Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Focus bracketing? That I can certainly get behind! I wonder if it will try to stitch in camera or provide multiple images for stitching with third party software? I wonder if it can show you the areas of the image it thinks are in/out of focus? I wonder how much of this will be added to the R in the upcoming firmware update?

Now I'm a bit more excited - I really didn't expect to see focus bracketing included.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I really have little first hand expirence with EVFs, just working with the M50 and R side by side. If it’s the same EVF as the M50 than it’s a disappointment to me, “entry level” or not, on a $1300-1600 camera.

Edit: And I am happy to be wrong here, if this is just an issue in my head and works out fine, then even better.

you are confusing magnification (which the M50 has little of). The EVF spec has little bearing on this. just because it's the same dots doesn't mean it's any less good than the Sony's as an example. up to this year the best EVF's only had 2.36Mdots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd suggest thinking consumer specs - which you I guess weren't. what did you expect? a high end video machine handling broadcast capable bitrates and bit depth?

As per several of my earlier posts on the topic, something relatively similar to the EOS R as the EOS R specs were very basic at 4k30. I’d previously stated that while 10 bit 422 clog out over hdmi (on the EOS R) would be nice, i had lesser faith it would make it to the RP. (Maybe just Clog). I’d prefer the RP if only for the lesser crop factor but the EOS R will do as well.

Many times, I’d like something smaller than my 1DX2 to shoot video as Ive been doing more
Of that lately. Beautiful video from it, but it is bulkly to balanace on a gimbal (Ronin M) and cant send 4k out.

I usually shoot in 4k24 anyway (interviews and standard b roll stuff) so that works great for me as long as i get it out the HDMi port

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
CanonWatch wrote it’s definitely not the same sensor, only the same res. But I don’t know how much I believe that..

Thats what I thought as well. If memory serves the 6D2 was built on the older fab process where the ADC is off chip. My theory was this was the same size sensor but built on the new process with the ADC onboard. Which would effectively be a whole new sensor with a totally different pedformance

Upvote 0
The sensor is the last important variable for me: Because I need some DR I need a sensor which is comparable to 200D or M50. But I am confident that Canon has listened to the DR fights on different rumors and the sensor will have some robust 13.5+ stops of DR. Maybe they have reused all the 6D ii photosite / filter / microlens equipment and designs but improved the signal processing backend of the sensor meaning on chip ADC. So ...

Maybe one of the most interesting camera releases in the last 10 years: A FF camera fully compatible with my ~8 mid level EF-S lenses. If the crop factor for 4k is really 1.6 ... great: I have developed some feeling for APS-C-focal lengths which can be reused.
Head phone out isn't that important because I intend to record in NOS stereo technique with phantom powered microphones so I bought an external recorder. With LinearPCM which it hopefully has I can feed the audio signal from the recorder directly into the camera and use it without any synchronization: makes my future steps into video much easier.

The extension plate is a funny thing - reminds me on concrete (or steel) plates they built into lighter SUVs to bring its mass above 2.8 tonnes - to save taxes :)

Upvote 0
As per several of my earlier posts on the topic, something relatively similar to the EOS R as the EOS R specs were very basic at 4k30. I’d previously stated that while 10 bit 422 clog out over hdmi (on the EOS R) would be nice, i had lesser faith it would make it to the RP. (Maybe just Clog). I’d prefer the RP if only for the lesser crop factor but the EOS R will do as well.

Many times, I’d like something smaller than my 1DX2 to shoot video as Ive been doing more
Of that lately. Beautiful video from it, but it is bulkly to balanace on a gimbal (Ronin M) and cant send 4k out.

I usually shoot in 4k24 anyway (interviews and standard b roll stuff) so that works great for me as long as i get it out the HDMi port

I'd be fine if the HDMI output wasn't 10 bit, but would actually be surprised if it's limited to 8bit. The HDMI hardware being used is now becoming pretty standard.

The crop will be around halfway in between the crop of the EOS R and your 1DX Mark II.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Well the Japanese starting price (body only) is actually 173,000 yen according to Nokishita Camera (but it will go down once it is in stock)

That's really not far off the EOS R, which started at 237,000 yen (but now it is around 190,000 yen)

This would suggest a price drop is definitely coming on the EOS R to bring them closer, the RP is priced more aggressively in international markets from the get-go.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd be fine if the HDMI output wasn't 10 bit, but would actually be surprised if it's limited to 8bit. The HDMI hardware being used is now becoming pretty standard.

The crop will be around halfway in between the crop of the EOS R and your 1DX Mark II.

That’s what Id expect. 8bit output instead
Of 10. Maybe Clog. Maybe not. Log Gamma seems so commonplace now in these $1500-$2000 milcs, so id love to see it here too. And yes the crop should be a bit closer to 1.5 vs 1.75 while my DX2 is a very easy 1.3.

I keep waiting to see Canon design a video focused MILC (a better Sony A7s). 12MP full frame 4k readout. Clog. 10bit 422 out (like Eos R). Id gladly cough up $3k for that

Upvote 0
Yeah, that really looks like a step back to me. SNR of 26.2 dB for the 6D mark II compared to 26.2 dB for the 6D at ISO 3200. SNR of 29.1 dB for the 6D Mark II compared to 29.2 dB for the 6D at ISO 1600. I guess you got me there!View attachment 183060

Introducing a camera that has worse SNR at high ISO compared to a model that was released five years prior is indeed a step back. And this while competitors were making significant improvements in this area year after year. And questionable dynamic range at base ISO while competitors are breaking DR records with each new full frame sensor they release.

Now if Canon chooses to use the exact same 6D mk ii sensor on RP, that would be a "jump" back.

Of course, Canon can still put their marketing muscle behind this product and make it successful with attractive pricing, promotions and product placement throughout the retail channel. Once they have significant market share in the full frame mirrorless market and a respectable arsenal of RF lenses, they can bring out RF mount cameras with better sensors and features and drive the upgrade cycle.

Upvote 0