Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It would make more sense for it to be a "R5" (where the "5" suggests it is a successor to the 5DIV) than for it to be "RS," which would suggest a lower resolution successor to the 5DsR... which would make no sense at all.

To print a full size photo on a Canon PRO-4000 (44"x66") at 300ppi, you would need a 261 megapixel image. Now, granted that's not realistic, but 300ppi is generally the gold stand for printing resolution.

A 45mp sensor only gives you an anemic 51ppi when printing that large. So yes, when printing large there is a legitimate reason for having those high resolutions. (Edit, ok, my math was wrong, but it's only about 150ppi.)

Now granted, before people jump all over me with the "but the images still look fine when viewing from a normal distance" argument, yes, I admit that they do look ok. I have printed an uncropped image from my 5DIV at 44"x66", and it does look ok at a normal distance. But really, it's a little lackluster. If you were printing a photo of a city skyline or something with a lot of detail, it would be really neat to be able to get up close and see the small details, but you can't when the initial photo was only 30mp, or even 45mp.

Interesting if true and will be worthy replacement for both 5DS cameras.

Interesting that this suggests the resolution doesn't even match the 5DS. So perhaps this means that Canon doesn't consider this to be a successor to the 5DS, but rather its own thing entirely? These specs seem more like a 5DIV successor than anything, but as has been said in other threads, it's very possible Canon is not adhering to the same niches of camera lines as they have in the past.

Anyway, give me high ISO performance that meets, or hopefully exceeds, the performance of the 5D4 and EOS R at this higher resolution, and I'm happy.

If it has two card slots as well, a replacement for both the 5DS and 5D MKIV ??

Canon did admit they were late to offer 4K so maybe 8K@30 is accurate but not RAW capture. If the sensor is only 40mp this is not the 5Ds replacement. Sony is up to 61mp already and Canon usually leapfrogs the competition in mp when they take this long to respond.

Article mentions one source says EOS R5 and with these stills specs I believe this is more a mirrorless replacement for the EOS 5DIV than a high resolution EOS Rs camera that has been talked about so much.

40-45MP does not sound high resoltion to me considering the last Canon S camera was 50MP (especially if its 40MP). A standard R is 30MP so Canons high resolution R would would only have 10MP more MP is hard to believe. I don't think you would even notice 10MP more resolution.

I'm hoping for 60+ MP so double the current camera.

To me, this sounds like a conglomeration of the 5DS/r and 5DIV. I feel like that megapixel count will disappoint people wanting a 5DS/r replacement though. Personally, based on the photographic specs alone, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I was disappointed with the 1DXiii from a photography specs standpoint (I get why the video people were elated though), so I'd shell out the cash for this instead, if these specs come to fruition.

Oh, I do hope it isn't a 5Ds followup...

All those FPS and video specs are for 5D users (as well as being somewhat 'optimistic')

I thought the Rs would be the high MP model? with around 80MPs?

Like many said... to good to be true! THIS would be INSANE! and also a cashcow! :)...would instantly sell my 5DIV & RP :D

Sounds like CR0, as the 1DX3 represents the state of the art for Canon at 20.1MP x 20 FPS. The best you should get from the R5 is 9FPS at 45MP using the same technology, at half(ish) the price. Why would one expect higher throughput than the 1DX3?

I would rather have MP and/or DR than FPS. I have held off switching to Sony by the RS. If it is 45MP and not 75MP, I will switch to Sony, as all my lenses are EF, and I will replace them either way.

I like 45 Mpx much more than the rumored 70 Mpx. It has better balance between efforts in post and details for my photograph, and I am sure most people don't need that much high res (unless you are Tony and need to future-proof your family photos).

The rest of the specs are hard to believe (Background voice: What do you mean canon innovated??), but even if 75% is true it is still a phenomenal camera. I think I'm a buyer.

This camera's fps is too quick and the MP count being lower than the 5D S makes me think that this is more of 5D mirrorless equivalent, than a 5D S mirrorless equivalent.

