Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Ahhhh cmon Canon, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I did just that over last summer after 15 years shooting Canon and thinking the R was a complete joke. Bought an a7iii and haven't looked back, you should do the same. Canon has proven to be inept when it comes to sensor tech, AF and FF mirrorless cameras in general.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would ask for a source but it doesn't matter because this would affect low light/high ISO images, not bright light/low ISO images..

About Foveon: I read roughly 10 years ago that a lot of green and especially red light is absorbed while it tries to penetrate the sensor layers. The stacking is blue -> green -> red. An ISO 1600 test shows, that this sensor in APS-C size is roughtly 2 stops worse just compared to a G1X: http://thenewcamera.com/sigma-dp2-quattro-high-iso-test/
And look at the green color which is confined in other cameras - Foveon lets it swap around its position ...
These deficits will affect the bas ISO quality - just think about native ISOs of 100 for blue, 200 for green and 400 for red (the deepest layer).

I really like the concept of Foveon but it seems that this sensor shows its specific qualities at low ISO, good lighting and explicitly no underexposure - maybe the Kodachrome 25 equivalent of today :)
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61885615

Your algorithm would result in worse fine detail than simply demosaicing the 100mp image and then using a high quality algorithm to scale to 25mp. Also: modern demosaicing algorithms typically look at all 8 neighboring pixels, not just the other 3 in a quad.

You're looking for an improvement in color accuracy/detail that simply isn't there to be gained.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough! I NEVER spoke about improvement of BOTH parameters but having the option of large files with lots of detail and good color plus lots of calculations for debayering OR smaller files with less detail and superb color with much less need for calculation. I am aware of the fact that downscaling from 100 MPix to 25 MPix will result in very similar results like directly recording from 100 MPix sensors in 25 MPix full color format!
About 8 neighboring pixels: They just aren't drawn because I had to fiddle a lot to make just that graphical representation because fixed fonts seem not to be fixed enough (at least the spaces :)

At least one point about debayering: It doesn't work well with monochromatic light sources like e.g. LED tail lights of cars or traffic signals - these show strong artifacts which look like a chess pattern of R_R_R and the next line _R_R_ which is - just my idea - of the missing brightness data in the G and B subpixels: Pure red means that G and B subpixels see close to nothing. Downsampling in camera with quad pixel binning avoids this effekt.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I did just that over last summer after 15 years shooting Canon and thinking the R was a complete joke. Bought an a7iii and haven't looked back, you should do the same. Canon has proven to be inept when it comes to sensor tech, AF and FF mirrorless cameras in general.
Oh look. Another 'I'm new here' account pops up and says they switched to sony. Surprise surprise.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So, more trolls with new accounts.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Good riddance!:p

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
After having read all the "I dumped my Canon because they are so inept and now, live a life of perfect harmony in Wonderful Sony World", I can imagine Canon engineers committing mass_seppuku or begging Wonderful Sony to hire them.
Despite their notorious incompetence...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
By the way: the more and more aggressive anti-Canon posts simply prove that Canon is on the right way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
well it's a bit of a hype and yes, Sony is doing great things, but in my scene (wedding photography) I also hear about a lot of ppl that have switched to the A73 and say it's the greatest thing ever. Thing is; I'm sure it's good but it's not a perfect body; I find the EVF seriously inferior to the higher 3.6mpix resolution EVF's, and I don't like the grip and buttons very much. The lack of touch screen implementation is also a thing I don't quite understand.

If I'm going to dive into a system, I'd like a futureproof body that will keep me happy for at least a year or 4. So I'll wait a bit; in about one year my 5D4's have taken quite a good beating (I use them professionally) and my impression is that Canon by then will have some good pro options on the market too. I'll make up my mind by then (and who knows, maybe Sony has a new generation too by then).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am a "I am a new here" and i would like a 80D :cool: or good APS-C for wildlife photo (coming from 500D ... :rolleyes:)
I am in a similar boat. I am strongly considering the full frame RP. The price point is around what a new xxD would be. I don’t think we will see a crop R series camera for a while or possibly ever. The M series is currently covering crop.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Well, you kind of keep looking back, hence your post on Canon Rumors...:)
Are we missing something on the Sony side, maybe?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Maybe I wasn't clear enough! I NEVER spoke about improvement of BOTH parameters but having the option of large files with lots of detail and good color plus lots of calculations for debayering OR smaller files with less detail and superb color with much less need for calculation.

You were clear. And I'll repeat: there's not much left to be gained, beyond Bayer, in terms of color accuracy or fine color detail. Go compare images in the Imaging Resource Comparometer. Sigma claims 29 'effective' MP for the SD Quattro. The 5D IV is roughly equal in the color fabric area of the IR studio scene. (The 5D IV image needs some sharpening, but the data is there.) Switch to the 7D mk II which is closer to the physical or spatial resolution of the Quattro. The Foveon sensor is better in the color fabrics (except red which is a mess). Now switch to the 5Ds or 5Dsr and watch the Quattro get crushed in all respects.

IR's tool has the drawback of being based off JPEGs. I know ACR would improve the color detail rendition of all the Bayer sensors, I've seen it in resolution testing using a color map as the target. I have little doubt that the 5D IV RAW file would out perform the Foveon file, and the 6D2 would be darn close if not equal in all respects.

You can choose RAW in DPReview's tool but unfortunately they don't have a section which clearly stresses color detail the way the fabrics do in the IR studio scene. Which reminds us that we're talking about improvements at the very edge of details primarily defined by color (rather than luminance) variations. Coarser details aren't going to show the difference.

