Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Rather than slagging off this camera, why not wait for the real use reviews
you could put up and shut up, and just buy a Sony

To be honest this camera will probably get negative reviews regardless of how well it performs. There are so many negative reviews of the EOS R purely based on specs.

ANY weakpoint to a Canon body is what people will focus on. The Slanted lens did a real world test of the EOS R vs A7RIII and Z7 and the EOS R matched the Sony in all the IQ tests and beat the Nikon in them. These real world tests are what matters and not what is listed in specs.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
First, go pick up a 6D2 and shoot with it. It works great!

Second, this is a BUDGET FF camera. This camera is probably the death of the 80D, and what is required is a low cost sensor that is better than the one in the 70D. This meets the bill. Go develop a new one, and the price goes up, and you just have another R. Why would they do that?
I did pickup a 6DII and shoot with it. For three weeks and really didn't like it. Why can't we get a new BSI sensor, full frame 4K, IBIS and 11+ FPS? You say the price will go up but Sony, Nikon and Panasonic can manage it. Don't use the overpriced EOS R as the market standard. It clearly isn't. $2000ish can get you a lot of camera nowadays and if you continually accept mediocrity, Canon will keep charging you more for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I cannot, however, understand the whining by stills photographers. Canon is not behind in resolution, color (they're ahead here), or high ISO. They are slightly behind in DR. Playing with the DPReview Exposure Latitude tool the 5D IV is within 1ev of the D850 and A7 III (+5ev vs. +6ev). Heck, depending on the part of the image you're looking at the 5Dsr is within 2ev (+4ev vs +6ev) or very close at 1ev (+5ev vs +6ev). The 6D II seems to be off by a solid 2ev (+4ev vs. +6ev).

I don't really have a problem with people who want more dynamic range for a specific purpose like experienced landscape photographers. But when I see the photography from most people who want more dynamic range, really, what they want to do is push the exposure slider in lightroom further to the right. Often, it's just to get out of using a flash because they don't know how to get good results with a flash.

If it were possible to get amazing photos this way, I'd say, hey, sure. It is, after all, amazing how you can recover a test scene at minus-whatever-ev created with ND filters. But the reality is that this isn't how photography works. Most photos I see pushed for exposure and shadow recovery also don't have light coming from the right places, so there is a distinct lack of interesting highlights and shadows. No matter how much you can push the exposure, to get something to appear, the photo will still be a poor photo.

From a practical perspective, for must subjects, if I have enough light to create a good photo, whether it's natural, artificial, or augmented, I will also usually not have a need to go crazy in post with sliders.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It is kind of disappointing that this camera will come with the recycled 6D mk ii sensor. That was not such a great sensor to begin with (not just worse high ISO performance that its competitors...

Literally the 2nd post after hard, visual evidence from a respected review site that the 6D2 has good high ISO by today's standards. Unbelievable. Do people really cling to narratives no matter what physical reality throws at them?

but using DSLR sensors in mirrorless bodies leads to problems like excessive vignetting with wide angle lenses and even color shift.

It's almost a certainty that Canon is optimizing microlenses and color arrays for the R's new flange distance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I did pickup a 6DII and shoot with it. For three weeks and really didn't like it. Why can't we get a new BSI sensor, full frame 4K, IBIS and 11+ FPS? You say the price will go up but Sony, Nikon and Panasonic can manage it. Don't use the overpriced EOS R as the market standard. It clearly isn't. $2000ish can get you a lot of camera nowadays and if you continually accept mediocrity, Canon will keep charging you more for it.
It's just the wrong camera for you. $2,000 can't et you a good (new) full frame camera at all. It can get you an decent camera body, but you can't take pictures with a camera body. If you want to take photos, , you need to spend thousands more dollars on lenses and accessories.

Personally, I don't take videos, IBIS does very little for me for stills, and I don't care to have 11+FPS. Even when I was using the A7R3, when I was taking action shots, I never went above 9 fps. Canon wins me over with things like articulating screen with touch that actually works and the 470EXAI flash that is stupidly easy to get great results from. I guess that's why I really like my 6DII :)

If I had to choose to take 1 camera body with me for a trip between 6D2, 5D4, A7R3, and EOS R, it would be, hands down, 6D2 (as 5D4 does not have an articulating screen).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 5DSR is a fantastic camera for birds, my go to. Here is another hummer from last month, 7m away, 100-400mm II. Try and get that detail on any other Canon, or indeed an equivalent lens on a Sony or Nikon.
View attachment 183015
agreed;) I use a Tamron 150-600, not quite as sharp as a Canon 100-400...and all are hand held...BTW beautiful pic...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It is kind of disappointing that this camera will come with the recycled 6D mk ii sensor. That was not such a great sensor to begin with (not just worse high ISO performance that its competitors but also worse dynamic range), but using DSLR sensors in mirrorless bodies leads to problems like excessive vignetting with wide angle lenses and even color shift. Maybe it is possible to alleviate these problems to some degree by using a thinner LPF filter (or no LPF) or thinner Bayer array in the short term, but eventually Canon will have to make new sensors optimized for much lower angle of incidence that is inevitable because of the short flange distance of the mirrorless design. Interestingly enough, the DPAF architecture makes it more difficult to solve this issue by simply changing the micro-lens topology.
I guess you haven't looked at any sample images yet, because vignetting is kept at normal levels and there are absolutely no problems with color shift. Of course it is not optimized for Leica M lenses.

