Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

I've been looking forward for a tiny FF ILC to show up, so I'm loving almost everything about this camera so far, except for:

1. Power switch: they got it wrong on the R and are perpetuating this dumb decision on the RP. That lock switch is in the perfect spot for a power switch, just like in my Rebel XS bodies. I understand that they wanted a power switch that wouldn't easily be nudged on by accident when the camera is not being used, but a mirrorless ILC, especially one using a tiny battery, needs to have it handy on the shutter hand. Perpetuating a wrong engineering decision just makes Canon engineers look dumb.

Right hand for holding onto the camera grip. Right thumb and forefinger to handle the controls. Left hand to hold onto the lens. Left thumb/forefinger to control the 2 or 3 rings. Left thumb to switch on/off camera.

Following the design philosophy is one handed control using the right hand. Furthermore, many people complained that the settings would be changed when the on/off switch is located below a dial. Happened to me many times and I hated that I had to visually check every time I switched the camera on. I like that the on/off switch is on the left.

Your own single preference does not make it a wrong engineering decision.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I use a 5DIV, which I think will be my last DSLR.

Same here. I've got the 5Div and now the R and I can't wait to ditch EFs altogether. Biggest hole I'm going to have for a while is TS-E lenses—and I'm not sure how absolutely essential those are anymore, with an excellent 15-24 coming up.

And a very real concern I have though is psychology: I showed off my new R to a client who told me, "Nobody's going to take you seriously with that little thing." No kidding.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Same here. I've got the 5Div and now the R and I can't wait to ditch EFs altogether. Biggest hole I'm going to have for a while is TS-E lenses—and I'm not sure how absolutely essential those are anymore, with an excellent 15-24 coming up.

And a very real concern I have though is psychology: I showed off my new R to a client who told me, "Nobody's going to take you seriously with that little thing." No kidding.

add the grip and it should be a "serious camera" ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
got any real tangible proof to back that up? I'd love to see it.
going by the 6D Mark II pinout, it's not using the old fab. PDR doesn't tell you what fab it uses.

btw, 500nm wiring will run cooler than 180nm wiring structures, simply because there's less resistance.

I wish I could give you tangible proof that the 6DII sensor is made in the same fab as the 6D's but I don't. Now why would Canon use its new fab to churn out old tech sensors when they have an underused old fab that already does those strikes me as wasteful of available resources and contrary to what their bean counters wanted to achieve, which clearly was to provide a cost effective update/upgrade from the 6D.

BTW, pinout won't tell you whether it was made on one fab or another, either, and it's not the thick wiring that's hogging power and generating heat, it's the large size logics and transistors etched on the silicon which need those thick wires to feed them with the additional power to run properly.

Upvote 0

I wouldn't worry much about what they think by the looks of the small camera. I faced something similar when I ditched the large cameras for video and went DSLR. Some clients would ask about that, but I would just say wait for the final product and let the work speak for itself. After the first commercial with them, they trusted my judgement.

At the end of the day, we may end up using consumer products in 10 years. Give the client the same camera as you, and you'll outperform them. A great camera won't fix an amateur photographer.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
You can also get the RF 28-70mm "kit" lens, I didn't know where to put that, but based on this, maybe it should be called the psycho lens ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This body makes no sense to me..... It has a sensor with marginally less resolution than the EOS R and all else looks eerily similar...

You'd think Canon would next come out with a much higher-end pro-oriented or a consumer-level much cheaper body and not this almost-an-R thing....

All that said... I just finished a CPS eval of the "R" and I like what I see -- a lot... Still there are issues... namely:

1. I don't like the way the EVF behaves after a shot... There should be an option to always go back to live view and not simply mimic what the LCD does... which is generally a preview.

2. Speaking of the LCD.. there should be a way to have it simply do a few-second preview and then off... The way I have all my dSLRs set to do. This "always on" displaying something or always off binary choice is annoying and a waste of battery.

3. We need more than 5FPS.. even if only in a crop mode.

4. That slider thingy is useless. I want my joystick back...

My favorite "feature" this has over any dSLR -- the ability to AF anywhere on the sensor with any lens/TC combination of any effective maximum aperture -- and do it WELL as well as FAST..

The first two issues could be fixed in software right now. I like way more than I disliked, but not enough to buy it. I'll stick to my 5DSR and 1D4 until Canon addresses my four concerns... which I'm sure they will within a year or two.... LOL...

Either way... I am quite sure this camera along with Nikon's "Z" series represents the end of the dSLR.... I know when I finally buy into this, I'm never looking back...

Upvote 0
Ahhhh cmon Canon, jesus, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Canon has a history of upgrading camera bodies on one cycle and then upgrading sensors on the next, so you used to get a whole new camera every 3 years or so. So not unexpected. Problem is they are behind Sony on IBIS and autofocus and sensors for low noise and DR. I have both and I would really like to get back to all Canon, adapting lenses for me has been mixed.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry much about what they think by the looks of the small camera. I faced something similar when I ditched the large cameras for video and went DSLR. Some clients would ask about that, but I would just say wait for the final product and let the work speak for itself. After the first commercial with them, they trusted my judgement.

At the end of the day, we may end up using consumer products in 10 years. Give the client the same camera as you, and you'll outperform them. A great camera won't fix an amateur photographer.

Very true all that—though I've heard some talk from clients about a competitor who uses an Arca-Swiss/digital back and apparently uses a cart now to drag his lights around on a shoot. Who uses lights now with digital? And even though nobody can see the difference in images out of that camera compared to FF—they still get the notion they're getting their money's worth from that guy. They get dinner AND a show!