So we're looking at 33-50% more pixels in a Bayer sensor to match or exceed a Foveon sensor in terms of color detail rendition at the very edge of the sensor's capabilities...stuff you'll only notice while pixel peeping or inspecting very large prints. If you take a 100mp Bayer sensor and spit out 25mp images you've lost color detail.

About 8 neighboring pixels: They just aren't drawn because I had to fiddle a lot to make just that graphical representation because fixed fonts seem not to be fixed enough

You're missing the point that modern demosaicing algorithms are already recovering more color information than most people assume. There's a persistent myth that we're losing something special or important by using Bayer. That would only be true if Bayer had the same spatial resolution and ISO characteristics as a stacked sensor. Bayer has raced passed stacked sensors. A 50mp 5Ds does not lack for fine color detail at any print size you or I are likely to ever make. What will a 100mp sensor lack?

At least one point about debayering: It doesn't work well with monochromatic light sources like e.g. LED tail lights of cars or traffic signals - these show strong artifacts which look like a chess pattern of R_R_R and the next line _R_R_ which is - just my idea - of the missing brightness data in the G and B subpixels: Pure red means that G and B subpixels see close to nothing. Downsampling in camera with quad pixel binning avoids this effekt.

I've actually tried to isolate and exploit this in the past. Everything I tried suggests that artifacts on strong neon or LED light sources are much more about channel blowout. The only way I could create the situation you describe (only 1/3 or 1/2 of the pixels responding to the scene) is through narrow filters on the lens.

And if you have that situation with a 100mp sensor then downsizing in post is little different from downsizing in camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Nice to meet you! There's a rain storm coming to my area. If you live near me maybe we can go shoot some scenic landscapes in the rough weather.

What do you shoot? A Sony? Oh...uh...maybe when the sun comes out then.

Upvote 0
I have a question, DSLR's have a shutter that protect the sensor while changing lenses, the sensor is also far in the back, preventing any accidental touch etc. How does mirrorless cameras deal with those two issues, while the sensor is exposed all the time and it is not far from the mounting ring?

Thanks!
go and read the specs for the canon R, there you will see how canon solve that problem!

Upvote 0
well it's a bit of a hype and yes, Sony is doing great things, but in my scene (wedding photography) I also hear about a lot of ppl that have switched to the A73 and say it's the greatest thing ever. Thing is; I'm sure it's good but it's not a perfect body; I find the EVF seriously inferior to the higher 3.6mpix resolution EVF's, and I don't like the grip and buttons very much. The lack of touch screen implementation is also a thing I don't quite understand.

If I'm going to dive into a system, I'd like a futureproof body that will keep me happy for at least a year or 4. So I'll wait a bit; in about one year my 5D4's have taken quite a good beating (I use them professionally) and my impression is that Canon by then will have some good pro options on the market too. I'll make up my mind by then (and who knows, maybe Sony has a new generation too by then).

I shot a wedding this past weekend (although I don't consider myself a wedding photographer -I just get asked to do them a lot). I used the a7III for 80% of the photos and my 5D IV for the rest. It really is a great camera (the Sony) for indoor events where the face and eye tracking can't be beat. However if asked the question "You leaving for such-and-such a place for three or more weeks and you can only take one camera" I will chose my Canon every single time. So not an "anti-Canon/pro-Sony" post so much as saying I ADDED Sony to my kit. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have a question, DSLR's have a shutter that protect the sensor while changing lenses, the sensor is also far in the back, preventing any accidental touch etc. How does mirrorless cameras deal with those two issues, while the sensor is exposed all the time and it is not far from the mounting ring?

Thanks!
The EOS R is pretty much the only one that does anything and it closes the shutter curtains so that the sensor is well protected from dust.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd really love to finally see a serious video shooter from Canon. Been using my 1DX2 to shoot 4k from time to time and it does really well. But it's bulky for that purpose (especially when trying to put on a Ronin M). I'd hoped for 4k/60 in the EOS R but best we got was 4k/30. But with 10 bit 422 CLog output over HDMI ... which I cant even do 4K output on my DX2. If the EOS RP hits with the same 4k specs as the EOS R, for $1500... I may well be all in purely as a video machine. being able to sling out 4k Canon video (which Sony doesn't compare... sorry) at that level into an Atomos Ninja for things like interviews and regular 24fps shooting... I'm in heaven.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'd really love to finally see a serious video shooter from Canon. Been using my 1DX2 to shoot 4k from time to time and it does really well. But it's bulky for that purpose (especially when trying to put on a Ronin M). I'd hoped for 4k/60 in the EOS R but best we got was 4k/30. But with 10 bit 422 CLog output over HDMI ... which I cant even do 4K output on my DX2. If the EOS RP hits with the same 4k specs as the EOS R, for $1500... I may well be all in purely as a video machine. being able to sling out 4k Canon video (which Sony doesn't compare... sorry) at that level into an Atomos Ninja for things like interviews and regular 24fps shooting... I'm in heaven.
That is really not how it works with Canon.
The smaller (lighter), lower-end camera is a step down equally in terms of photo and video (with the same sensor size) with some different features like the flip-sceen on the 6DII over the 5DIV or optional C-Log on the latter vs 1DXII

So it is highly doubtful that we get any kind of 4k with the EOS RP (or clean HDMI, C-Log, headphone jack, etc.)
The most I was hopeful was an IPB only 4k like the M50 (slower UHS-I slot can still allow that), but even that would put it in a weird position with a better crop factor than the EOS R, so I doubt it is going to happen. Will turn out soon enough anyway.

Upvote 0