Upvote 0
Primarily, I'd be interested in the RP if it has the ability to auto focus using my 1.4 extender at f8. I checked the system map on the R Supplemental Info pdf and it does not show extenders. I've seen only one R in the field and didn't have the chance to ask the user. I'm sure I could use one and manually focus.

Secondly, I'm assuming that there will be a 1.6 crop mode like the R. I'd like to have this feature.

Macoose

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I cannot, however, understand the whining by stills photographers. Canon is not behind in resolution, color (they're ahead here), or high ISO. They are slightly behind in DR. Playing with the DPReview Exposure Latitude tool the 5D IV is within 1ev of the D850 and A7 III (+5ev vs. +6ev). Heck, depending on the part of the image you're looking at the 5Dsr is within 2ev (+4ev vs +6ev) or very close at 1ev (+5ev vs +6ev). The 6D II seems to be off by a solid 2ev (+4ev vs. +6ev).

I own both a 6d and 5d Mark IV and the dynamic range benefit of 1.5 EV is something that I highly appreciate/need for "hard to bracket" landscapes or for timelapses. There is not too much to complain about with the 5d Mark IV sensor, as I find it's DR fairly capable to do almost everything I've ever done, although there have been situations where I would definitly welcome another stop of DR.

Seeing that Canon made a massive improvment from the 5d Mark III to the 5d Mark IV as well as from the 70d to the 80d, I'm confident that they will come up with something similar with their top model in the EOS R line. I just hope they don't end up with a resolution that is just so high that the DR/low light aspect will suffer too much. 50MP just as in the 5DSR but with an additional 1.5 EV and better low light capabilities would be fantastic.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I feel like canon is going to stop selling cameras at some point. They aren't trying. Many of us hoped that the new competition from sony would prompt them to step their game up...well, and we can see where that is going.

You shouldn't have to pay 3k for a camera just to have a damn joystick, or a sensor that's a dilapidated version of a sensor they sold 7 years ago. Meanwhile sony users can get sublime AF for eyes and portraits and motion.

So this is what loyalty to a brand means...laugh at your own customers. Nice lenses....i guess.....but if im not buying the body, then none of the lenses either. Just put a new sensor in there canon...cmon, u can do it.

Upvote 0
This article speaks specifically to dynamic range and editing flexibility when an image is under-exposed at low ISO, but it does not look at low light photography where high ISO would be used. Dynamic range is not the same as low light performance, and dynamic range changes with ISO. If you are discussing performance in very low light (i.e. night shooting at high ISO) then the 6D II has the same dynamic range as the Z7 or D850 from around ISO 3200 and onward according to photons to photos (http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 6D Mark II,Nikon D850,Sony ILCE-7R). In the DP review article referenced in your post you can switch some of the sample images to show the Z7 at ISO 3200 pushed 1 stop vs the 6D II at 3200 pushed 1 stop and you'll see that the images are very similar. The DR advantages of Nikon and Sony are certainly observable at low ISO, but there doesn't appear to be any perceptible advantage at high ISO.

Upvote 0
Primarily, I'd be interested in the RP if it has the ability to auto focus using my 1.4 extender at f8. I checked the system map on the R Supplemental Info pdf and it does not show extenders. I've seen only one R in the field and didn't have the chance to ask the user. I'm sure I could use one and manually focus.

Secondly, I'm assuming that there will be a 1.6 crop mode like the R. I'd like to have this feature.

Macoose
I believe the EOS R can auto focus at f/11, or an f/5.6 lens on a 2x extender (but maybe only Canon's newest extender). That should work for you!

Quote from the Canon Canada website: "With the EOS R camera, autofocus will operate over nearly the entire image area even when used with compatible f/8 and f/11 lenses. This means the EOS R can easily achieve sharp AF using lenses with smaller apertures, and is even compatible with select EF extenders for uncompromised shooting at an expanded range of focal lengths." http://www.canon.ca/en/Features/EOS-R/EOS-R-Camera

Upvote 0
As previously mentioned, it's probably digital stabilization like the M50.
thanks ..I see that now...
is the electronic I.S. worth a stop or two?...

that's ok.. a little help..
and the lenses I use are usually fast..

good news it works for both.
...I wonder if it ..'plays well' with third party I.S.?..

I have no complaints ..just curiosity

Upvote 0

Macoose

The "R" lets you do this so I don't see why the RP would not.. ..... For this, I used my 100-400 F4-5.6L II with a 2XIII.. F 6.3 on lens, so the effective f-stop was F13. As you can see, it works great. AF from all over the sensor and fast enough to shoot a little BIF.... Images like this were impossible with any dSLR without pre-focusing and praying...

©EJMorales.com_20190204_H3A22762019_960.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0