Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in stock and ready to ship

Jul 21, 2010
I am not in a rush to buy RF lenses, as my EF lenses work wonderfully. Most likely, I will judiciously buy lenses that I can't get in EF (because outside of super telephotos, I own most of the EF lenses I want), like the 28-70/2.
Nor am I, for the same reason. But I did get the RF 24-105 as a convenient, native walkaround lens.

Upvote 0
I had initially thought the same way -- that the drop in adapters would be the way to go. However, as more RF lenses are being released, I'm seeing less value in it as I'll be transitioning from EF to RF.

That's exactly the question that came to me when I first saw that great idea of one drop-in adapter for all my lenses: wouldn't it be great if you also could use it with your RF lenses?
If I "go R", my next lenses will most likely be RF lenses, it would be frustrating to be stuck with a 500$ adapter that can only be used on my "old" lenses…

My guess is that if the thing is popular, an RF only version will be released.

Upvote 0
I'm confused…
I've been ready to put my (large) hands on a new camera for a while, now, as I'm still using the big, bulky, loud and heavy 1D mark ii.
The new RP is tempting, but I fear I may regret my 8.5 images per second, the fantastic feel that the 1D gives me when my hand wraps around it with enough space for all my fingers, it's robustness, and all that sort of things.

I guess I'm waiting for the next R, but maybe the RP is good enough for now? I sincerely don't know…

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's exactly the question that came to me when I first saw that great idea of one drop-in adapter for all my lenses: wouldn't it be great if you also could use it with your RF lenses?

My guess is that if the thing is popular, an RF only version will be released.
Ummmm, no. Why not? Because physics.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I was at Henry's in Toronto this afternoon. I see the RP body is priced at CDN$1699, and the 6D2 body at $1999. I wonder if Canon is saying 'If you want 6.5 FPS continuous you'll have to shell out $300."
a lot of older stuff keeps its same price. I guess companies dont feel like adjusting the price.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
Hmm, maybe there is a shipment option that forces a delivery attempt at the original detestation address before the delivery can be redirected to a hold at location? I don't think I have ever had that happen with UPS shipments with any of the cameras and lenses that B&H has shipped to me (but maybe I have when FedEx was delivering my last cell phone). Have you registered at UPS for a UPS My Choice® account and signed in with that? Maybe some delivery change options require that. Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread with UPS issues...

I dug around a little more and yeah, the options can be restricted by the shipper.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I won’t say I agonized over the decision, but I did give it some thought and like you, I opted for the R (it arrives tomorrow). The lower price of the RP was tempting, but I was swayed by:

• Faster frame rate
• The better EVF, which I hope makes the transition from an OVF easier
• Higher shutter durability
• Presumed accessory availability (e.g., RRS L-bracket)

Wasn’t worried about the RP’s smaller battery, as I have spares for the M6 that uses the same battery.
Will you be using the M6 in future - neat for travel?

Upvote 0
Well, UPS just said they delivered it. Pretty sad that the red grip was out of stock. I really wanted to try it out. I'll probably hold off using the RP until I get that grip. Don't want my pinky flapping in the wind.
Mine arrived today, a day after my camera bundle did. I have medium sized hands, and I'm going to try shooting with and without the extension. If you wear gloves larger than medium, you'll probably enjoy the extension.

Upvote 0
For similar reasons, I am very curious to see how the RF 24-240 lens performs. That could be a great walkabout lens too......

If you get a free EOS RP with the RF 24-240 @2k $/EUR ... why not? Just kidding. If that lens performs well it will be 1500 bucks or so and I love the idea of a compact, lightweigth lightweight (EDIT: not always th ) FF camera with 10x zoom for convenience. And great for video too after firmware 1.3 with 24p in 1080p for FF and crop mode (resulting in 16x effective zoom range)!

Upvote 0
Hmmm… Well, I kinda need an explanation, here!
After years of reading these forums, but not saying much, I think I know the answer to this one in simple terms. The EF lenses need to be farther away from the sensor to produce the image. The EF to RF adapter provides that extra distance, and Canon is conveniently using that extra space to allow a filter. Since that extra space won't work with RF lenses, you can't create an "adapter" for filters.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
After years of reading these forums, but not saying much, I think I know the answer to this one in simple terms. The EF lenses need to be farther away from the sensor to produce the image. The EF to RF adapter provides that extra distance, and Canon is conveniently using that extra space to allow a filter. Since that extra space won't work with RF lenses, you can't create an "adapter" for filters.

Thank you very much, that makes sense!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
If you get a free EOS RP with the RF 24-240 @2k $/EUR ... why not? Just kidding. If that lens performs well it will be 1500 bucks or so and I love the idea of a compact, lightweigth lightweight (EDIT: not always th ) FF camera with 10x zoom for convenience. And great for video too after firmware 1.3 with 24p in 1080p for FF and crop mode (resulting in 16x effective zoom range)!

I can't see it selling at that price, honestly. It's not an L lens (I expect there will eventually be an RF 28-300L or similar). The Nikon FX 28-300 is only $950 MSRP, I expect the RF 24-240 would have to be similar or less.

Upvote 0
I just got my RP this afternoon (from B&H; when I checked Adorama it was backordered). I like it. It fits beautifully in my hand with the grip extension, vastly superior to my A7 III (I bought an L-bracket for that camera just to get it close to being somewhat comfortable). I've decided that it's not a mirrorless 6D II, though. I think it's far closer to a full-frame M50. Almost everything (menus, AF options, etc.) is the same. At any rate, I got two spare Wasabi batteries and I'm gonna give it a workout in DC tomorrow. It's a nice camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0