Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

Sep 17, 2014
$3000 dollar native lenses, $1500 camera. Makes sense.

There is the EOS-R which is $2300. Only one lens is $3000. The 35mm 1.8 is $499, the 24-105 is $1099. There are tons of great and cheap EF lenses which can be used.
You cannot make everyone happy, some want a cheaper body, some want a more PRO, feature-packed one.
Canon decided the cheaper option has priority which i agree with. The more expensive body needs probably more development.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2013
The original EOS R is still at the intro price so once the price is reduced a bit, it’s right at the price point where the RP is...doesn’t make much sense. It’s going to be similar to the 7ti, 77d, 80d in the crop world...very similar type camera, just with small variations in function. Confusing business plan to me.

I thought that the current R was the cheaper model and the higher pro model was to follow. What happened to that plan??

Upvote 0
The original EOS R is still at the intro price so once the price is reduced a bit, it’s right at the price point where the RP is...doesn’t make much sense. It’s going to be similar to the 7ti, 77d, 80d in the crop world...very similar type camera, just with small variations in function. Confusing business plan to me.

I thought that the current R was the cheaper model and the higher pro model was to follow. What happened to that plan??

The rumour here states clearly, higher model anticipated following in Q4?

Upvote 0
Actually, it was the AE-1 that really boosted Canon. It was not a pro model, but sold in huge numbers (over 1 million), and locked in the Canon formula for success that they still use today. Produce cameras that are reliable, can be mass produced for a low cost, and flood the market with them. Nikon made better bodies, but they could not match the sales volumes or Canon's ability to have low prices and still make a high profit.

Canon still uses that formula, every penny spent to manufacture one has to be justified, they don't throw in frills unless they will payback in sales and profits.

Nikon got into trouble just a few years back, they were including questionable tech that was expensive to produce, cameras were difficult to assemble and repair, it cost them dearly because they could not match Canon's prices and still make a profit. I hope they have learned from that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_AE-1

I have 2x AE-1 Programs ;). But lets face it, the 5D was ground breaking for it's pricepoint as was the Mark II for it's video functionality. Some of us want to see Canon break some new ground, thats all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If they cripple it too much, then who buys it? You my as well save your money and get the R. $1400 or less would have been a better choice. $1600 just seems too close in price to the Sony and Nikon, and I'd have to guess this won't come close to those cameras.
The same people that bought a 6D Mark II but wished it was smaller, used one AF system and had a more flexible mount (or 4k video for that matter as well as a true silent mode)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
There is the EOS-R which is $2300. Only one lens is $3000. The 35mm 1.8 is $499, the 24-105 is $1099. There are tons of great and cheap EF lenses which can be used.
You cannot make everyone happy, some want a cheaper body, some want a more PRO, feature-packed one.
Canon decided the cheaper option has priority which i agree with. The more expensive body needs probably more development.
talking about the RP if it is a cheap camera. we have enough low budge canon cameras. arent 100 different rebels, m5, m50, gx somethings enough?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Nobodies sensors have improved much over the pastr two generations (at least) so the constant whining about re-using sensors is just ignorance talking. Yes, Sony's Exmor is slightly better than Canon 5D IV's. We know. And innovations? Maybe not "sexy" but Canon does things that directly improve the photo taking experience. Much better touch screen functionality, Touch screen AF point selection, Adapters that improve the functionality of existing lenses (how come nobody else thought of that?), Sensor dust screen (how come nobody else thought of that?).

If companies like Sony are so innovative, how come they can't make a camera that shoots 4K and doesn't overheat? How come the ergonomics are brutal? How come nobody else can match Canon's color science? Certainly these innovative companies should be able to innovate the BASICS???

