Canon EOS System Celebrates 30th Anniversary

Nov 4, 2011
would be excellent timing and opportunity to (finally) launch a spectacular "EOS 1X" mirrorless FF-sensored cam - clearly exceeding 1Dx2 capabilities on all counts including AF system - of course with a new native (short flange distance) EF-X mount ... with dimensions and specs as carefully and wisely chosen and therefore as future-proof as the original EF mount back in 1987. would help in getting maximum attention and marketing fanfare! might also help Canon to survive the next 30 years. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
jeffa4444 said:
They lead a falling market, overall they too have seen falls in volume & profitability and innovation sometime radical is the only way to reverse a trend. As the trend shows currently DSLR sales are heading below peak SLR sales that's definitely not progress.

Well, that sounds so easy, I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. ::)
I'm not implying its easy I know its not. They have one the largest new patent portfolios, R&D dollars well beyond most companies the fact is much of the new innovation is coming from start-ups (hence why companies like Apple & Google snap them up) but as Canon recently demonstrated with the 5D MKIV incremental advances that come at a steep price are not turn-ons to consumers with many options.
Apple have invested heavily in its camera team and two former colleagues that are experts in their field were employed to push the envelope maybe Canon needs to look outside of Japan.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jeffa4444 said:
...as Canon recently demonstrated with the 5D MKIV incremental advances that come at a steep price are not turn-ons to consumers with many options...

How have they demonstrated that? By introducing a camera that is now Amazon's best selling full frame DSLR? Sounds like there are plenty of consumers "turned on" by the 5D IV.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
jeffa4444 said:
...as Canon recently demonstrated with the 5D MKIV incremental advances that come at a steep price are not turn-ons to consumers with many options...

How have they demonstrated that? By introducing a camera that is now Amazon's best selling full frame DSLR? Sounds like there are plenty of consumers "turned on" by the 5D IV.

You were expecting people to believe actual, verifiable fact over their own ill-informed opinion? Here, of all places? ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jeffa4444 said:
Perhaps you need to go and read Canon Qtr 3 2016 financial statements.

I have. Have you? If you answer yes, then you clearly need remedial education in reading comprehension.

http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2016/rslt2016q3e.pdf

[quote author=Canon 3Q 2016 Results]
Within the Imaging System Business Unit, sales volume for interchangeable-lens digital cameras grew compared with same period of the previous year owing to healthy demand for the advanced-amateur-model EOS 80D and EOS 5D Mark IV digital SLR cameras...
[/quote]

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
jeffa4444 said:
Apple have invested heavily in its camera team and two former colleagues that are experts in their field were employed to push the envelope maybe Canon needs to look outside of Japan.

An Apple camera?

I can just imagine...

It'll have rounded corners :)

It'll require some version of iOS that when updated, bricks it forcing you to buy another one... if there's enough memory left to do the update :)

No SD or CF card, only one proprietary port. It'll be offered with 3 memory choices at an outrageous premium.

Non-removable battery.

Only one fixed lens option will be available.

It'll probably retail for more than a Canon 5D IV

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
bokehmon22 said:
If Canon gave us a camera with all the features we asked for just like what Panasonic did for the GH5, it would definitely make alot of people upgrade their camera. Their latest cameras isn't worth the price for incremental upgrades.

so you want canon to follow panasonic's lead who's marketshare has been declining hard and fast since they decided to roll with the video centric route?

makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
you mean no second lens for my 12 y.o. son to take selfies and video chat? You have got to be kidding me? :)

danski0224 said:
jeffa4444 said:

An Apple camera?

I can just imagine...

It'll require some version of iOS that when updated, bricks it forcing you to buy another one... if there's enough memory left to do the update :)

No SD or CF card, only one proprietary port. It'll be offered with 3 memory choices at an outrageous premium.

Non-removable battery.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi jeffa.
This is so funny. ;D
You forgot, the first version would come without a shutter button, press the home and power button to capture the screen, the second version would get the shutter button but still not have it connected to the AF system, version 3 would have the AF linked to the shutter button but still not have..... pick your feature, you get the idea! ::)
Anyone remember the original iPhone and all the features it didn't have compared to pretty much every other phone?
Anyone remember what they gave you to entice you to upgrade?

Cheers, Graham.

danski0224 said:
jeffa4444 said:

An Apple camera?

I can just imagine...

Non-removable battery.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Valvebounce said:
Hi jeffa.
This is so funny. ;D
You forgot, the first version would come without a shutter button, press the home and power button to capture the screen, the second version would get the shutter button but still not have it connected to the AF system, version 3 would have the AF linked to the shutter button but still not have..... pick your feature, you get the idea! ::)
Anyone remember the original iPhone and all the features it didn't have compared to pretty much every other phone?
Anyone remember what they gave you to entice you to upgrade?

Cheers, Graham.

danski0224 said:
jeffa4444 said:

An Apple camera?

I can just imagine...

Non-removable battery.

And don't forget....
You won't be able to insert a SD card to expand its memory. This will leave you 8GB - or 16GB if you pay a fortune for the upgrade.
It will only let you process using Apple apps as enormous expense
When you plug the camera in to download your photos it will insist on telling you which software and which printers you are allowed to use and no matter how many times you think you disable this, it happens every time
When you die and bequeath your photo collection to your family it is then that you find out you don't actually own the photos but are merely renting them from Apple.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mikehit said:
When you plug the camera in to download your photos it will insist on telling you which software and which printers you are allowed to use and no matter how many times you think you disable this, it happens every time

Plug it in? Oh, pulllleeeeze. It won't have anything so last century as a corded connection. Bluetooth and WiFi only!

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
gmon750 said:
ExodistPhotography said:
jeffa4444 said:
They lead a falling market, overall they too have seen falls in volume & profitability and innovation sometime radical is the only way to reverse a trend. As the trend shows currently DSLR sales are heading below peak SLR sales that's definitely not progress.

They just want good easy photos..

They could do all that (and more) but the reality is that the average-joe consumer is not going to buy a bigger, bulkier, and much-more-expensive camera when their iPhone does just fine. I have zero problem that Canon is focusing on the enthusiast-professional market since those are the folks that will spend the money instead of trying to entice consumers that are tighter with their wallets.

This discussion reminded me of an article I saw a number of years ago looking at camera production over a period of 60 to 70 years: https://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/chart-shows-badly-digital-camera-sales-getting-hammered-smartphones/

There does seem to be some credibility in the argument that the growth in camera sales in the early 2000s was a spike. The data in the article only does to 2014, but there is certainly a view that camera production could be falling back to the pre-2000 trend (give or take a couple of anomalies).
Aside from the fact that most people are not interested in cameras, those of us who really interested in cameras are possibly not replacing them as quickly anymore as we were in the early 2000s (the technology has matured).

Upvote 0