Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in stock and ready to ship

I've been an R user for a couple of months now. I loved it from the get go and have only loved it more as time has passed and I've gotten nearly all of it figured to my liking. I've been shooting exclusively with adapted EF glass my Sigma 150-600. I feel they work better adapted to the R than mounted to a traditional dslr. I'm holding out for the RP 16-35mm. Also releasing very soon, maybe tomorrow, is the adapter with either the drop in polarizer or ND filter ring. I got the polarizer version preordered. Literally one filter for ANY lens attached via the adapter! I can't wait to boost contrast and saturation on wildlife on very bright days where I can afford the stop in slowness. Eagles beware, lol!!!!!!!!

I had initially thought the same way -- that the drop in adapters would be the way to go. However, as more RF lenses are being released, I'm seeing less value in it as I'll be transitioning from EF to RF.

Upvote 0
I had initially thought the same way -- that the drop in adapters would be the way to go. However, as more RF lenses are being released, I'm seeing less value in it as I'll be transitioning from EF to RF.

Even if I transition most of middle distance lens to RF, the rear mounted polarizer will be helpful for those super long distances and ultrawide. I'm curious (and hopeful) to see if I can get it to work at 8mm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hey @Mr_EMan I ordered the RP and the 35mm last week and they charged my credit card yesterday. Hopefully shipping out today.

Then wait for the UPS notice on my door, then ask them to hold the package at a UPS store.....

If you are waiting for a delivery attempt and door tag before requesting a hold at a UPS location you are doing it wrong. As soon as you get a UPS tracking number for the shipment go online and request a delivery change to a hold for pickup at the UPS location. That is what I always do with high value packages that require a signature for delivery so I save a day of delivery time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Waiting for the reviews - if this ends up being a 6D II+ it might be worth the jump.
This is one camera that the reviews are going to show everything very much like what is expected, 6DII sensor and IQ, great auto focus with ok eye AF, Video issues we all know about from the specs. I bet nobody pre-ordering will be disappointed, Some naysers will come around just liek the 6D2 and the R.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
If you are waiting for a delivery attempt and door tag before requesting a hold at a UPS location you are doing it wrong. As soon as you get a UPS tracking number for the shipment go online and request a delivery change to a hold for pickup at the UPS location. That is what I always do with high value packages that require a signature for delivery so I save a day of delivery time.

Am I doing it wrong?

Upvote 0
I'd love to have native glass but I have a feeling everything introduced will be mega expensive. For example Canon's 100mm F2 (an absolute secret/hidden gem no one talks about) -- I got mine for $250 shipped. I can wipe the floor with any $2000 L zoom. for 10% of the cost. If Canon came out with a 100MM F2 IS for $500 i'd bite. But that sounds far fetched. That's just one example. There's many great EF hits out there.

I wish Canon redoes the 40mm pancake.. another gem. and i don't use the term gem lightly.. i'm very very picky about lens performance.

Take a look at what the 100mm F2 does... (of course with a decent user behind it) haha .. and this photo is incredibly sharp at full res corner to corner. Taken from a moving car too @ 80mph.

BTW just received my R.. battery fully dead. charging.

feel like a chump though.. got mine for $1990 refurbished (means someone opened the box and returned it) but they're selling on ebay new as of yesterday for $1899. oh well.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hmm, maybe there is a shipment option that forces a delivery attempt at the original detestation address before the delivery can be redirected to a hold at location? I don't think I have ever had that happen with UPS shipments with any of the cameras and lenses that B&H has shipped to me (but maybe I have when FedEx was delivering my last cell phone). Have you registered at UPS for a UPS My Choice® account and signed in with that? Maybe some delivery change options require that. Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread with UPS issues...

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I'm traveling to Europe in a month and thought this would be the perfect travel camera. I'm anxiously awaiting my tracking number, just like the rest of you. I also ordered the rf 24-105mm kit. Any thoughts on a complimentary lens or lenses for a week on the Mediterranean?
RF 35mm f1.8 is an outstanding lens on my R and should be a natural on the smaller RP... and under $450

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I agonized over the RP vs. the EOS R. I decided on the EOS R. I get it today!! Excited.

The reasons that swayed me were:

-RP not out at the time
-RP does NOT do silent shutter (hope they do in a future firmware update, how this is held back blows my mind)
-R shutter is rated to 200k cycles. RP is 100k. (not a huge deal, but it did help sway me)
-R has noticably better dynamic range and shadow recovery. Used to shoot the 6D and 5DII and shadow recovery was always nasty.
-R uses a bigger battery

I do like the way the RP looks with the grip, and its smaller size. But really when it came down to it, I love the ability to shoot silently.

