Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm a bit confused currently regarding the 1DX III. According to the spec on the German Canon page and DPReview the 1DX shoots at 5496*2904 at 60 FPS in RAW video!? I had thought it was only 30p, or am I missing something?

The rumored specs for this body are 8K raw at 30 FPS, where I assume 8K just means roughly 16 times as much as FHD (just as 4K usually means UHD and that's 4 times as much resolution as FHD) So, doing the math:

5496*2904*60 / (16*1920*1080*30) = 0.96

The actual throughput would be almost the same as the 1DX III currently handles. In that regard, the other numbers don't seem all that crazy. And the 1DX III isn't really crippled, it just can't do higher resolutions because the sensor is only 20MP. Mind you, this is based on my impression that the 1DX IIi does 5.4K 60p RAW video.

I would assume the 14/20 FPS means 14 in FF mode, 20 in crop mode. Why would it refer to viewfinder and LiveView - those are virtually the same in a mirrorless body. And that's absolutely realistic, as 14*45 = 630, which is 38% more more than the 14*32.5 of the low cost M6 II can do with an older processor and smaller body (worse for dissipating heat).

20 FPS at FF resolution seems to much, unless that's reduced Bitrate and no AF, like the 8K video option would be. But who would want that?

II get the impression that Canon is working on a ton of bodies that are all fairly modular and which configurations are the ones we'll actually see released could be quite different from the rumors. In any case 8'm surprised about the resolution, as previously we heard THAT Canon wants to regain the high MP crown and had talk of 73 and 82 MP sensors... Fun times ahead!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
For the first time on CR I totally skipped all the comments. The powers that be sure like to get us all revved up so that we can natter and complain for weeks afterwards when it's not even close to being factual! I refuse to be drawn into this.;)
As someone has said, sometimes you have to read CR for the humor

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
to support 20 fps will consume far more power than the EOS R's 8 fps. that means the clocking of the sensor has to be faster, then processor has to process the images faster, and so on, even if you dont use the fps, the sensor and processor is going to move data that much more quickly because it has to for when you do engage continuous high speed.

and even if you forget stills performance, consider the video which IS a direct comparison against the 1DX III.

so no, the EOS R is not a good comparison, there's too many factors different.

Hi,

Why does power consumption when you don't shoot bursts have to be so closely correlated with maximum burst speed?

How would you estimate the battery life of a hypthetical 84 MP 1 fps camera?

best regards,

Anders

Upvote 0
According to Mirrorless Rumors, their source claims these specs are ‘nearly completely wrong’. Make of that what you will.

Their source say the sensor will have even lower res than 45Mpix?

Upvote 0
Well....taking a seat and relax and try to manage this info. So, with no scientific approach, we have some huge specs to process. On the stills side, there is nothing much to doubt, 40MP should be a really great spot to most of us, IBIS is a big plus also (although i see this one more as a video plus but good also in stills). I think the camera won´t do much more than 7 to 10 fps, witch is quite good and match the need of almost everyone.
The 1DxII's dual processor from Canon is capable of circa 350mb/s, so that equates to 45mp @ 7.5 fps or there abouts. However, Canon have been developing a newer Dual processor that's 1.5x more powerful. That chip could theoretically handle circa 525mb/s. That could easily yield 45mp @ 11.5 fps.
BUT there's a bigger question of Canon putting such and expensive chip into a mid tier camera body and eclipsing their new 1DxIII.
The Eos Rs is going to be a 2nd tier pro camera (in a similar vein to the the 5DSR) and as such it's not going to upstage their 1Dx range.
From a guess, i would say that 42-45mp is likely. 7-8 fps is likely too. In fact these specs could easily translate over to a 5D4 spec too. A good candidate for a dual release EF and Rf versions of a similar camera body.

Upvote 0
If the new Samsung S20 Ultra smartphone can record 8K then I see no reason it should be impossible for a modern standalone camera to also accomplish this feat.

For starters, the Samsung S20 being able to record 8K is a rumor. Then there's the smaller the sensor, the easier it is to read it quickly. Finally, it might have shallower color depth and/or have chroma sub sampling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't know feels like they mixed up the specs of the new EOS R with a new Cinema camera with RF mount maybe? Or probably just made up specs i mean Olympus said more than 6.5 stops of stabilization is impossible while the first Canon body with ibis has 8 stops?
Seems unlikely, especially in a FF camera. Olympus did say they believed the earth's rotation limited IBIS to 6.5 stops. That was based on the way they did the gyroscope design, and they got 6.5 stops with hybrid IBIS/OIS in the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. But they redesigned the gyros for the E-M1 X and rated that to 7.5 stops with hybrid. No one has matched that in FF, so it seems unlikely Canon would first shot. Then again, they literally had every competitor's camera to take apart and study, and they're probably all happy to license patents for actual money these days. So who knows.

