Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 (Ed Mika Conversion)

Jul 19, 2011
I have noticed the same issue but haven't tested it to see if I'm getting back or forward focusing relative to the AF confirmation. I'm not a huge fan of live view, so I tend to spend a moment rocking the focus back and forth while looking thru the viewfinder and have gotten better at getting the focus right. But it is still difficult when shooting wide open.

This is why I'm thinking about replacing the focusing screen with an after-market split prism screen like the Katzeye. The focusing screen on the 7D will only show DOF to about f/4.

Upvote 0
D

dadgummit

savale said:
Fine lens as far as I can see. Not that impressed though. Were any of the shots at 1.2?

I have many pictuers posted in a FL 55mm f1.2 thread shot at f1.2 in the POTN Lens Archive:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1105149

I am more than impressed with this lens, I found it sharper wide open than the C/Y Zeiss 50mm f1.4 with better contrast and comparable colors.

Upvote 0
E

elvan

ontarian said:
russellwth said:
hey ed, thanks alot for your help! though i would say that the link you've provided well, required some head banging first, i found a guide off tago, which describes using the ai servo method to get into the program, afterwhich, i calibrated the F8.0 + 2 digits from 01 to 17 – correction of focus confirmation dot to 06 instead of the default which was 09 and as a result, ive managed to receive rather spot on AF.

in the end the calibration function did help out :D

Thanks for the valuable feedback, I'll confirm on my several len copies as well and if I find that a setting of 06 is the best vs. the default 09 I will add making this adjustment to my standard chip programming routine on adapters I send out. -Ed Mika
Let us know your findings ED. It seems like 06 worked a little better in some cases and a little worst in other situations.

Upvote 0
R

russellwth

just thought'd i'll share this with ya'll.
just an example of the lens calibrated properly with the dandelion AF chip, so far so good, nailing all the shots with the AF green light in the viewfinder.

some tips to getting the focus bang on quick,
use the one-point (center point AF selection) and one-shot AF as this proves the most effective.
1) focus in to the region where you think you are getting the sharpest focus point
2) half press on the shutter release and then fine-tune adjustment till focus confirmation shows, beep or just the green light if you've deactivated the beep.
3) shoot!

end result:

IMG_3306 by simpleruss, on Flickr
cheers gents!

ps: shot was taken at f1.2 and at iso 800 on 1000D

Upvote 0
E

elvan

After a focal length and aperture reprogram, the 06 setting on the focus adjust did seem to provide the best overall focus confirm on my 550d. At low light situations, the reliability is somewhat iffy and I would still suggest focusing from liveview if your subject is stationary. However, with these adjustments, I find the focus confirm (center) is about 90% reliable for most situations.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Jamriman said:
Wonderful pics! I have a 55 1.2 aspherical FD. I am waiting for Ed's adapter to use it. Anyone have any thoughts on how it compares to the fl? Thanks!
Thanks! I haven't had any experience with the FD 55mm Aspherical but would love to find one.
The FL is great though and they can be found for a reasonable price -- I got mine on Craigslist for under $100. Plus, the lens has such a nice build quality. It's become my favorite lens.
I recommend getting a lens hood for times when you want to control flare -- the standard FL hood works (S-60), but if you're shooting on APS-C you can use the deeper telephoto lens hood (T-60-1) without it showing up in the corners of the frame. I have both.

Upvote 0
Enjoying my 55 1.2, still waiting on a Katzeye split focusing screen so I don't have to use Live View on my 50D; that thing eats batteries like they're popcorn

423360_505522223232_98100064_30072719_1338880016_n.jpg

422618_505522013652_98100064_30072715_141783919_n.jpg

Taken while watching a movie on a projector. The light from the movie and his phone are the only light sources
166952_505491784232_98100064_30072520_951712595_n.jpg

Hand held at night
429832_505471390102_98100064_30072409_691381685_a.jpg

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Harley said:
The_Arsonist said:
Enjoying my 55 1.2, still waiting on a Katzeye split focusing screen so I don't have to use Live View on my 50D; that thing eats batteries like they're popcorn

Nice shots. That Katzeye screen and the FL 55mm are a fun combination, aren't they?

Just got myself an FL 55/1.2 off ebay, as soon as I can afford it i'll be getting the edmika conversion kit (maybe tonight, just can't check netbanking right now to see my balance).
It was that or the katz-eye, i'm hoping to get the katz-eye eventually anyway, but the lens was a bargain I couldn't pass up (so i'll just live-view it, got a spare battery anyway).
Was only $250 shipped, one of the cheapest 50-58mm f/1.2 lenses of any mount on ebay recently. Adding on the edmika kit it's still under $380, i've seen pentax, nikon, and olympus-mount 50 f/1.2 lenses go for $500+ (which wouldn't need a fancy adapter to EF).
But I've even seen a few FD 55 f/1.2 SSC/Asph go for up to $700. Either some people are stocking up in hope of a conversion kit, or it's film, m4/3, or NEX users driving those crazy prices...

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
dr croubie said:
as soon as I can afford it i'll be getting the edmika conversion kit (maybe tonight, just can't check netbanking right now to see my balance).

ah, what the hell, paypal didn't reject my payment so looks like there's still space on my card (hope I can afford groceries for the week, but meh, shallow DOF > eating). I could afford to lose a few kgs anyway.

Ed, i'll let you know how long it takes to get to Aus (with any luck, at the same time as my new FL55...)

Upvote 0
Harley said:
The_Arsonist said:

Nice shots. That Katzeye screen and the FL 55mm are a fun combination, aren't they?

Thanks. I'm sure the Katzeye will be great; I'm starting week two of the 2-3 weeks they are backordered in manufacturing right now. That stock screen is just not meant for manual focus

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
Been using it a lot in the last few weeks since I got it, so many performances at night in low-light, f/1.2 is very well usable for iso800 handheld on my 7D.

But those aren't processed yet, this is one from yesterday morning, f/8 with a 430EX and softbox pointing at his face...

(Not bad for a 40-year-old lens bolted to a hunk of brass cut down by some canadian guy in his back shed :p )

(also, katz-eye is ordered and on its way within a month, I hope).

Upvote 0