I have a feeling I won't like the mode dial on the R. I like the traditional mode dial since I switch between TV and AV a lot. I like being able to switch on the fly. No idea how I'll do with the R. I'm sure it's possible.. just not sure if it's as fluid as turning a knob.
If I were you I would set the control ring on the lens to your AV (Aperture priority) and the control tab/slider on the back of the camera to change TV (or ISO)...

Have fun with your new setup!!! Post some pics somewhere...are you on Facebook - join the Canon Cameras forum there.

Upvote 0
Thanks, will post some photos soon I hope with the new lens setups. Excited to try the Tamron 45 VC. As far as the R.. it does look more attractive. I just charged the battery 75% (couldn't wait til 100) and set up some menu stuff. In the hand it feels incredibly good. smaller in hand than it looks in photos (which is a good thing)

I love how ergonomic the shutter button is...I love my Fujis but i never liked how the fuji shutter button is completely up right. it will take me getting used to the Canon way again (the correct way).

I shot Canon since 05 then switched to Fuji, now switching back to Canon (as my primary)

I actually never stopped shooting Canon. Had an M, then M3, then M6. The M6 is up for sale on eBay. 10/10 condition! i'm sure someone can find it if interested. lol

Upvote 0
I'd love to have native glass but I have a feeling everything introduced will be mega expensive. For example Canon's 100mm F2 (an absolute secret/hidden gem no one talks about) -- I got mine for $250 shipped. I can wipe the floor with any $2000 L zoom. for 10% of the cost. If Canon came out with a 100MM F2 IS for $500 i'd bite. But that sounds far fetched. That's just one example. There's many great EF hits out there.

I wish Canon redoes the 40mm pancake.. another gem. and i don't use the term gem lightly.. i'm very very picky about lens performance.

Take a look at what the 100mm F2 does... (of course with a decent user behind it) haha .. and this photo is incredibly sharp at full res corner to corner. Taken from a moving car too @ 80mph.

View attachment 183341

BTW just received my R.. battery fully dead. charging.

feel like a chump though.. got mine for $1990 refurbished (means someone opened the box and returned it) but they're selling on ebay new as of yesterday for $1899. oh well.

That is a nice lens at a value. Another great one is the 100mm 2.8 macro. Equally sharp and you get true macro at the expensive of not being f2. I got a great first generation one for $200.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I'd love to have native glass but I have a feeling everything introduced will be mega expensive. For example Canon's 100mm F2 (an absolute secret/hidden gem no one talks about) -- I got mine for $250 shipped.

I've seen the 100mm f2 on quite a few lists of good affordable lenses, though it's true it doesn't often show up on lists of lenses just for how good it is on its other merits. It's often mentioned beside the quite similar 85mm f1.8 with the recommendation that you should get one OR the other.

I think the EF system in general is a goldmine for many, many used lenses that are both good and affordable. It's unfortunate that people neglect this when discussing the RF system. People hate on adapters because so many companies have gotten them wrong (and there are obvious issues with adapting lenses to different manufacturers), but from all accounts Canon got it right and the adapters almost make EF lenses better (better AF performance, lets you use them on better featured bodies)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've seen the 100mm f2 on quite a few lists of good affordable lenses, though it's true it doesn't often show up on lists of lenses just for how good it is on its other merits. It's often mentioned beside the quite similar 85mm f1.8 with the recommendation that you should get one OR the other.

I think the EF system in general is a goldmine for many, many used lenses that are both good and affordable. It's unfortunate that people neglect this when discussing the RF system. People hate on adapters because so many companies have gotten them wrong (and there are obvious issues with adapting lenses to different manufacturers), but from all accounts Canon got it right and the adapters almost make EF lenses better (better AF performance, lets you use them on better featured bodies)

Yes Canon did get it right from what i've seen. i'll test today!

as for the 85 vs 100 debate.. It's similar yes but the 100 is superior. i've owned multiple copies of both. in fact i've owned multiple copies of many canon L and non-L glass. =) 85 is good but the 100 is great.

100 is metal threads while 85 has plastic.

85 is a tad soft wide open. 100 f2 is very very sharp wide open. but not perfectly sharp. Very similar to the 135L (which i've also owned several of)

Sharpest lens I ever used is my Fuji 90mm F2. It's perfectly sharp.

wide open Fuji 90mm. At 1:1, it's scary detailed. to the extreme corners.

Upvote 0