Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

It looks to me like this could fit very well as a secondary backup camera. If you need to carry a second camera in case the first one is damaged/fails then size/weight can become important - I was ok with them removing the EVF to save space and weight, but looks like they managed to reduce the size and weight without losing the EVF: that's a win/win. If the price comes in low enough, that will be a real winner. Potentially the lightest/cheapest FF new mirrorless you can buy.

However, I'm sure using an LP-E17 saved some weight, but even the 6D II uses an LP-E6N. As a backup it means doubling the number of extra batteries and having two chargers. That's not the best, but I guess it's the price of focusing on size/weight. Also, I still don't understand why Canon devotes so much space to the on/off dial (both here and on the R). I feel like that area could have been better utilized considering the size limitations of smaller camera bodies.

Upvote 0
Would be interesting to do a size comparison with the EOS-R and EOS-M5 based on the mount size (cannot do this at work). This one looks like a slightly bigger EOS-M5. And the EVF doesn't protrude up as much. Might be my next camera to replace my 5D (the original).

Superimposed with an M50 aligning the flashmount. Obviously rough, but height is very similar to an M50.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I expect it will be priced higher than a 6DII. It’s a basic and ordinary full frame mirrorless equal to Canons lowest full frame offering from two years ago.
The price will matter greatly as to how it’s received. It will be a solid performer. No bells and whistles. A solid second camera that can shoot silently.
I had no intention of buying an EOS R as I felt it was overpriced for what it offered. This is a poorer version that will produce similar results in reasonable conditions if you are only concerned with photography.
That makes it a little more tempting as the outlay will be less.
It’s strange if I get this it would be the first time I downgraded from what I have.
Probably a wait and see for me. Save for what’s next on the mirrorless agenda.
As a Canon customer I can’t help feeling disappointed this is the next mirrorless which is less than the first one that disappointed me.
It will probably be hammered by reviews but sell well which is all Canon will be worried about in the short term.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
Hopefully it sells a ton so Canon can fund development of what we (ie. the small group of us who want a 5DSR 2 or Canon D850 ) are actually waiting for....or at least the recently patented BSI sensors....and use up all the old sensors lying around the plant lol.

I recently had the chance to use a D850 and yes, there is a very big difference between it and my beloved 5D4 for landscapes. Not just the DR( which really is not a big deal anymore IMHO) and resolution, but things like focus stacking in camera, tilting screen etc.

I bet this will be the last Canon to use the off-chip ADC, and I bet the next R will be the "camera we are looking for".

Maybe.

Until then, lets hope this one is a great success.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Also, with the loss of the touch bar it leaves some questions on customization and quick adjustments. For quick changes to ISO I guess you'd be looking at either the d-pad or the control ring on the lens. There doesn't appear to be a dedicated ISO button, so I guess the best option is customizing the control ring to manage either ISO or exposure compensation - the issue is you may have to choose between them. Not sure how I feel about that tradeoff if I'm honest, especially with a giant on/off dial taking up so much room.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
However, I'm sure using an LP-E17 saved some weight, but even the 6D II uses an LP-E6N. As a backup it means doubling the number of extra batteries and having two chargers. That's not the best, but I guess it's the price of focusing on size/weight. Also, I still don't understand why Canon devotes so much space to the on/off dial (both here and on the R). I feel like that area could have been better utilized considering the size limitations of smaller camera bodies.
Yes, it is the usual Canon segmentation, clever product positioning but maybe taken a step too far (as usual).
Even the 6D Mark II battery life isn't that great if it is been used in LiveView mode non-stop, so this could be worse than the M5 (maybe close to equal if the newer Digic 8 has become more economical), in which case we are back to the 'good old' level of mirrorless battery life.

Upvote 0
It will probably be hammered by reviews but sell well which is all Canon will be worried about in the short term.
Agreed, though it seems like Canon expected that. I'm speaking from memory here, but I thought an executive said that they're recognizing the interest in high resolution/high-end models, but they'd likely be releasing a lower end model next. It seemed to me at the time as bracing for negative reactions, but at the end of the day if the price is right it will sell very well.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I did a comparison of the Topside views of M5 an RP. The overlay is based on the size of the flashmount.
It Looks like the LP-E6N battery will fit into the grip.

Thanks. Of course, most of that is lens. While not comparing zoom to zoom, a "small" kit with the RP would be with a couple of pancake lenses or other small primes with an adaptor (for now).

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Really Interesting!
I am using a 200D/SL2 as travel camera today.
I'd be really interested, how much bigger this one is.
Now let's go for some native small primes :)

Edit:
EOS RP
Size: 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm
EOS 200D
Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8 mm

Just one cm in with. Therefore FF. Really interesting...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well a 2000 euro (on launch) camera that has only IPB video, only 1080p, no headphone jack, UFS-I slot (only one), just ok video quality (little soft) is NOT a Porsche to me. It was and it still is quite expensive for what you get, the camera in many ways was inferior to the 3 year old D750, so I don't really get the metaphore. D850 is a Porsche, and it handles exceptionally.

You would have had a coronary shooting 20+ years ago. Try a pinhole camera, it will humble your need for 'more'.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
I've been looking forward for a tiny FF ILC to show up, so I'm loving almost everything about this camera so far, except for:

1. Power switch: they got it wrong on the R and are perpetuating this dumb decision on the RP. That lock switch is in the perfect spot for a power switch, just like in my Rebel XS bodies. I understand that they wanted a power switch that wouldn't easily be nudged on by accident when the camera is not being used, but a mirrorless ILC, especially one using a tiny battery, needs to have it handy on the shutter hand. Perpetuating a wrong engineering decision just makes Canon engineers look dumb.

2. Why no command wheel around the D-pad AGAIN? I'll gladly pay the $5 Canon is saving from not installing one.

3. If they are re-using the 6DII sensor, then this camera is dead on arrival. That old big fab process analog sensor (no in-chip A/D converters) and its ancilliaries run hot and are power hungry, how hot will this tiny body get in the hands, and how many shots will CIPA rate it at, 100 or less? Also, DR and 4K, or lack thereof. Hope Canon doesn't reuse that sensor, and they should really sell that old fab off already.

4. Forget about kitting it with the 24-105/4 (unless it's heavily discounted), I want it kitted with the 35/1.8 Macro! And make a nice, compact 20/2.8 and 85/1.8 to go along with, I've already got a perfect tiny mirrorless bag to hold this kit in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Whether the RP retails for $1299 or $1599, I think Canon might try to position this camera on the shelves of popular department stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and so on; all of this in attempt capture the market of casual consumers who aren't photography professionals. It has the potential to become the most affordable, visible, and accessible full-frame system out there in that case. If they're clever, they'll use in-store promo material to demonstrate the sensor size comparisons to APS-C and M4/3, and show the differences in DoF along with all the other full-frame benefits that manufacturers like to tout.

You see for these box stores for the kit to be successful canon would need a budget kit lens to put into the package. Here 24-105 is far from being budget and will push this into $2500 territory. If canon released something like 24-105 variable aperture lens for cheaper to keep the kit price under $2k it might make more sense

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
You see for these box stores for the kit to be successful canon would need a budget kit lens to put into the package. Here 24-105 is far from being budget and will push this into $2500 territory. If canon released something like 24-105 variable aperture lens for cheaper to keep the kit price under $2k it might make more sense

THIS.

the fact that this is bundled with the 24-105 is the biggest WTF from me really. They really needed to bundle this with a small 28-80 3.5-5.6 or even the 24-240mm. the L? this isn't going to be a cheap kit that attracts the masses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0