Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Sep 3, 2018
I never felt limited with the 18MP of the 7d I had nor the 22 MP of the 5DII I have just now, I can't see any benefit 40 odd MP and surely would want to go medium format above that mark. Medium format cameras aren't going much above the 1D bodies now.
I would love to be shooting with a Phase One IQ4 150 but at £45,000 with a single lens it just doesn't make any economical sense to own a camera like that any longer. I stopped buying Phase One with the P65 and can capture pretty much anything now with 35mm FF digital. The Sony A7IV at 61MP seems to do very well with that number of pixels on a FF chip without any drawbacks over the previous 42MP version so I don't see an issue with Canon doing similar.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I would be very surprised that the people wanting a 5Ds/r followup in a mirrorless body would outnumber those wanting a 'regular' 5D mirrorless stye body. General purpose over niche, right?

Sure, but:
Specs of this particular rumor
.​
.​
.​
.​
.​
1DX3 specs
5D4 specs
EOS R specs

The EOS R2 is not terribly far off sensor/horsepower-wise to the current 5D4. I'm not saying the EOS R is the mirrorless 5D4 (it's not), but some its performance specs are similar.

But this rumor is not remotely the 32 x 10, 36 x 8 sort of logical spec list you'd get in a future 5D5 or EOS R2.

So I don't see this rumor as the death knell for the 5DS line or the specs for a future flagship 5D5.

It is neither of them. It's a fantasy.

- A

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
.... Ever since I bought the 5DIV, I've been thinking that eventually the resolution of full frame bodies will reduce the need for high end crop sensor bodies. The nice thing about the R is that you can seamlessly switch to crop mode in the viewfinder, so I do think Canon may want to get the resolution up high enough to make the crop mode an acceptable alternative.

But, as you correctly point out, the price point is likely to be prohibitive.
I'm very happy with my 50 Mpx 5DSR, equivalent to a 20 Mpx. But, the large file sizes are a pain.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
No information about the focusing?!? I want all the goodies that Peter Read Miller mentioned in his review(s). Since most of it seemed to be firmware based, regardless of the source of image, it should be possible.

Update: Wild guess: 14FPS is for a 1.3X crop mode and 20FPS is for a 1.6X crop mode. Both of these numbers bring the pixels/second rate below the 1DX3.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The M6II is doing 32 MP at 14 fps. At base ISO, that is more or less 32 MB x 14 = 448 MB/sec. At higher ISO, that is ~50 MP x 14 fps = 700 MB/sec

The 1DX II is 20 MB x 20 fps = 400 MB/Sec and ~35 MB x 20 fps = 700 MB/sec. So, the 1DX III is performing at about the same clip as the M6 II.

CF Express cards (which I am very excited about) are 1 to 4 GB/sec. So, the 1DX III for stills isn't even challenging the CF Express card.

This rumor (for stills): 12 x 40 MB = 480 MB/sec up to 14 x say 60 MB (high ISO) = 840 MB/sec. I avoided the 20 fps rumored for, assuming, liveview as I wonder if that will be crippled somehow.

My point is simple, 12 to 14 fps for a 40-45 MB sensor is throughput Canon is already doing with the M6II, 1DX III and is less than a CF Express card.

I find the stills specs plausible. And if Canon wants to make a splash with the R, smart on their behalf.

The video specs....technically, 8K @ 30 fps is ~1 GB/sec (base ISO), so that is what a CF Express card could do. I just so not see why they would do this. That strikes me more of a spec I would expect on a C500.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I can't see any benefit 40 odd MP and surely would want to go medium format above that mark. Medium format cameras aren't going much above the 1D bodies now.

I was unaware that a modern medium format system had dozens of professional optical instruments priced between $1-2k that tap the full AF functionality of that platform.

As this industry has always shown:
  • Not everyone who wants detail has the patience, budget or predilection to shoot MF over FF.
  • MF cannot remotely touch all the bases that an FF system conveniently can: portability, affordability, reach, and AF in particular.
  • Folks seems to buy FF glass and stay in that ecosystem.
I'm not opposed to MF. But MF needs a far far far stronger value proposition than resolution, bit depth, and leaf shutters. FF can simply do more for less money.

