Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Did Canon verify in the end what R stood for?
Hopefully P doesn't stand for Penny Pinching.
RX or RZ would sound better but X and Z are used up already by other brands
Maybe it will be RP , R and then RC for a 100mp sensor
R is for the mount, possibility R for right :)

P could stand for Pink..... perhaps Canon is going after new markets and this will be the “Hello Kitty” camera :) :) :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The 5DSR is a fantastic camera for birds, my go to. Here is another hummer from last month, 7m away, 100-400mm II. Try and get that detail on any other Canon, or indeed an equivalent lens on a Sony or Nikon.
View attachment 183015
A beautiful bird.
What ISO is that shot at?
I was curious about the artefacts above the eye when zoomed in. Is that just a result of bokeh?
It's not apparent elsewhere around the other edges.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Oh god, please not the 6DII sensor again. Please.
First, go pick up a 6D2 and shoot with it. It works great!

Second, this is a BUDGET FF camera. This camera is probably the death of the 80D, and what is required is a low cost sensor that is better than the one in the 70D. This meets the bill. Go develop a new one, and the price goes up, and you just have another R. Why would they do that?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Totally agree. Some of us just want -a camera- (a full-frame one!) that is compact, and that we can shoot photos with. For a lot of people, the form factor and price matters a lot more than the sensor. I wouldn't mind if they put a 5D MKII sensor in the thing, to be honest. I just want a small, affordable full frame camera.

I think this hits the nail on the head - that is who the RP is marketed for. There is a huge segment of the market that will jump at this because it ticks off the "mirrorless" and "full frame" checkboxes even if an 80D would be a much better camera for them.

I don't think any of the people saying the 6dii sensor is pathetic are in the market to buy a rebel, yet they make it sound like they'd buy this if the sensor was better. This is definitely a rebel-level camera in terms of controls and I'm sure they will find some other ways to cripple it, do you think they will go even slower than 1/180 flash sync speed? :)

Of course this can be the perfect camera for some specific situations ( small back up body, low light, static subjects. ) but odds are if you're on this forum its not the camera you are looking for.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Another laughably idiotic post from a newcomer! Thanks for joining!

It's just an opinion. It's hardly going to change your mind.
We were all newcomers once.
We might not always have free speech.
I might not agree with them but I'd recognise their right to give their opinion.

Upvote 0
This camera is probably the death of the 80D

You might be right and that's what scares me the most about Canon's potential roadmap. How long will it be until they release another camera with the 80D's mix of decent physical buttons/dials, decent autofocus, decent speed, comfortable size even with bigger lenses, excellent battery life, and will it ever cost less than $1000 again? Yeah, I'd really like a stop less of noise but I'm not willing to give up everything else and I'm not willing to pay 3x as much for it. The transition to mirrorless seems to be an opportunity to take features away and then introduce them later as advantages in higher end even more expensive bodies.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Only one of those has an equivalent. The Sony 24-105, which is pretty comparable.

I guess you could compare the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 to the Canon 50/1.2 but they’re really quite different. Unfortunately Canon didn’t fix the bokeh from the DSLR version.

If you ignore the heavy distortion, the 5,4 stops vignetting, the larger size, slow AF, and the poor image stabilizer, I guess the Sony 24-105 is pretty comparable to the RF24-105. I don’t ignore it however, and therefore it is no question that the Canon lens is significantly better.

Every Sony owner would have tears in their eyes because of joy if they could have a lens like the RF 50L f1.2, and you know it. If you don’t like it’s bokeh, you haven’t used it.

Good luck comparing your Sony lenses with the upcoming Canon RF L lenses.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
No FF camera in the last 5 years is a bad camera for photographerCanon 6D II had a poorer sensor performance compared to my 6D and a poorly value one too compared to the competitions. It came out with MSRP of $2000 and quickly drop to $1300.

except this is not the truth.

The MSRP of the 6D Mark II is not 1300, and it's not selling for 1300 now.

you'd look alot more credible if you googled over to B&H and checked the price before launching on your diatribe.

It dropped to 1300 over thanksgiving sales this year, approximately 17 months after it was released. that's not "quickly". It also went back up and Canon is hanving on a current sale with a bunch of other cameras right now, including the 6D II dropping the price from an MSRP of 1799 to 1499. for instance, the 5D Mark IV, 80D, 5Dsr, 5Ds,7d markii are all on a similar sale right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You might be right and that's what scares me the most about Canon's potential roadmap. How long will it be until they release another camera with the 80D's mix of decent physical buttons/dials, decent autofocus, decent speed, comfortable size even with bigger lenses, excellent battery life, and will it ever cost less than $1000 again? Yeah, I'd really like a stop less of noise but I'm not willing to give up everything else and I'm not willing to pay 3x as much for it. The transition to mirrorless seems to be an opportunity to take features away and then introduce them later as advantages in higher end even more expensive bodies.
I like the 80D. It is a fine camera, and except for the robustness I would pick it over a 7D2 any day of the week. (For me, the sealing of the 7D2 won out) I think that in many ways the RP will be a step down, but it most definitely a better sensor.

