Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
In my opinion it costs too much, 2000 euros on launch, around 1600 euros right now.

It's $1,499 USD (1,325 € at today's exchange rate) right now from authorized sellers in the U.S., but was at $1,399 (€ 1,235) with free battery grip for most of the last half of 2018.

Gray market sellers in the U.S, are currently selling the 6D Mark II for about $1,200 (€ 1,060).

Upvote 0
Here’s an idea. If you are seriously considering the RP based on the current leaked specs, tell us why with a little context about your use case.

Very brief intro:
I’m interested in the RP as a replacement for my 6D, which is my only camera. I’m a hobbyist with no aspirations to make money through photography. My most demanding use cases are birds in flight, daughters on stage (dance) and scenic astrophotography (aka milky way landscape).

Rumored specs most interesting to me:
AF at small apertures so I can use my extenders on the 100-400ii for more than landscape and moon photos (f/8 lets me use the 1.4x, f/11 like the R would allow me to use my 2x)

Better AF with more points

Price

Non-critical extras:
I’d be interested in trying video for family events, I tried it once on my 6D and decided it was better to just be I the moment that have crappy out of focus video with loud lens sounds. (user incompetence MIGHT have had a bit to do with this)

I might as well get going on building my RF lens collection before my EF lenses are officially obsoleted

A smaller body might be nice, but might not given how much I like shooting with my 100-400. I will eventually get the 70-200 f/2.8, and the thought of that being short (due to telescoping) plus this small body sounds appealing for travel and general use.

Biggest disappointment:
Despite 6.5 years between launch of 6D and RP, the sensor will gain me little if any benefit versus what I already have. But a camera is more than its sensor, so at the right price, this is not a deal breaker for me.

I'll play this game -

I'm seriously considering the camera based on the leak for a few reasons.

My use case - I shoot almost exclusively landscapes using a 5D IV as a hobby, and I usually plan 1-3 photography focused trips per year (maybe a week long each). That can involve carrying too much glass and a tripod for maybe 3 to 6 days straight with camping gear and food. My issue is I only carry the one body with me, and at least a few times I have come a bit too close for comfort in losing my camera due to a misstep (or two). My issue is if I lose my 5D IV, there's no running to replace it for a few days and the trip is lost and over. I like the idea of having a light-weight and small secondary camera which can put out comparable image quality to the 5D IV for that "just in case" scenario. I could also see myself running both cameras at once when I'm humming and hawing over a composition or subject choice (i.e. something that needs a long lens and something that needs a wide lens).

What I like about the rumour - I love that it is half the weight of my 5D IV and much smaller. It looks as though I could add that to a bag with an EF converter for very little weight and size penalty which would amazing. For context, I've considered an M6 with a converter as well - I don't care too much about ergonomics/button layout or even the EVF if it is a secondary camera. The RP looks to be a much better fit than the M6 considering that I wouldn't need to be thinking about crop factor. I just need to be able to carry it with everything else! Also, and don't hate me for this, but I actually like how it looks! Oh, and the price. Definitely the price.

What I don't like about the rumour - LP-E17. This would be a pain for my use case - I don't want to double the batteries I'm carrying and have to leave a second charger in the car. If this used an LP-E6N I could just share batteries with the 5D IV since most of the time I'd be using one or the other and not both at once.

What I'm not sure about - is it the 6D II sensor? I had a 6D and replaced it with the 5D IV. I know DR comes up here quite a lot, but I've looked at my images from both cameras many times, and I do prefer the 5D IV outputs for editing. I'll need to see the output from the camera, because frankly the R could be a better fit if it's that big a deal to me. Though, if it's a small difference in IQ I'll need to ask myself whether it's worth the extra cash/weight/size to me.

But yes, I'm in the maybe camp. Part of me is also tempted to wait and see what the pro model looks like - maybe the 5D IV should become the backup to the upcoming camera. Well, that sounds like my GAS flaring up, so I'll leave it there!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'll play this game -

I think the EOS R is just a better fit for this exact case, it's not going to be any heavier in the bag in practice, since there is no need to carry more batteries and another charger and this camera won't be discounted any time soon either. And of course in the future it may turn out to work as a replacement for the Mark IV and an EOS RP as the backup camera to that (althogh the different battery is still somewhat annoying).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I am still not sure what Canon is doing with the R series. Are they in a position now where they are going to have 5 full frame mirrorless cameras? Does everyone see it this way at the current time?

1. RP- entry level FF
2. R- Mid range
3. ??- 5d mk4 replacement in Mirrorless form
4. ??- 5dsr replacement in mirrorless form
5. ?? 1dx2 replacement in mirrorless. This seems to be way down the road if the rumor of the 1dx2 replacement being a DSLR holds true.

It does not make sense to me to have the 5dmk4 and 5dsr lines become 1 camera. I am wanting to jump in on this system but will not do so until a get a camera better then my 5d4.