I remember just a couple months ago the specifications for this model were even better. By the time it finally comes out it might be much different yet.

Do these specs, seem more like an R2, than the RS? Maybe we get both?

This isn't going to be an Rs, as in a 5Ds replacement. (It's the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R, not the 5DS and 5DSr!)

Either:

It's going to be an RS, as in an α7S direct competitor.

OR

It's going to be an R5, as in the first RF "5-series" body.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Sure, but a $6,000 super camera is not a replacement for a 7D.

Build some rocket ship with an FF shutter, FF DPAF, metering, etc. only to have some users lock it in crop turbo-mode for its entire usage? I just don't see it. At least not at a 7D price point. I could see it as a nice option for those parting with a lot more money for the second coming of the 1DS line.

- A

More like the second coming of the 1D (APS-H) line.

States "Scroll Wheel" added but no mention of joy stick for moving AF point. Not really a fan of the swiping a finger across the screen to move the AF point.
Also new battery??? Does that mean I'll have to ditch my stock of LP-E6 that I've built up for another expensive battery?

I read that as "higher capacity LP-E6 compatible" battery, similar to the LP-E19 (1D X Mark II) that is cross compatible with the LP-E4 (1D X and several latter 1D models).

Disagree. Not everyone slinging around a 1-series camera is some ball turret gunning sports sideline photog or Nat Geo wildlifer who needs a built-for-war ruggedized instrument.

Some are reach obsessed birders. 45x20 would open up all kinds of cropportunities for them.

Some are the younger crowd who just want crazy throughput even if it's not 1-series indestructible.

Some get one because it's the most affordable higher end Canon video rig they can build, but they would welcome a smaller offering or one with a tilty-flippy.

Some are reportage folks, who don't need or want a big conspicuous instrument to cover (say) city events or local politics.

We don't know the price of this unicorn of a camera, or if it will ever happen. But if it does happen, [45 x 20] + IBIS + [heretofore-unheard-of video specs] will ab-so-lutely steal some degree of 1DX3 business.

- A

Every PJ (reportage) I know pulls the memory card out (so they'll have it in their pocket when they get in the car and fire up their laptop/tablet) and throws everything else loose in the trunk of their car and drives away. Some of them use the hard cases for the Super Telephotos, but I've never seen any of them put a body in a case/backpack unless they're about to get on a commercial airline. They, as much as anyone, need the built-for-war ruggedized cameras.

Here are more plausi

A 40-45mpixel competitor of a 12Mpixel camera???????

Well Canon reps have been spreading rumors for months that SOMETHING BIG is about to happen.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This isn't going to be an Rs, as in a 5Ds replacement. (It's the Canon EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R, not the 5DS and 5DSr!)

Either:

It's going to be an RS, as in an α7S direct competitor.

OR

It's going to be an R5, as in the first RF "5-series" body.

I think you missed replying to all the posts on page 9 ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I was going to buy the 5DSR last year when the rumors of the 80MP RS came out, and was now looking forward to something new to spark my photography drive. Having used Canon SLRs since 1976, but having the issues with the 1D4 help end my sports photography carrer,
I was okay with losing the mirror box. I wanted just two things, MP and DR. I want to do repro work of my 6x7 catalog. I want to do more landscape work. I want to do some Astrophotography, and some 4k video when it makes sense. Maybe a little lighter kit as well.

The RS fit the bill for all of these needs. At 45mp, I will be hard pressed to spend $3,500+ on it, when I can get more MP from the 5DSR at a much lower street price (albeit grey market). Other then an awesome new macro lens (maybe), I can't think of anything the R5 would offer that I would spend $2k more for (not even including the cost of an RF macro).

I see the attraction to the rumored body, but this is not what I (and I am sure many others) have been waiting almost 6 months for!

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I remember just a couple months ago the specifications for this model were even better. By the time it finally comes out it might be much different yet.

