the previous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to whether or not the improvements are sufficient to justify purchasing a new model, but no one is entitled to just make up things.

I mentioned previously that there are no bad camera for the past 5 years and just a poorl value one. I did talk about how 6D II was a disappointing release especially at its release price of $2000. The sensor is more or less the same with more AF, articulating LCD, fully touch screen. None of those features really convince me to upgrade one of my 2 Canon 6D camera to 6D II. Canon 6D can be had for $700 used on craiglist. Thus I got a 5D IV instead.

Canon 6D II took 5 years to release. It has a more AF points that's mostly center, articulating LCD and fully touch screen. Is it worth paying $2000 for? People argue the sensor is not worst that's it's -0.5 EV of each other. Even it's tie, I wouldn't want to shell $1300 extra money for articulating LCD and more AF points.

I get comment such as these.

Amazing how the Sony trolls all sign up for an account when a new Canon is released. Since the first R was released, there have been many more of you. Gotta wonder how desperate Sony is getting, if Sony is paying trolls.

Sony troll that uses canon all his life?

It amazing that a life long Canon user can't be critical of Canon for churning products after product for incremental increase yet commanding expensive price. The same goes for their 70-200 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 III.

Upvote 0
As I recall it fast M-mount lenses have serious vignetting issues as well as corner sharpness issues until stopped down quite a bit

I haven't been able to find any M-mount fast wide prime reviews on EOS RF, but I found some data on RF 35mm f1.8. At f/1.8, vignetting is more than 3.5EV near corners (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=1224). Compare this to Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di which has about 1.8 EV vignetting wide open at f/1.8 on an EOS 5DS R (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=1003)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Here’s an idea. If you are seriously considering the RP based on the current leaked specs, tell us why with a little context about your use case.

Very brief intro:
I’m interested in the RP as a replacement for my 6D, which is my only camera. I’m a hobbyist with no aspirations to make money through photography. My most demanding use cases are birds in flight, daughters on stage (dance) and scenic astrophotography (aka milky way landscape).

Rumored specs most interesting to me:
AF at small apertures so I can use my extenders on the 100-400ii for more than landscape and moon photos (f/8 lets me use the 1.4x, f/11 like the R would allow me to use my 2x)

Better AF with more points

Price

Non-critical extras:
I’d be interested in trying video for family events, I tried it once on my 6D and decided it was better to just be I the moment that have crappy out of focus video with loud lens sounds. (user incompetence MIGHT have had a bit to do with this)

I might as well get going on building my RF lens collection before my EF lenses are officially obsoleted

A smaller body might be nice, but might not given how much I like shooting with my 100-400. I will eventually get the 70-200 f/2.8, and the thought of that being short (due to telescoping) plus this small body sounds appealing for travel and general use.

Biggest disappointment:
Despite 6.5 years between launch of 6D and RP, the sensor will gain me little if any benefit versus what I already have. But a camera is more than its sensor, so at the right price, this is not a deal breaker for me.
I'd be interested in the RP to replace my mistake in buying an M43 Olympus for my wife. I can appreciate the FF sensor and the approximately 20gr difference in weight. The menu system will be more familiar. It will also give me a second FF camera with more focus points and spread than a 6D or 6D II would give. I would imagine the sensor is better than that of my 5D Mark III, which I have zero complaints about. I shoot 99% fashion and portrait stills. The video features don't mean anything to me. The camera will be still small enough and light enough for my wife to handle. So far, it looks like a relatively inexpensive FF camera that will provide great images. People comparing it to an a7r III are not being honest with themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I mentioned previously that there are no bad camera for the past 5 years and just a poorl value one. I did talk about how 6D II was a disappointing release especially at its release price of $2000. The sensor is more or less the same with more AF, articulating LCD, fully touch screen. None of those features really convince me to upgrade one of my 2 Canon 6D camera to 6D II. Canon 6D can be had for $700 used on craiglist. Thus I got a 5D IV instead.

Canon 6D II took 5 years to release. It has a more AF points that's mostly center, articulating LCD and fully touch screen. Is it worth paying $2000 for? People argue the sensor is not worst that's it's -0.5 EV of each other. Even it's tie, I wouldn't want to shell $1300 extra money for articulating LCD and more AF points.

I get comment such as these.

It amazing that a life long Canon user can't be critical of Canon for churning products after product for incremental increase yet commanding expensive price. The same goes for their 70-200 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 III.
It is hard to make any statement without someone taking offense. I think that most of us realize that we are data points crowded on one end of the spectrum, but there are a few of us who think that we represent the masses.

Concerning the 6D and 6D2 controversy...... we have both. The mark 2 is a significantly better camera than the mark 1, particularly with the AF system and the articulating touchscreen. That said, yes, it has flaws. The sensor should have been better.... but you also have to consider that it is a higher res sensor, and that if you down sampled it from 26M to 20M, that you would recover most of the difference at low ISO and would actually be better at high ISO. It has no headphone jack, and despite supporting Bluetooth, you can not use Bluetooth headphones. WHY?

If I were starting from scratch, I would have no problems getting a 6D2, but I can also say that (at least for me) if I had a mark 1, the upgrade to the 2 is not enough to be worth it. I tend to skip models.....

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It is hard to make any statement without someone taking offense. I think that most of us realize that we are data points crowded on one end of the spectrum, but there are a few of us who think that we represent the masses.

Concerning the 6D and 6D2 controversy...... we have both. The mark 2 is a significantly better camera than the mark 1, particularly with the AF system and the articulating touchscreen. That said, yes, it has flaws. The sensor should have been better.... but you also have to consider that it is a higher res sensor, and that if you down sampled it from 26M to 20M, that you would recover most of the difference at low ISO and would actually be better at high ISO. It has no headphone jack, and despite supporting Bluetooth, you can not use Bluetooth headphones. WHY?

If I were starting from scratch, I would have no problems getting a 6D2, but I can also say that (at least for me) if I had a mark 1, the upgrade to the 2 is not enough to be worth it. I tend to skip models.....

If someone critical about a camera, lens, or camera equipments I own, I wouldn't take offense to it. I understand I went for the best value options and they tend to have compromises. It is just a tool for me. There are no perfect camera just what you are willing to compromises on.

With the EOS RP soon out of way, I'm looking forward to hearing EOS R Pro rumors.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
We (those on these threads) do not always take the time to be completely clear in our comments and even sometimes they are incorrect. I don't see that as an excuse for borderline insults going back and forth, which contributes nothing to an otherwise useful exchange. The best approach, well proven , is to not engage in this and just be nice.

Jack

I have edited out Alan's name as it was being construed as me implying that he had made an insulting remark, whereas I was just teasing that he may have contributed to the insult that came his way. My apologies - I will try to stay away from commenting on interpersonal issues that are not my business, in the future. :oops:

Jack

Upvote 0