- A

Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
If it would have say 6k30p instead of 8k30p RAW, it would have got me thinking... But hey, even the 1dx mkIII can't output this so why should Canon release something like this? Of course if this is close to truth, they would destroy all comptetition, but doing so they would also destroy their own 1dx MkIII, except for those who absolutely need the extra speed and buffer.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The longest you can expose for with a 35mm lens on FF without seeing a star trail is 14.3s. Using the 1/f rule, 8 stops of IS will give 256/35s for handholding, which is 7.3s. So, that's just about perfect for hand-held astrophotography!
Actually there will be startrail much sooner. The 500 rule does not apply for high mpixel camers. It doesn't even apply for 30mpixel (5DIV) if we are going to check at pixel level. I was using 14mm lens and I could see startrail at 25sec (even at 20 sec if I pixel peeped).

I cannot think of using any kind of stabilizer without any tripod but I believe you were aware of all these and were half joking and "playing" with numbers anyway :)

EDIT: I believe there is camera that uses IBIS to help with astrophotography. That would be a nice feature (using sidereal and half-sidereal tracking maybe).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
To print a full size photo on a Canon PRO-4000 (44"x66") at 300ppi, you would need a 261 megapixel image. Now, granted that's not realistic, but 300ppi is generally the gold stand for printing resolution.

A 45mp sensor only gives you an anemic 51ppi when printing that large. So yes, when printing large there is a legitimate reason for having those high resolutions.

Now granted, before people jump all over me with the "but the images still look fine when viewing from a normal distance" argument, yes, I admit that they do look ok. I have printed an uncropped image from my 5DIV at 44"x66", and it does look ok at a normal distance. But really, it's a little lackluster. If you were printing a photo of a city skyline or something with a lot of detail, it would be really neat to be able to get up close and see the small details, but you can't when the initial photo was only 30mp, or even 45mp.
If 45mp cann't do it 50 can't too. So what were you doing with 5DsR. You need the new MF cameras. Which makes us wonder how other people did without them a few years ago.

Upvote 0
I don't care about super-high res, but I'd give my kingdom for a thumbwheel! Rented the R a couple of times and really enjoyed it (and LOVED that magical 24-70 F2!!), but the touch bar/lack of thumbwheel was a real dealbreaker for me. I want to replace my 5d3 and am hoping to go mirrorless with my next upgrade, but Need.That.Thumbwheel.!! Rebel handling in a high end camera doesn't cut it for professional use.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The M6II is doing 32 MP at 14 fps. At base ISO, that is more or less 32 MB x 14 = 448 MB/sec. At higher ISO, that is ~50 MP x 14 fps = 700 MB/sec

The 1DX II is 20 MB x 20 fps = 400 MB/Sec and ~35 MB x 20 fps = 700 MB/sec. So, the 1DX III is performing at about the same clip as the M6 II.
This rumor (for stills): 12 x 40 MB = 480 MB/sec up to 14 x say 60 MB (high ISO) = 840 MB/sec. I avoided the 20 fps rumored for, assuming, liveview as I wonder if that will be crippled somehow.

My point is simple, 12 to 14 fps for a 40-45 MB sensor is throughput Canon is already doing with the M6II, 1DX III and is less than a CF Express card.

I find the stills specs plausible.

45 x 20 is not plausible in the next 12 months, full stop.

45 x 14 is plausible (42x12, 60x10 cameras exist today), but it makes no sense for Canon to do:
  • It's a cosmic leap forward for the 5D# line.
  • It's a resolution setback from 2015 for the 5DS line.
  • It still somewhat dunks on the 1DX3 (IBIS, video, stills detail without limting the fps too badly), so all price point logic goes to hell.
It just doesn't add up unless Canon is panicking and doesn't mind angering all the folks who recently got in on a new body. That's not how they operate.

- A

Upvote 0