Other than the high res sensor, how is that a better set of specs? Just a few features and no real specs. The latest one is a lot more detailed and I would say much better. The 75-80 MP will be a similar but different model.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Craig and I talked about this rumor quite a bit before he posted, we started talking the night before, and more in the morning. Frankly, I don't think it's possible simply because of one thing I don't see mentioned anywhere in the comments (pardon me if someone did, because I didn't look at EVERY page lol) .. is battery life.

The 1DX Mark III sucks a lot of juice to get up to 600 shots in "mirrorless" mode - and this will have 2x the processing rates as the 1DX Mark III, with a smaller battery.

Even if this thing had a LP-E19 (which it obviously does not have) then I'd expect it to roll in with 300 shots. Doable perhaps. but with a small form factor battery like the LP-E6? not a chance. want to change batteries every 180 shots? anyone?

Also .. some have mentioned the M6 Mark II rates. It's much easier to get a smaller sensor to work faster, than it is a bigger sensor.
Consider our CPU's .. they have gotten faster and less power hungry, by also getting smaller. Sensors can't shrink in size, so it's alot more difficult to simply "make it so" with a larger sensor. Using more power in a sensor is bad. Regardless of that, this baby would have to process image data for both stills and video at 2.25x the rate - and if we include the data pig that is called DPAF - we're talking over 4x or more the data rates. video would be the same process rates even for 4K because of downsampling. Then we have the fact that it would mean that the 1DX Mark III got a massive cripple hammer. before it's even started to ship. ouch.

I'd like it to be so, just to sit back and watch dpreview implode, but alas, i think this one is wishful fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I highly doubt that this rumored model will be a replacement for the 5sr. It is 5-10 MP less than the 50 MP that model has and it has been many years since the 5sr was released.

I think that if it has 40mp it might be a R Mk II. That would be 10mp more and would really advance that model.

I guess we will find out in a few months or less.

Upvote 0
Even if this thing had a LP-E19 (which it obviously does not have) then I'd expect it to roll in with 300 shots. Doable perhaps. but with a small form factor battery like the LP-E6? not a chance. want to change batteries every 180 shots? anyone?

EOS R is said to last for about 370 shots on one battery which roughly matches and even exceeds 5DIV performance in LiveView. Why would an RS only last 180? It'll probably take more power to read from the higher-res sensor, but the CPU is going to be more advanced.

From this rumour, the stills specs look feasible but not very plausible (as Canon wouldn't deliver such a speedy beast), video specs look neither feasible nor plausible, battery life looks concerning.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The funny thing is, these specs don't even interest me.

• 45mp (One source said 40mp) – Sounds good, but I'm more interested in how the sensor performs at ISO 1600 to 6400
  • IBIS
    • 5 stops with IBIS alone
    • 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization - I'm pretty much uninterested in IBIS, and I really don't care about 7-8 stops of correction as most of my subjects are alive. Which means they move.
  • 14fps / 20fps (One source said 12fps / 20fps) - FPS is only of use if the autofocus system is up to it. Despite the firmware improvement, the R autofocus is still far from being able to take advantage of 12 fps. I sound like a broken record, but my opinion is that Canon is still a ways away from getting the autofocus of the R series to the point where it can compete with DSLRs for action.
  • Scroll wheel added to the back - Mildly interesting, but I doubt it would be as useful as the current touch sensitive screen already is. It all depends too on what they use the scroll wheel for.
  • No touchbar - No surprise. Canon gets credit for trying, but this idea wasn't ready for prime time anyway. This is interesting only if they replace it with something that makes focusing more intuitive.
  • Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs - I seldom use video, but the dedicated button on the R is actually one of its good features. Don't know why Canon would take a step back.
  • Larger capacity battery, but looks like the LP-E6 - I doubt if they can squeeze double the life out of a new battery, so I'll just keep my R grip thank you.
  • 8K @ 30fps RAW - Just me, but I don't care about video.
  • 4K @ 120fps
  • 4K @ 60fps
  • The info I was given about a crop was confusing - I didn't articulate this very well earlier, but the R crop mode is actually something that I find intriguing. If the mp get up to 40-45, the crop mode could actually be handy when you are distance limited.
  • Announcement ahead of CP+ next month - Yay! this is the only thing that excites me. Let's stop with the crazy specs already and move on to something real. PLEASE!
Just me, but as I look at these specs, I'm thinking there is nothing here that I want so badly that I would trade in my R for this upgrade.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
EOS R is said to last for about 370 shots on one battery which roughly matches and even exceeds 5DIV performance in LiveView.

