Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Jun 20, 2013
If they are re-using the 6DII sensor, then this camera is dead on arrival. That old big fab process analog sensor (no in-chip A/D converters) and its ancilliaries run hot and are power hungry, how hot will this tiny body get in the hands, and how many shots will CIPA rate it at, 100 or less? Also, DR and 4K, or lack thereof. Hope Canon doesn't reuse that sensor, and they should really sell that old fab off already.

got any real tangible proof to back that up? I'd love to see it.
going by the 6D Mark II pinout, it's not using the old fab. PDR doesn't tell you what fab it uses.

btw, 500nm wiring will run cooler than 180nm wiring structures, simply because there's less resistance.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
You would have had a coronary shooting 20+ years ago. Try a pinhole camera, it will humble your need for 'more'.

Now I'm painted as a bad guy in this thread, I was just disappointed that after a really long wait to upgrade (to make my shooting easier), Canons mirrorless announcement didn't make a big step forward in terms of features that some other systems have.

No hate, just sadness...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
Whether the RP retails for $1299 or $1599, I think Canon might try to position this camera on the shelves of popular department stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and so on; all of this in attempt capture the market of casual consumers who aren't photography professionals. It has the potential to become the most affordable, visible, and accessible full-frame system out there in that case. If they're clever, they'll use in-store promo material to demonstrate the sensor size comparisons to APS-C and M4/3, and show the differences in DoF along with all the other full-frame benefits that manufacturers like to tout.
Although I see how huge of a potential it would be for Canon to make it widely spread and sell sh*tloads of them, in the meantime I'm also confused. Casual consumers buying camera in Walmart have no idea at all what full frame is, never shoot RAW, etc...M should be their camera. Or an even cheaper and weaker RP below $1000 which has the "serious" look, competes with Sony in that regard, but half the price.
Or maybe I just tend to forget how much more money Japanese and Americans have and it's totally common to buy body only for $1500 for casual consumers.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Although I see how huge of a potential it would be for Canon to make it widely spread and sell sh*tloads of them, in the meantime I'm also confused. Casual consumers buying camera in Walmart have no idea at all what full frame is, never shoot RAW, etc...M should be their camera. Or an even cheaper and weaker RP below $1000 which has the "serious" look, competes with Sony in that regard, but half the price.
Or maybe I just tend to forget how much more money Japanese and Americans have and it's totally common to buy body only for $1500 for casual consumers.
If they don't have any idea the sellers at the store can try and convince them. Ever since this category was "invented" with the D600 and 6D it has become one of the most important segment in the camera marketplace and there are dozens of the older models on ebay with very low shutter count (and after this, there could be more still, since this camera with the smaller size, easier to use AF system and articulating screen is more useful to them as well).

The EOS M system has definitely been put to the sideline a little bit, simply because there are way more EF lenses available to this system than EF-S or EF-M and there will be more affordable options in RF-mount as well.
That is also why I don't think it will be less than 1500$ (without the EF adapter) to still keep some distance from the EOS M system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I'm on the fence of jumping on the bandwagon, FF and MILC. I prefer APS-C platform over FF, particularly the frame rate for live events (a hobbyist), but tired of waiting for a revised 7D (assuming it to be 7D Mark III). The EOS R has the crop feature but the MP is too low

I've been handicapped w/ a EOS-M camera for two years now. W/ EOS R and RP news, it appears that there's no hope for high-end APS-C in DSLR or MILC.

I don't like to drastically change, so I'll stick w/ Canon. I need a better camera for sure!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One observation for everyone moaning about IBIS or jumping every time IS is mentioned with relation to Canon's camera body. This is unicorn.

Even if Canon adds IBIS to their next body, it will be just marketing gimmick. They already stated how much they trust their possible first version of IBIS by their roadmap of RF lenses with build in IS. If they had good working IBIS ready for PRO body, they would not need to do something like 15-35 IS or 35 IS maybe even 24-70 IS.

If Canon launches IBIS it will be in my opinion far behind competition in its first version and people will be moaning again.

Upvote 0