Look, nobody minds when people tell the truth, but the bullsh!t is so deep in these forums it's almost as if half the folks here never actually used a camera and just repeat the same crap over and over. If you need IBIS and want to criticize Canon for not having it, just say so instead of repeating the same lack of innovation crap. If you need two card slots, either wait for the Canon pro model (which you know will have them) or just say I need two slots, can't wait, so switching brands. Fine, nobody cares if you want to switch if you just be honest and tell us why. Instead of making the usual bullcrap generalizations, just say I am not getting what I want, rather than making proclamations about Canon. Otherwise you just come across as an ignorant bullcrap artist.
sony held back in generation 3. i think they are about to drop some big bombs and are getting their shit together before they release the a7siii and beyond. They got a lot of sensors being listed with 8k , 100mp, 150mp, and other new tech. the new FF ones arent in any cameras yet. I think they will go harder than ever before with their next high end release. if the compettiton can barely keep up with their old cameras from 2017 with sensors form 2015, a 2019 2020 camera will be crazy.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
which was a bargain compared to the $7000 1Ds. I think the mkII was $2-2.5k though, wasn't it? Or maybe my memory is off but I recall the price jumped up a notch at some point (think it was the mkIII, then the 6D got in at about where the 5DmkII had been)?
That's another discussion. Please look at the original post I replied to.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The question remains; if Sony is so good in so many areas why aren't they in the best financial situation with their camera gear. And, are all these amazing sensors going to be 50% better and their cameras sell at 50% less so that everyone that's not a dinosaur flocks to Sony. Sorry, I'm a doubter.

I have every confidence that Canon will release another camera and all the chirping, i.e. " The EOS R is too little, too late, and needs more features to compete with Sony's offerings. We all want the next release to be bigger and better and Canon couldn't possibly give us less of a camera because no one wants that! " - Reviewers, customers, and critics, will start condemning it, and it will fill a need and sell well. Just like the chirping that condemned Canon for putting WiFi in the 6D, and it sold well and users loved it. :rolleyes:

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The question remains; if Sony is so good in so many areas why aren't they in the best financial situation with their camera gear. And, are all these amazing sensors going to be 50% better and their cameras sell at 50% less so that everyone that's not a dinosaur flocks to Sony. Sorry, I'm a doubter.

I have every confidence that Canon will release another camera and all the chirping, i.e. " The EOS R is too little, too late, and needs more features to compete with Sony's offerings. We all want the next release to be bigger and better and Canon couldn't possibly give us less of a camera because no one wants that! " - Reviewers, customers, and critics, will start condemning it, and it will fill a need and sell well. Just like the chirping that condemned Canon for putting WiFi in the 6D, and it sold well and users loved it. :rolleyes:

Jack

If Sony was so bad, why does Fujifilm, Hasselblad, GoPro, DJI, and most cell phone manufactures use their sensors? You mentioned the financial situation of Sony's camera division, but do you not remember Nikon being close to shutting off the lights with them noting that cell phone cameras are making it more difficult. The camera that helped save them was the D850, a camera with a Sony sensor.

Sony has been building up their camera business to more than likely sell off. I look at Sony's camera gear as a way to show off their sensor capabilities, just like how Google used the Nexus and Pixel phones to show what Android can do. At the end of the day, it wouldn't surprise me if Canon jumps on the Sony sensor manufacture bandwagon to allow them to focus more on the end product and fine tuning the sensor and auto focus system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
At the end of the day, it wouldn't surprise me if Canon jumps on the Sony sensor manufacture bandwagon to allow them to focus more on the end product and fine tuning the sensor and auto focus system.

It would surprise me. I'm sure they'd much rather keep the profit from the extra margin you get from keeping your designs in-house. Unless they fall so far behind that they can't sell cameras, I can't see any real motivation for Canon to switch to anyone else's sensors.

Upvote 0
sony held back in generation 3. i think they are about to drop some big bombs and are getting their shit together before they release the a7siii and beyond. They got a lot of sensors being listed with 8k , 100mp, 150mp, and other new tech. the new FF ones arent in any cameras yet. I think they will go harder than ever before with their next high end release. if the compettiton can barely keep up with their old cameras from 2017 with sensors form 2015, a 2019 2020 camera will be crazy.

Yes, I heard about that Sony camera too, 8K 100mp... comes with a built in hot plate so that you can fry an egg while shooting video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sensor business and camera business are very different. Sensor business requires huge capital investment. Digital camera companies that are new to the business cannot afford or may not want to handle all the components of the camera; the sensor being the most expensive if it is not done at scale.

Canon will likely not use Sony sensors for ILC business until Sony sells off it's camera business or until photo sensors become commodities. Relying on a competitor for such a crucial component would be plain stupid.

If Sony was so bad, why does Fujifilm, Hasselblad, GoPro, DJI, and most cell phone manufactures use their sensors? You mentioned the financial situation of Sony's camera division, but do you not remember Nikon being close to shutting off the lights with them noting that cell phone cameras are making it more difficult. The camera that helped save them was the D850, a camera with a Sony sensor.

Upvote 0