Upvote 0
I think this camera will be very popular, by its shape and performance. Seems to be a finished product and not a pre-production. Canon will sell a lot of them.
More R lenses are coming and it proves Canon's seriousness.
The only problem with this device will be the complainers with their ridiculous comparison with Sony or other brands.

Upvote 0
Canon seems to be one of the few manufactures that understands that the main benefit of mirrorless is that you can make inexpensive uncomplicated cameras. I'd expect this to be a $900 camera within a year or two. Hopefully that will slow the demise of interchangable lens camera a bit. Some smaller, inexpensive glass to match would be nice.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
A lot of those Sony lenses are every bit as good as Canon equivalents. Some are are worse, some are better...

ALL of them are stabilised.
and there is Sigma and Tamron which work well with the Sonys. If you don't use the big white super teles, there is a lot of competition for glass these days.

Upvote 0
You can also get the RF 28-70mm "kit" lens, I didn't know where to put that, but based on this, maybe it should be called the psycho lens ;)
Yeah and that's a very real argument for getting one, even though all that speed is wasted in architectural when I'd stop it down to f/8 anyway…..

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Right hand for holding onto the camera grip. Right thumb and forefinger to handle the controls. Left hand to hold onto the lens. Left thumb/forefinger to control the 2 or 3 rings. Left thumb to switch on/off camera.

Following the design philosophy is one handed control using the right hand. Furthermore, many people complained that the settings would be changed when the on/off switch is located below a dial. Happened to me many times and I hated that I had to visually check every time I switched the camera on. I like that the on/off switch is on the left.

Your own single preference does not make it a wrong engineering decision.

This camera's lock switch is clear and far away from the mode dial. I am an amateur shooter, the very type of shooter this camera is aimed at, and I (like most of my ilk) when idle either carry the camera hanging from its strap over my neck or grabbing it with my right hand hanging down below my hip. I want to be able to turn the camera on before my left hand reaches the camera, by which time I want my camera to be ready to fire right away, and mirrorless bodies tend to take much longer to be fully armed and ready after flicking the power switch on than DSLRs and I don't want to keep the camera on when idle, wasting what precious little battery charge the LB-E17 carries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the switch is making me sad, I'm sort off forced to buy something with 4K because some clients ask if I shoot in 4K, and I always have to say no...

Is it a requirement for you to use the same device to shoot stills and video? For ~$350 you can get a DJI Osmo Pocket and shoot far better video footage than you can with ANY hand-held DSLR or Mirrorless ILC system, just from the standpoint of having gimbal stabilized footage (unless you carry around a DSLR/Mirrorless gimbal in your kit for shoots) With a gimbal (or tripod), the need for in-body stabilization is negated tremendously, and you can use a wider angle lens (e.g. the 15-35, or adapted 11-24) if the crop is too much for your composition requirements. Of course, if you have a use-case where you need professional 4k video footage wider than 24mm (the market for this is extremely thin), you'd probably be shooting with EOS-C line with PL mount lenses (or non-Canon equivalent) anyway... and for everything else, for the purposes of ticking the "shoots with 4k" box... DJI Osmo, iPhone, Android, etc... all tick that box.

Personally I very rarely shoot video with my stills cameras these days, unless I have a specific composition that is only achievable through my EF glass, and even then, I really hate it, because I don't carry around a DSLR gimbal with me on vacation. At best I have a tripod or platypod. For vast majority of my personal video requirements, the DJI Osmo Mobile (using my iPhone) or Pocket are good enough.

I am seriously considering buying the RP to replace my M5 as my second body (my primary body is 5D4), along with the RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS to replace my damaged EF 24-70 f/2.8L I. Half-tempted to get the RF 15-35 f/2.8L IS as well for my astrophotography interests, despite just buying the EF 16-35 f/2.8L III a few months ago. Will wait for reviews on that one. Regardless, once the prosumer (e.g. 5D equivalent) R body is available, I plan on making the full switch to RF, much to my wife's chagrin. :)

Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
Because Canon does not give us their roadmap, we are all guessing along with you.

Yes but in one of the many interviews with Canon executives which were posted on CR in these last few months they did say that there weren't going to be exact matches between DSLR and mirrorless lines, and that's also what has happened with the APS-C and M series: there is no exact equivalent for one model in the respective other line; the M5 lacks some features of the 77D, 80D and vice versa. (They also said that the EOS R was positioned somewhere between the 6D and 5D IV. Maybe that's just marketing speak. Maybe it's what they actually think).
All that being said: the RP looks like the M50 full frame equivalent. I enjoyed the whine-fest when that camera came out, I'm enjoying the whine-fest now: It's still going to be a very capable camera. And so many --supposedly pro-- users on this site keep mentioning how much they love the M50 as their n-th body: so it appears that even pros can work with entry-level models.
One more thing: as of next week there are going to be two R models available, and at least 8 lenses, for a system launched just half a year ago. EF-S hasn't seen a new lens for over two years (yes yes I know it's dead, silly me for still enjoying my camera), and EOS M users needed *a lot* of patience before getting their lens count up to 8. So claiming that Canon isn't committed to the R system is just plain wrong. And if you're not happy with the EOS RP then wait for the pro body, which I'm sure won't be too long. But as of now this is a little bit like moaning that the EOS 2000D doesn't have all of the features and ergonomics of the 7D II. Different tool. Different target audience. And part of the strategy: cheaper entry point into FF so as to increase sales.

Upvote 0