I think that as the market is shrinking, Canonwill try to shift users to more expensive cameras and the lenses that go with them. The RP, coupled with that 24-240 lens, would be an easy gateway into FF.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
After the 6DII sensor was universally ridiculed in reviews, I honestly thought that Canon would be too embarrassed ever to reuse that sensor.
But, here we go again.
Ridiculed in reviews and LOVED by actual users (watching Fro Knows Podcasts is not a good way to determine what products to buy)... a common thing what with forums, keyboard warriors and spec sheets.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Not sure what you are worried about. Canon's strategy to date has been to offer a camera for every segment possible at a competitive price. If there is a market, Canon wants to fill it. I don't see a pattern from the single R series released so far and I don't see a pattern with the soon to be release RP added either. If you see evidence of a change of strategy, please share.

Upvote 0
If you ignore the heavy distortion, the 5,4 stops vignetting, the larger size, slow AF, and the poor image stabilizer, I guess the Sony 24-105 is pretty comparable to the RF24-105. I don’t ignore it however, and therefore it is no question that the Canon lens is significantly better.

Every Sony owner would have tears in their eyes because of joy if they could have a lens like the RF 50L f1.2, and you know it. If you don’t like it’s bokeh, you haven’t used it.

Good luck comparing your Sony lenses with the upcoming Canon RF L lenses.
None of those are issues in real world shooting with software correction. Vignetting correction especially on Sony cameras is less of an issue with their superior sensors.

In terms of stabilisation, well you’re getting 5-axis on Sony, compared to lens-only with the Canon.

I’ve used the old Canon 50/1.2 a fair bit actually. The only tears are when the swirly bokeh destroys the image. You may like that - lots of people don’t.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A beautiful bird.
What ISO is that shot at?
I was curious about the artefacts above the eye when zoomed in. Is that just a result of bokeh?
It's not apparent elsewhere around the other edges.

It was shot at iso 1250. You are right, there is an artefact above the eye. It results from the lens sharpening tool of DxO PL. The tool works very well with the 5DIV, which doesn't give such sharp images because of its AA-filter. With the 5DSR, it oversharpens and I don't like the effect and usually turn it off and use a smidgeon of USM. Here is the same image with the lens sharpening turned off and zero sharpening applied, and the artefact has gone. It's a very heavy crop, the bird occupying only the middle 1100px x 550px at the centre of the 50mpx image, and is pushing the limits of getting a sharp image.

3Q7A4723-DxO_humming_bird_-ls.jpg

Upvote 0
"The MSRP of the 6D Mark II is not 1300, and it's not selling for 1300 now."
Who buys MSRP? Seriously. Let's talk street prices.
Second, um yes, the Canon 6D II new, not grey, has been hitting sub $1200 lately. We should know: we almost pulled the trigger on one we put in the shopping cart a couple of nights ago. Why not? A great deal on a used one came up so we are rolling the dice on that. But yes, if you watch the prices and shop around, it's a $1200 new camera. Don't buy it above that unless you really need to.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The video quality of the 6D mark II is kinda soft, it is slightly worse compared to the 70D in my opinion. I need a FF 4K body with good autofocus during video, and the MarkIII is lacking that feature, so I was waiting for a long time for Canons no crop no bullshit 4K camera but unfortunately it didn't came.

I can understand why someone interested in 4k video would look elsewhere. Sony has good FF 4k, and if you're going to accept Canon's crop factors then there are a number of APS-C and m43 bodies with excellent video features and output. Of course system consistency and EF lens support, plus DPAF, could certainly lead someone to stick with Canon on video. It's here that I wish Canon would improve, either their DIGIC processors or their sensor readout speeds, whichever is the bottleneck. I would really like to see a FF 4k R body.

I cannot, however, understand the whining by stills photographers. Canon is not behind in resolution, color (they're ahead here), or high ISO. They are slightly behind in DR. Playing with the DPReview Exposure Latitude tool the 5D IV is within 1ev of the D850 and A7 III (+5ev vs. +6ev). Heck, depending on the part of the image you're looking at the 5Dsr is within 2ev (+4ev vs +6ev) or very close at 1ev (+5ev vs +6ev). The 6D II seems to be off by a solid 2ev (+4ev vs. +6ev).

Still, that's 4ev of shadow latitude. I would like to see the HDR galleries of those complaining that the 6D II sensor is "old" or "bad". Can you actually exploit 4ev of shadow latitude? Or are you just upset that DPReview is going to lecture you again about the importance of "ISO invariance" when no one ever shoots that way since it screws up meter readings, exposure calculations (AE or manual), and EVF brightness?

The 6D II was not a bad camera in 2017 and it's not a bad camera today. Given the limited video features it is understandably a lower priced camera.

I hope that the RP has a 4k video option, though I suspect it would never be FF given the prices being discussed and the R crop. A 4k 30p 1.5x crop mode and a lower price tag would make this tempting. If Canon "protects" the R by making the RP 1080p only it will be a mistake IMHO. But it still will not make the RP a bad camera.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
None of those are issues in real world shooting with software correction. Vignetting correction especially on Sony cameras is less of an issue with their superior sensors.

In terms of stabilisation, well you’re getting 5-axis on Sony, compared to lens-only with the Canon.

I’ve used the old Canon 50/1.2 a fair bit actually. The only tears are when the swirly bokeh destroys the image. You may like that - lots of people don’t.

So... I guess the software correction of 5,4 stops vignetting is a breeze at ISO 1600? And I guess software correction also makes up for the shot you missed while you were waiting for the lens to focus? And software correction makes the lens smaller as well? I better get myself a Sony camera! o_O (Sarcasm allert :ROFLMAO:)

You are aware that the EF 50L and RF 50L are different lenses?

Upvote 0