Perhaps the 5D Mark IV replacement (EOS 5R ?) and the 1D X Mark III (still a DSLR in 2020) replacement in 2024 will converge in an EOS R X or EOS 5R X in much the same way that the "fast" APS-H 1D Mark IV and "high IQ" FF 1Ds Mark III converged in the EOS 1D X? The death of the staff photojournalist position, which used to be by far the highest number of users of 1-series bodies, is seriously reducing the demand for a "flagship" type body such as the 1D X and its successors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps the 5D Mark IV replacement (EOS 5R ?) and the 1D X Mark III (still a DSLR in 2020) replacement in 2024 will converge in an EOS R X or EOS 5R X in much the same way that the "fast" APS-H 1D Mark IV and "high IQ" FF 1Ds Mark III converged in the EOS 1D X?

Based on the "R" and "RP" naming convention, I'm wondering maybe even "RS" for the next body if it's resolution focused (a la 5DS). I was wondering if maybe the 5DS and 5DIV would converge as well - if the resolution gets high enough, could they just count blocks of 4 pixels as one pixel to reduce the resolution and increase output capacity. For instance, if you had a 100MP camera, could you change modes to treat blocks of 4 pixels as one in a "low resolution" or "speed" mode and jump down to 25MP and increase shooting speed/low light noise? I'm no engineer so I have no idea if that's feasible, but it sounds interesting to me.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'll play this game -

My use case - I shoot almost exclusively landscapes using a 5D IV as a hobby, and I usually plan 1-3 photography focused trips per year (maybe a week long each). That can involve carrying too much glass and a tripod for maybe 3 to 6 days straight with camping gear and food. My issue is I only carry the one body with me, and at least a few times I have come a bit too close for comfort in losing my camera due to a misstep (or two). My issue is if I lose my 5D IV, there's no running to replace it for a few days and the trip is lost and over. I like the idea of having a light-weight and small secondary camera which can put out comparable image quality to the 5D IV for that "just in case" scenario. I could also see myself running both cameras at once when I'm humming and hawing over a composition or subject choice (i.e. something that needs a long lens and something that needs a wide lens).

What I like about the rumour - I love that it is half the weight of my 5D IV and much smaller. It looks as though I could add that to a bag with an EF converter for very little weight and size penalty which would amazing. For context, I've considered an M6 with a converter as well - I don't care too much about ergonomics/button layout or even the EVF if it is a secondary camera. The RP looks to be a much better fit than the M6 considering that I wouldn't need to be thinking about crop factor. I just need to be able to carry it with everything else! Also, and don't hate me for this, but I actually like how it looks! Oh, and the price. Definitely the price.

What I don't like about the rumour - LP-E17. This would be a pain for my use case - I don't want to double the batteries I'm carrying and have to leave a second charger in the car. If this used an LP-E6N I could just share batteries with the 5D IV since most of the time I'd be using one or the other and not both at once.

What I'm not sure about - is it the 6D II sensor? I had a 6D and replaced it with the 5D IV. I know DR comes up here quite a lot, but I've looked at my images from both cameras many times, and I do prefer the 5D IV outputs for editing. I'll need to see the output from the camera, because frankly the R could be a better fit if it's that big a deal to me. Though, if it's a small difference in IQ I'll need to ask myself whether it's worth the extra cash/weight/size to me.

But yes, I'm in the maybe camp. Part of me is also tempted to wait and see what the pro model looks like - maybe the 5D IV should become the backup to the upcoming camera. Well, that sounds like my GAS flaring up, so I'll leave it there!
A fair summation of the pros and cons. The small battery will mean probably carrying 3 spares.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Of course people will say they take great shots with the 6d
Yep -- and selling them too! The camera is merely the instrument we play. Not everyone can afford a Martin OM-45 Brazilian, but they can make beautiful music with the lowest end of another brand. Same with cameras.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
you realize i already mentioned that. those are like the mega upgrades that are like 4 years in between and in between those there are a lot of little cameras that come out within that 4 year period that are kinda wack. the ony one that might have been a fast upgrade was the 70d and 80d but that was after years of kinda the same stuff in the x0d line.
So now I am even more confused by what your point is. You seemed to be complaining that Canon's upgrades were not significant. But when I listed several upgrades that I have personal experience with you are saying those don't count because they were major upgrades. That just seems like goalpost moving to me.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Perhaps the 5D Mark IV replacement (EOS 5R ?) and the 1D X Mark III (still a DSLR in 2020) replacement in 2024 will converge in an EOS R X or EOS 5R X in much the same way that the "fast" APS-H 1D Mark IV and "high IQ" FF 1Ds Mark III converged in the EOS 1D X? The death of the staff photojournalist position, which used to be by far the highest number of users of 1-series bodies, is seriously reducing the demand for a "flagship" type body such as the 1D X and its successors.