yes, but that's DIGIC 6+ to 8. 1DX Mark III is already using Canon's latest processor: DIGIC X.

Why would an RS only last 180? It'll probably take more power to read from the higher-res sensor, but the CPU is going to be more advanced.

From this rumour, the stills specs look feasible but not very plausible (as Canon wouldn't deliver such a speedy beast), video specs look neither feasible nor plausible, battery life looks concerning.

1DX Mark III - 600 shots CIPA with LP-E19 battery, with Canon's new DIGIC X.
Fabled camera - shoots at double the processing, so let's assume around double the power consumed. 300 shots using a LP-E19.
fabled camera - uses something similar to a LP-E6N - let's assume it's something similar to the new sony battery that's around 1/2 the power of the LP-E19. so around 150-200 shots.

of course it's not an exact science. but there is a strong correlation to how hard the processors and the power consumed.

we also didn't even touch on heat - this body will run around twice as hot as well. It will need a coffee mug RF adapter

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Craig and I talked about this rumor quite a bit before he posted, we started talking the night before, and more in the morning. Frankly, I don't think it's possible simply because of one thing I don't see mentioned anywhere in the comments (pardon me if someone did, because I didn't look at EVERY page lol) .. is battery life.

The 1DX Mark III sucks a lot of juice to get up to 600 shots in "mirrorless" mode - and this will have 2x the processing rates as the 1DX Mark III, with a smaller battery.

Also .. some have mentioned the M6 Mark II rates. It's much easier to get a smaller sensor to work faster, than it is a bigger sensor.
Consider our CPU's .. they have gotten faster and less power hungry, by also getting smaller. Sensors can't shrink in size, so it's alot more difficult to simply "make it so" with a larger sensor. Using more power in a sensor is bad. Regardless of that, this baby would have to process image data for both stills and video at 2.25x the rate - and if we include the data pig that is called DPAF - we're talking over 4x or more the data rates. video would be the same process rates even for 4K because of downsampling. Then we have the fact that it would mean that the 1DX Mark III got a massive cripple hammer. before it's even started to ship. ouch.

I'd like it to be so, just to sit back and watch dpreview implode, but alas, i think this one is wishful fantasy.

I don't think there is any way that I believe the video spec, but I do see the stills photo spec as a possibility @12fps. I acknowledge that DPAF has a significant computation requirement, but how is it that Sony can get 10fps from a 42 MPx on the A7R III. I would think with the improvement in general technology and Digic X that this would be possible for Canon. Have never used the the A7R II, so I don't know if this is a real spec.

From the spec sheet of the A7R III on B&H.
Up to 10 fps at 42.4 MP for up to 76 Exposures (Raw)
Up to 8 fps at 42.4 MP for up to 76 Exposures (Raw)
Up to 6 fps at 42.4 MP for up to 76 Exposures (Raw)

Upvote 0
Fabled camera - shoots at double the processing

Hmm why compare to 1DXIII when R is a closer example, probably the new camera will be of a similar build/electronics but with DIGIC X CPU which is supposedly more efficient.
Compared to the R, going from 30 to 45 Mp takes ~1.5 more power so the expected number of shots would go from 370 to ~250, but more efficient CPU should help to get more.
However I doubt all power goes to processing megapixels. There's shutter, there's EVF/LCD illumination, there's AF, there are IS motors. All that power consumption doesn't depend on the megapixel count.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0