Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The biggest problem many people dont understand or at least acknowlodge here, since this is a forum dedicated to one brand is the time=progression when it comes to technology. If something is new we expect it to be better than what came before it. I see a lot of excuses and sales "figures" and other stuff . Simply put if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better ( and possibly smaller) than a past model. If not the price should just be much lower than what it derived from. With Canon we dont really get that. There are more side grades than upgrades until a significant amount of time goes by in technology standards. Here is the idea simplified anything released 2020>2019>2018>2017>2016 etc. I dont see how peopel get so defensive about that criticism. Do you not want to get more for your money if possible unless you collect profit from the money being saved....

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
No way, that space is perfectly suited for custom modification. I invented a tactical shadow lifter. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the Shadow Sniper(TM):
View attachment 183033

In version 2, I'm going add a mechanical arm that switches the light on only when the shutter is depressed. This should eliminate all of the hand wringing over shadow lifting.

Wow, Canon already has a competitive product to market. That was quick. But not to worry, I've got it all over them in the spec sheets.
1549565005743.png

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
I dont see how peopel get so defensive about that criticism. Do you not want to get more for your money if possible unless you collect profit from the money being saved....
I've avoided this thread but it isn't people getting defensive. It is nothing new is being said. Canon has a history of being very conservative with upgrades and along with that reusing tweaked existing sensors. But reading a comment thread in a Canon rumors site with 1000's of comments that basically say "Canon sucks, Sony rocks" is tiresome.

It took me about 30 seconds of reading the leaked specs to know that the RP is not the camera to lure me to mirrorless away from my 1DX. That's fine. Not all products will be for me. I could either post repeatedly how I wish Canon would make the camera I want or I could get on with my life. Posting repeatedly would probably annoy those that are genuinely excited by what the RP will offer for the price point. They are here to talk about the rumors for this camera. Telling them that some yet-to-be-leaked camera that will cost 2-3x times as much will be better is just rude. Telling them that Canon sucks, will never make a good camera, and they should just sell everything for Sony is doubly rude.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I am in baby years regarding experience in photography (happily shooting with my 77D), maybe that's why I thought "RAW development in camera" is a good addition in a consumer model. But, no one is talking about it here. What am I missing? Is that a very common feature?

Only very basic raw editing can be done in camera and it’s been around for a while. Nothing at all compared to DPP or Lightroom!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The biggest problem many people dont understand or at least acknowlodge here, since this is a forum dedicated to one brand is the time=progression when it comes to technology. If something is new we expect it to be better than what came before it. I see a lot of excuses and sales "figures" and other stuff . Simply put if a consumer buys something that is brand new many expect it should be better ( and possibly smaller) than a past model. If not the price should just be much lower than what it derived from. With Canon we dont really get that...

Do you base this on actual experience?

Here is my experience (I am only referencing cameras I actually own or owned):

From 7D to 7D II: 7D II is a significant upgrade in virtually every way.
From 70D to 80D (Wife's cameras); 80D is a significant improvement in image quality and in a number of other features.
From 5D III to 5D IV: Better image quality in terms of dynamic range, high ISO performance and resolution, autofocus is much improved.
100-400 I to 100-400 II: Noticeable improvement in sharpness, plus I was never that fond of push pull zooming (although my wife uses her 100-400 II as a push-pull which you can do if you want)
24-105 I to 24-105 II: Okay, in this case there really isn't much improvement I admit. Main advantage is the zoom creep is much better. I bought the II mostly because my old lens was getting long in the tooth.

Now, please, give me your experience with new models that you have actually purchased that you found not to be better than the old one you owned.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
To me the main question is, what Canon will do with their existing fullframe DSLR line. Being the happy owner of the 6D "Classic", and more than a handfull of good glasses, I am split of what to do. Finally buy a 24-70 L f/2.8 , and then - later - a 5D mk IV og a V (when ever it comes) - of simply stay put with what I got and in a couple of years or so by a 5D equivalent EOS R, a RF 24-70 f/2.8 and then "adapt" the rest of my EF lenses.....
I fully understand that Canon is focusing on the R-series - but damn I would like to see a roadmap for the DSLR line and the "R-line"......

Upvote 0
Haven't seen this mentioned yet but as a 6D mark one user I'm excited for the possibility of hundreds (thousands?) of selectable AF points than my single usable AF point.

If this is indeed comparable to the Canon 6D line then bring it on!

More AF points across the frame > need for new sensor and 1 stop DR

At least for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My ONLY point was to illustrate that the "R" can AF with a lens/TC combination with an f-stop smaller than F8 and do it anywhere on the sensor.... This is something no current dSLR can do. That pelican shot was illustrative of this and that the camera does it well enough even to keep up with some motion.

I never said a pelican is a "little" bird...as in "small" (LMFAO) -- I said the picture shows that the equipment in question is capable of a "little BIF" --- as opposed to "a lot" or "full-blown" BIF like you'd be able to do with say a 1DXII and a 500 F4L or similar......
If have no problems with your statement(s), but I really want to know if any camera out there is good enough to track erratic tiny birds. This would be a severe test of any AF system.... I know that none of my cameras are up to it.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There is another reason. Why sell one camera, that can do both: high res full frame images and high fps crop images, when you can sell two cameras, that can only do one of these things.

