Canon Explains Canon Log on the EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Newsshooter has done a short piece at NAB 2017 about the C-Log update for the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. Canon says they have added C-Log to the camera so you can have a smaller tool on set that will match up well with the other Canon cameras you may be using for your project.</p>
<p>Canon claims 12 stops of dynamic range at ISO 400.</p>
<p>This update should be available some time in July for $99 USD.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 5D Mark IV</strong><strong>:</strong> <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274705-REG/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/2bk6MtW">Amazon</a> | <a href="http://bit.ly/2bkM0ze">Canon Store</a> | <a href="http://mpex.com/canon-5d-mark-iv-dslr-camera-body-only.html?acc=3">Midwest Photo</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
leGreve said:
I can't figure out... does it do anything different than any 3rd party plug in / lut would do. It's not real latitude... isn't it more like a reversed s curve? Time will tell how well it holds up in post before falling apart.

Yes C-Log offers more dynamic range then say Technicolors CineStyle picture profile. Becuase its doing more then just adjusting the s-curve. That said, myself personally will just continue using CineStyle. Its free and I am very seldom in a position that the sky is blown out in a way I can not just add a CPL or lower the exposure and bring up the lows in post.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
kingrobertii said:
I am trying to figure out why the professional who is displaying the new product is shooting with poor settings?
125 frame rate, ISO 1600 at 23.98p? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Either way, I am excited to get this update!

1/125th shutter speed is recommend for 60FPS, why they have it at 24fps is indeed questionable. Someone prob has just been screwing with the settings. But ISO1600 for video is clean for FF cameras.. ISO1600 is the max I would go on my 80D for quality work. But FF it should be about the same as 800 which is clean enough on the 80D.

Upvote 0
ExodistPhotography said:
kingrobertii said:
I am trying to figure out why the professional who is displaying the new product is shooting with poor settings?
125 frame rate, ISO 1600 at 23.98p? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Either way, I am excited to get this update!

1/125th shutter speed is recommend for 60FPS, why they have it at 24fps is indeed questionable. Someone prob has just been screwing with the settings. But ISO1600 for video is clean for FF cameras.. ISO1600 is the max I would go on my 80D for quality work. But FF it should be about the same as 800 which is clean enough on the 80D.

Yeah I shoot video professionally so I understand. Also, I shoot video on a 5D IV and have had extremely good results at ISO 1600 and higher. I was just pointing out that for a professional setting such as NAB, you would think they would want that ISO closer to what is recommended for best performance on the camera (ISO 400). So lowering the shutter speed would get you closer to ballpark.

Upvote 0
EddieNM said:
Interesting his choice of words, he said the firmware is still being worked out and when it is ready we will let you guys know. He never mentioned anything about a hardware upgrade just firmware.

They probably have had the hardware figure out before they announced the update. Maybe the firmware is the last piece that is still being tweaked/tested

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
leGreve said:
I can't figure out... does it do anything different than any 3rd party plug in / lut would do. It's not real latitude... isn't it more like a reversed s curve? Time will tell how well it holds up in post before falling apart.

Potentially it is very different. Third party plugins are effectively applying their curve to the compressed data, C-Log should be being applied to the RAW data, that is the real difference between true Log and third party 'profiles'.

Upvote 0
Matt Williams said:
It’s hugely insulting that Canon has brought this to the 5D4 and not the 1DX MkII. Canon clearly realise the importance of CLog to professional users, and so to not offer it on their flagship pro DSLR when they have proven it is possible, is contemptible.

the outrage for the lack of an update for the 1DX2 is (slowly) growing... really wonder when the 1DC will stop being sold as a product. I'd figure as soon as that happens, the CLOG update for the 1DX2 will suddenly be realized and offered.

Upvote 0
Hi,
EddieNM said:
Interesting his choice of words, he said the firmware is still being worked out and when it is ready we will let you guys know. He never mentioned anything about a hardware upgrade just firmware.
There is no hardware upgrade... only a firmware update, but seem that this firmware can only be updated using a service tool in Canon.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
weixing said:
Hi,
EddieNM said:
There is no hardware upgrade... only a firmware update, but seem that this firmware can only be updated using a service tool in Canon.

Have a nice day.

Everything with C-LOG in the past has been this way, Canon's way of keeping Magic Lantern style reverse engineering and hacking away from the Cinema line. Previous rumors/reports of legal threats if the Magic Lantern team touched the 1DC/C100/C300/etc.