It is very difficult to move back to a non-IBIS camera once you have adapted to it. Canon needs this, for stills and video.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused currently regarding the 1DX III. According to the spec on the German Canon page and DPReview the 1DX shoots at 5496*2904 at 60 FPS in RAW video!? I had thought it was only 30p, or am I missing something?

The rumored specs for this body are 8K raw at 30 FPS, where I assume 8K just means roughly 16 times as much as FHD (just as 4K usually means UHD and that's 4 times as much resolution as FHD) So, doing the math:

5496*2904*60 / (16*1920*1080*30) = 0.96

The actual throughput would be almost the same as the 1DX III currently handles. In that regard, the other numbers don't seem all that crazy. And the 1DX III isn't really crippled, it just can't do higher resolutions because the sensor is only 20MP. Mind you, this is based on my impression that the 1DX IIi does 5.4K 60p RAW video.

I would assume the 14/20 FPS means 14 in FF mode, 20 in crop mode. Why would it refer to viewfinder and LiveView - those are virtually the same in a mirrorless body. And that's absolutely realistic, as 14*45 = 630, which is 38% more more than the 14*32.5 of the low cost M6 II can do with an older processor and smaller body (worse for dissipating heat).

20 FPS at FF resolution seems to much, unless that's reduced Bitrate and no AF, like the 8K video option would be. But who would want that?

II get the impression that Canon is working on a ton of bodies that are all fairly modular and which configurations are the ones we'll actually see released could be quite different from the rumors. In any case 8'm surprised about the resolution, as previously we heard THAT Canon wants to regain the high MP crown and had talk of 73 and 82 MP sensors... Fun times ahead!

According to the white paper,
5.5K RAW video format (5472 x 2886) having the cinema-centric aspect ratio of 17:9. records also at 60 (59.94) fps.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The 1DxII's dual processor from Canon is capable of circa 350mb/s, so that equates to 45mp @ 7.5 fps or there abouts. However, Canon have been developing a newer Dual processor that's 1.5x more powerful. That chip could theoretically handle circa 525mb/s. That could easily yield 45mp @ 11.5 fps.
BUT there's a bigger question of Canon putting such and expensive chip into a mid tier camera body and eclipsing their new 1DxIII.
The Eos Rs is going to be a 2nd tier pro camera (in a similar vein to the the 5DSR) and as such it's not going to upstage their 1Dx range.
From a guess, i would say that 42-45mp is likely. 7-8 fps is likely too. In fact these specs could easily translate over to a 5D4 spec too. A good candidate for a dual release EF and Rf versions of a similar camera body.
Maybe Canon thinks that the key to 1DXIII sales is the OVR/mirror based AF, rugged design, and manageable file outputs, while throughput is more important on the mirrorless side.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it's already been said a million times in here, but this spec sheet doesn't smell right. 8K recording? I've heard the 5.5k from the 1Dx III was demanding enough to edit, but 8k? That must chew up memory cards in moments.

Also, last year Canon showed off 8k footage for the first time, and I really struggle to imagine them deciding that the first commercial implementation would be a mirrorless stills camera. Also, last year Apple showed off the ability of their Mac pro to edit 8k footage, and they were using an unnamed Canon camera to capture that footage - so I'd bet 8k is coming, but it'll be in a cinema camera surely before a stills oriented camera. Also, I believe that was the computer which was customizable up and over like $50k, so again I really struggle to see 8k video having a place for the average user.

Upvote 0
I'm sick and tired of this BS!
How about when a 600mm lens + the 1.4x or 2.x is still not enough???

Particularly when you consider that often times you don't want to be too close to an animal. We want to photograph, not disturb. Or for sports, you can only shoot from certain areas, it's not like you can be in the middle of a play on the field.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
With all the hype,

All I need is a 30 megapixel with dual card slots. And 1080p with 120fps. 10bit 8:2:2. Lol.

You know, it's funny, with all the hype around video specs on the last few releases...I don't think what photographers are asking for is too outlandish. Yet Canon hasn't seemed to particularly listen to that.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

"I asked to my long time Canon sources and they said those specs are nearly completely wrong. They cannot tell me the real specs because they don’t want to get busted. All they can say is that it’s simply off :( The sensor for example will have a lower resolution than mentioned in this spec list. And there will be no 8K recording! "
Maybe those sources are talking about the EOS RP- camera, not about EOS R5? ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0