That way of thinking only works until a competitor eats your lunch. I'm sure someone will release a ~45mp full frame camera with a speedy ~20mp crop mode in the next few years, hopefully canon but I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Edit: by the way, how much is Sony paying you to troll?

I've heard from a reliable source that there is talk in the camera industry that Sony is in fact paying people to troll on Canon forums. I don't think this has been proven.

I tend to think that these people are desperate to get someone else to confirm that they have made the right choice. Or will make the right choice when they can afford to buy a new camera.

They are in two modes ; either Canon is too expensive or the specifications are not good enough. And yet people keep buying them.

So I have grave doubts about most peoples analytical skills. After all, Canon proves them wrong time after time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I've heard from a reliable source that there is talk in the camera industry that Sony is in fact paying people to troll on Canon forums. I don't think this has been proven.

I tend to think that these people are desperate to get someone else to confirm that they have made the right choice. Or will make the right choice when they can afford to buy a new camera.

They are in two modes ; either Canon is too expensive or the specifications are not good enough. And yet people keep buying them.

So I have grave doubts about most peoples analytical skills. After all, Canon proves them wrong time after time.

I would not be surprised if they did. There are so many trolls in here bashing Canon, who ends up being trashed with Sony’s indisputable shortcomings, that I have a hard time believing a true Sony fanboy would stick around to volunteeringly get the painful reality check. I find it likely that some of the trolls in here are being paid by Sony.

Sony were also the first company that I know of, who started paying trips to Hawaii and similar, to YouTube reviewers, with the obvious intent of influencing their reviews. Sadly, other companies, including Canon, have followed Sony’s lead and seems to do the same now.

Upvote 0
I would not be surprised if they did. There are so many trolls in here bashing Canon, who ends up being trashed with Sony’s indisputable shortcomings, that I have a hard time believing a true Sony fanboy would stick around to volunteeringly get the painful reality check. I find it likely that some of the trolls in here are being paid by Sony.

True that. And they don't defend their positions all that much. And then a lot of new accounts pop up on rumors of new product launches.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Here’s an idea. If you are seriously considering the RP based on the current leaked specs, tell us why with a little context about your use case.

Very brief intro:
I’m interested in the RP as a replacement for my 6D, which is my only camera. I’m a hobbyist with no aspirations to make money through photography. My most demanding use cases are birds in flight, daughters on stage (dance) and scenic astrophotography (aka milky way landscape).

Rumored specs most interesting to me:
AF at small apertures so I can use my extenders on the 100-400ii for more than landscape and moon photos (f/8 lets me use the 1.4x, f/11 like the R would allow me to use my 2x)

Better AF with more points

Price

Non-critical extras:
I’d be interested in trying video for family events, I tried it once on my 6D and decided it was better to just be I the moment that have crappy out of focus video with loud lens sounds. (user incompetence MIGHT have had a bit to do with this)

I might as well get going on building my RF lens collection before my EF lenses are officially obsoleted

A smaller body might be nice, but might not given how much I like shooting with my 100-400. I will eventually get the 70-200 f/2.8, and the thought of that being short (due to telescoping) plus this small body sounds appealing for travel and general use.

Biggest disappointment:
Despite 6.5 years between launch of 6D and RP, the sensor will gain me little if any benefit versus what I already have. But a camera is more than its sensor, so at the right price, this is not a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
My ONLY point was to illustrate that the "R" can AF with a lens/TC combination with an f-stop smaller than F8 and do it anywhere on the sensor.... This is something no current dSLR can do. That pelican shot was illustrative of this and that the camera does it well enough even to keep up with some motion.

I never said a pelican is a "little" bird...as in "small" (LMFAO) -- I said the picture shows that the equipment in question is capable of a "little BIF" --- as opposed to "a lot" or "full-blown" BIF like you'd be able to do with say a 1DXII and a 500 F4L or similar......
I'm happy you like the EOS R but I'm not sure why you keep saying that DSLR's can't DPAF focus beyond F8. That's not correct. My IDX2 and 5D4 can both focus at f-stops smaller than f/8 in live view using DPAF. The only difference is that I don't have the benefit of the EVF and have to work off the rear display or an external monitor. I've worked at f/11 maximum apertures for both stills and video and the focus works perfectly fine. You really shouldn't make such broad assertions without fully considering what you are saying. My DSLR's wouldn't have the slightest problem photographing that pelican BTW.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
True that. And they don't defend their positions all that much. And then a lot of new accounts pop up on rumors of new product launches.

Absolutely! It is the defending of the impossible, never admitting that they are even slightly wrong, that makes me suspicious - together with the new accounts popping up.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Absolutely! It is the defending of the impossible, never admitting that they are even slightly wrong, that makes me suspicious - together with the new accounts popping up.
I am afraid it is a human failing that (some) people will not back down or admit they are wrong despite proof to the contrary, and not necessarily because they are paid to troll.

Upvote 0