That would be completely fine with me (someone who would be happy with either a mirrorless 5D or 1DX successor), provided Canon makes one sooner rather than later. 2024 would be an insanely long wait. I just don't see it taking that long with them still remaining in the game - the a9, which despite what some forumers say, competes well with the 1DX mII, would be 7 years old by then :(. Can Canon afford to cede the high-end mirrorless space to its competitors for that long?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I'm an avid Canon user. I currently have a 5D Mark IV and well over $10k of glass. But truly, it feels like Canon - in the increasingly mirrorless age of cameras - is saying if you are serious about a mirrorless camera, look at Sony and now, increasingly, Nikon. The R is on so many levels a faulty camera. The reported new RP seems to be a downgrade from the R. I have been a loyal Canon user in the digital SLR age. It is becoming very difficult to remain so.

If you have a 5D IV, then what is it that you are looking for that you don't have?
If you have followed the camera news, then you do realize that the R is basically a lower level camera -than you own - a mirroless 6D.
If you have followed the camera news, then you certainly understand the RP is the lowest priced FF mirrorless - the most entry level. So your use of the word downgrade makes no sense.
If you have followed the camera news, then you certainly know that Canon is still developing their high end mirrorless FF cameras.

What is it that Sony and Nikon offer that you feel you need above and beyond your 5D IV?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
you realize i already mentioned that. those are like the mega upgrades that are like 4 years in between and in between those there are a lot of little cameras that come out within that 4 year period that are kinda wack. the ony one that might have been a fast upgrade was the 70d and 80d but that was after years of kinda the same stuff in the x0d line.
so upgrading the 1DX to the 1DX2 does not count?
so upgrading the 5D to the 5D2 does not count?
so upgrading the 5D2 to the 5D3 does not count?
so upgrading the 5D3 to the 5D4 does not count?
so upgrading the 6D to the 6D2 does not count?
so upgrading the 7D to the 7D2 does not count?
so upgrading the 50D to the 60D does not count?
so upgrading the 60D to the 70D does not count?
so upgrading the 70D to the 80D does not count?

Just what exactly does count? ? ? ?

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
If no 4K and 6D dynamic range, forget it. Doesn't make sense to me as I'm mostly video.
Love Canon, but just doesn't make sense in these times. Might as well get an M50, which I'm not.
Sticking with my a6400 preorder if this is the case.
Sadly for you, me and many others, we are in for a continued rough ride with Canon for the time being. They will break through it eventually but we will have some more crippling, recycling and overpricing to get through first.

Upvote 0
It'll be that non-feature video IS Canon uses on marketing to trick users into thinking it's IBIS.
It's buried way back in this monster thread somewhere but essentially dual sensing IS is a combination of IS info from the in-lens gyro and image motion data from the sensor which, when combined, allow for more precise motion compensation. Thanks to the OP who posted a link to an interview with Canon where they describe in some detail how it works. Not to be confused with electronic IS.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Sadly for you, me and many others, we are in for a continued rough ride with Canon for the time being. They will break through it eventually but we will have some more crippling, recycling and overpricing to get through first.

I want to just agree with you, but the element of Canon's gear being overpriced strikes me as interesting because how do we put a price on ergonomics and usability, where Canon continues to lead? Isn't that worth as much as some of the features Canon's cameras lack as compared to other manufacturers?

Why not? "High-end mirrorless space" is not a meaningful definition of any particular market.

Isn't it, though? Canon themselves admit that the R is not a pro model, and neither is the RP. No pro models have been announced at this time.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Wanting a better sensor instead of one that’s 2 years old really isn’t that much to ask for or expect in a brand new product.

It just dawned on me that I've never compared 6D2 and A72 high ISO files. (The A72 was the competition when the 6D2 was released.) Guess which is better? Not the Sony.

Going even further back the original A7 had awful high ISO. A crop 80D is about as good. The competition at the time, the 6D, buried the A7 on high ISO.

So why is it Canon's sensors were and are ragged on, yet Sony's were and are praised? Canon bumped MP yet held the line pretty well on high ISO. Sony did manage to improve high ISO in the A72 but it wasn't until the A73 that they could actually compete with the 6D2 sensor.

Is the 6D2 sensor two years old? Or was Sony four years behind?

I know, I know...DR at base ISO. Nothing in the entire world of photography matters except base ISO DR and "ISO invariance." Just ask DPReview where they think everyone superglues their ISO dial, shoots on full manual, and mentally recalculates their ISO 100 meter readings for ISO 6400.

Interesting thing...Sony went backwards in base ISO DR between the A7 (14.2) and A7 II (13.6). Did anyone meme about this? Complain about Sony 'reusing a two year old' 24mp sensor and making it even worse?

What am I thinking? Only Canon reuses sensor tech. Every other sensor ever made is a completely new design...new architecture, new CAD files, new tape out...with nothing at all borrowed from the previous generation. And they're all just perfect. Except for Canon and their poor, old, reused sensors. Clearly the 6D II's sensor is really a reused D30 sensor. And honestly the D30's sensor was just reused Kodacolor film...expired film at that.

:rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 4.15.13 PM.png

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0