My understanding is that as soon as the complete firmware is available for download, the reverse engineering is MUCH easier to accomplish and load. Would assume any firmware updates would not have the complete loader.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Matt Williams said:
It’s hugely insulting that Canon has brought this to the 5D4 and not the 1DX MkII. Canon clearly realise the importance of CLog to professional users, and so to not offer it on their flagship pro DSLR when they have proven it is possible, is contemptible.
Not surprising, look at Sony(which also has been bitten by Canon bug off late) A9 even that camera doesnt offer Log feature while lower A7 series have S-Log.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I thought CLog was a type of wooden shoe from The Netherlands. Why are Canon trying to add it to my 5DIV?
Seriously though what is CLog and how does it make a difference?.
In film making is it all about post processing as opposed to getting it right in camera?
I'm not a film maker so it's a bit alien to me but wouldn't you be better off focusing on a better film idea, script and cast rather than CLog
I probably don't appreciate the finer details in film but HD looks pretty good to me and I struggle to a huge improvement in 4K. I'm just wonder if videographers are sometimes focused on the wrong thing (the gear rather than the content) like many photographers are.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
ExodistPhotography said:
leGreve said:

Yes C-Log offers more dynamic range then say Technicolors CineStyle picture profile. Becuase its doing more then just adjusting the s-curve. That said, myself personally will just continue using CineStyle. Its free and I am very seldom in a position that the sky is blown out in a way I can not just add a CPL or lower the exposure and bring up the lows in post.
maybe to uuuhhhhhh match the c100 and c300 and c500 and c700........................

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
bsbeamer said:
Matt Williams said:

the outrage for the lack of an update for the 1DX2 is (slowly) growing... really wonder when the 1DC will stop being sold as a product. I'd figure as soon as that happens, the CLOG update for the 1DX2 will suddenly be realized and offered.

1DCII gets released before IDXII gets CLOG; that's my guess on what they are thinking... May change, who knows..

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
TeT said:
bsbeamer said:
Matt Williams said:

1DCII gets released before IDXII gets CLOG; that's my guess on what they are thinking... May change, who knows..
Seeing how Sony was brave enough not put S log on the a9. It reaffirms canon's potion that a sports camera is a sports camera and is made for stills primarily. Why did they add all the video features and 4k 60p. God only knows....

Upvote 0
Not bringing CLOG to the 1DX2 when they've shown it is possible and they're willing to do so with the 5D4 is very frustrating though. I own a C300 MkII which I spent a great deal of money on, and I currently use a 1DX2 as a B camera for interviews etc. I actually also own a 5D4 as well (which I currently mainly use for photography), but with them only offering CLOG on the 5D4 I'm in a position where I either shoot on the 5D4 in CLOG (which will match to my C300II) but with the horrible cropped sensor, or I shoot on the 1DX2 which whilst it doesn't have the horrible crop, doesn't have CLOG!

I'm really not sure what they are thinking by not bringing CLOG to the 1DXII - I know a number of professionals in my position who own the C300II and have a 1DX2 as a B camera, and for whom having CLOG on the 1DX2 would be a huge benefit. Canon have said the reason they've added CLOG to the 5D4 is because they understand that some people will want to have a smaller B camera that matches their main Canon camera when shooting in CLOG. Well I'd have thought most professionals who have one of their cinema cameras will most likely have the 1DX2 as their B camera (rather than the 5D4) - so if they appreciate the importance of CLOG for professionals, and they appreciate the importance of being able to shoot CLOG on a B camera, then why not add it to the 1DX2? It just doesn't make sense to me and I think is very disrespectful of Canon to people who have invested very heavily in their top of the line products.

Upvote 0
Matt Williams said:
Not bringing CLOG to the 1DX2 when they've shown it is possible and they're willing to do so with the 5D4 is very frustrating though. I own a C300 MkII which I spent a great deal of money on, and I currently use a 1DX2 as a B camera for interviews etc. I actually also own a 5D4 as well (which I currently mainly use for photography), but with them only offering CLOG on the 5D4 I'm in a position where I either shoot on the 5D4 in CLOG (which will match to my C300II) but with the horrible cropped sensor, or I shoot on the 1DX2 which whilst it doesn't have the horrible crop, doesn't have CLOG!

I'm really not sure what they are thinking by not bringing CLOG to the 1DXII - I know a number of professionals in my position who own the C300II and have a 1DX2 as a B camera, and for whom having CLOG on the 1DX2 would be a huge benefit. Canon have said the reason they've added CLOG to the 5D4 is because they understand that some people will want to have a smaller B camera that matches their main Canon camera when shooting in CLOG. Well I'd have thought most professionals who have one of their cinema cameras will most likely have the 1DX2 as their B camera (rather than the 5D4) - so if they appreciate the importance of CLOG for professionals, and they appreciate the importance of being able to shoot CLOG on a B camera, then why not add it to the 1DX2? It just doesn't make sense to me and I think is very disrespectful of Canon to people who have invested very heavily in their top of the line products.

The crop really isn't that bad though. If you absolutely NEED that super wide shot, use your C300 or IDX. It sounds like you have plenty to work with. I am sure it is frustrating, but with that much camera power, I would imagine you could find a way to make it work...

Upvote 0