Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I think there will be qualifiers/limitations* on some of the more extreme specs. Been true in the past. Eg. Is there DPAF with 8k RAW video? Is there eye-tracking or continuous AF at the top FPS? A lot of these specs can be done, with footnotes. Still pretty awesome, though. If it truly outperforms a 1DX3, will it cost any less?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
TenseElatedAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
what on earth can you NOT do with 45mb that hinders you, im curious!
To print a full size photo on a Canon PRO-4000 (44"x66") at 300ppi, you would need a 261 megapixel image. Now, granted that's not realistic, but 300ppi is generally the gold stand for printing resolution.

A 45mp sensor only gives you an anemic 51ppi when printing that large. So yes, when printing large there is a legitimate reason for having those high resolutions. (Edit, ok, my math was wrong, but it's only about 150ppi.)

Now granted, before people jump all over me with the "but the images still look fine when viewing from a normal distance" argument, yes, I admit that they do look ok. I have printed an uncropped image from my 5DIV at 44"x66", and it does look ok at a normal distance. But really, it's a little lackluster. If you were printing a photo of a city skyline or something with a lot of detail, it would be really neat to be able to get up close and see the small details, but you can't when the initial photo was only 30mp, or even 45mp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Article mentions one source says EOS R5 and with these stills specs I believe this is more a mirrorless replacement for the EOS 5DIV than a high resolution EOS Rs camera that has been talked about so much.

40-45MP does not sound high resoltion to me considering the last Canon S camera was 50MP (especially if its 40MP). A standard R is 30MP so Canons high resolution R would would only have 10MP more MP is hard to believe. I don't think you would even notice 10MP more resolution.

I'm hoping for 60+ MP so double the current camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
To me, this sounds like a conglomeration of the 5DS/r and 5DIV. I feel like that megapixel count will disappoint people wanting a 5DS/r replacement though. Personally, based on the photographic specs alone, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I was disappointed with the 1DXiii from a photography specs standpoint (I get why the video people were elated though), so I'd shell out the cash for this instead, if these specs come to fruition.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
The 1DX Mark III does 5.5K RAW 60 fps (up to 2,600 Mbps). 8K/30 video is four times the size of 4K/30. Sony & Nikon produce 4K @ 120 Mbps & 144 Mbps. Canon's EOS RP does 4K at 120 Mbps (IPB), EOS R does 4K at 480 Mbps (ALL-I). I don't see why Canon can't do 8K video at 480 Mbps (IBP) or 8K (ALL-I) at 1920 Mbps, even if with some limitations.

The same thing goes to 4K/120, which is also four times the size of 4K/30

The question isn't if they can do it, the question is why would they do it?

Upvote 0
Besides IBIS what I really want to see is increased dynamic range. They have some patents that would be able to get 14+ stops of range, with a sensor design that'd also be able to avoid rolling shutter. I'd like something like that more than almost anything else.
Let's add to IBIS & dynamic range, better eyeAF with the option to cycle through faces, oh and one last thing, we gotta have 2 card slots.
I think we have a winner.
Go Canon go!!!!

Wait I forgot, this is only wishful thinking

Upvote 0
To print a full size photo on a Canon PRO-4000 (44"x66") at 300ppi, you would need a 261 megapixel image. Now, granted that's not realistic, but 300ppi is generally the gold stand for printing resolution.

A 45mp sensor only gives you an anemic 51ppi when printing that large. So yes, when printing large there is a legitimate reason for having those high resolutions.

Now granted, before people jump all over me with the "but the images still look fine when viewing from a normal distance" argument, yes, I admit that they do look ok. I have printed an uncropped image from my 5DIV at 44"x66", and it does look ok at a normal distance. But really, it's a little lackluster. If you were printing a photo of a city skyline or something with a lot of detail, it would be really neat to be able to get up close and see the small details, but you can't when the initial photo was only 30mp, or even 45mp.

I do my own printing and own a 44" Epson printer, so I have some experience with these things.

We most certainly do NOT require native 300 ppl for high quality prints. We do typically interpolate the original image to 300ppi (or, as some prefer on Epson, 360ppi), but we can interpolate from much lower native resolutions and produce excellent quality in very large images. Many regard something around native 180ppi to be the lower threshold.

I don't know where you came up with your 51ppi number.

I don't have the pixel dimensions for a theoretical 45MP sensor handy but a 5DsR with 50MP has 8688 photo sites on the long dimension and 6792 on the short. You aren't going to make a 44" "tall" print on a 44" printer, more likely 40" with a typical margin, so let's look at a (huge!) 40" x 60" print. 8688 pixels divided by 60" is approximately 150 ppi uninterpolated — or three times higher than your 51 ppl number. Now a 40MP or 45MP sensor would produce a slightly lower native ppi value... but not that much lower.

In any case, a rumored 40MP or 45MP camera is almost certainly NOT the "mirrorless 5DsR." If it exists as described, it is far more likely the "mirrorless 5DIV." That makes logical sense for a whole bunch of reason, including that Canon is not going to decrease the pixel resolution of their high resolution model.

If the rumors of THAT camera having 75MP or a bit more than 80MP are true (which is likely given the MP resolution of the most recent Sony high MP sensors), then the math does get us to and beyond that minimal 180ppi standard for a 40" x 60" print... which is quite astounding for the full frame sensor.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I sure am glad I don't need that FPS speed, but 40mp would be nice to have.

Now for the question: When adapting old film lenses is there a point where the high mpix becomes a problem? I guess I am asking whether or not a camera can be too much horsepower for a lens; exaggerating aberrations, etc?

You have to try it to find out. Uncle Rog said that all lenses benefitted from more pixels, but how much each lens benefited seemed to be a function of how good the lens was:

Even a battered old 50 1.4 improved its resolution in stepping up from 22 to 50 MP, but not as much as higher quality lenses did.

I can't speak to aberrations, highlighting weaknesses, etc. I still only shoot on the 5D3 myself.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I tend to agree that this is a bunch of baloney. How could a "source" know that the battery is new, but looks like the LP-E6 and not be able to tell if the model is "5" or "S." If you've been close enough to see the battery, how could you not have been close enough to see the model number?

Still, playing devil's advocate for a minute here: 45 mp scales down to a respectable 17.5 mp in crop mode. It could be possible that Canon is developing a "hybrid" model in the sense that it offers high resolution in full frame mode and faster fps, etc., in crop mode. Perhaps this is the 7D replacement with a full frame sensor. I doubt it, but it does make for an interesting thought experiment.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
To me, this sounds like a conglomeration of the 5DS/r and 5DIV. I feel like that megapixel count will disappoint people wanting a 5DS/r replacement though. Personally, based on the photographic specs alone, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I was disappointed with the 1DXiii from a photography specs standpoint (I get why the video people were elated though), so I'd shell out the cash for this instead, if these specs come to fruition.

This is roughly 4.5x the stills throughput of the 5D4.

So no, this is a 5DS and 1DX3. Then with IBIS. Then on a major dose of steroids.

Which is to say that it is nonsense.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0