Canon flash mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean the bracket mount?

canon-speedlite-430ex-ii-flash-19.jpg

I don't know what size it is, but you should be able to find a matching screw in the hardware store.
Example of a DIY flash bracket: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissphotos/3150460472/

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Assuming ferdi is correct and you mean the bracket mounting hole, Canon states, NOTE: The flash bracket mounting hole accepts only the Canon Speedlite Bracket SB-E2, which is not sold in the U.S.

Note that it's not the tripod-standard 1/4"-20 threading. Canon doesn't publish the specification for the threading, but since it's for a Eurpoean-market bracket, expect it to be metric.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Because you have a Canon camera, a Canon flash, and a Canon off-camera shoe cord, and that's the only flash bracket Canon makes, and only a Canon flash bracket will do?

Because you love the look of side-cast shadows?

Because you want the flash above the lens in portrait orientation, prefer using the vertical controls on the portrait grip, and happen to be a quadruple-jointed contortionist so that works for you?

See? Three great reasons right there... :p

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Note that it's not the tripod-standard 1/4"-20 threading. Canon doesn't publish the specification for the threading, but since it's for a Eurpoean-market bracket, expect it to be metric.
I've just measured and it looks like an M6 x 0.5mm thread. A standard M6 screw has a 1mm pitch, doing a quick Google it looks like M6 x 0.5mm is a fairly hard to come by but dies are available in that size.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Because you have a Canon camera, a Canon flash, and a Canon off-camera shoe cord, and that's the only flash bracket Canon makes, and only a Canon flash bracket will do?

Because you want the flash above the lens in portrait orientation, prefer using the vertical controls on the portrait grip, and happen to be a quadruple-jointed contortionist so that works for you?

Be honest, what are you really trying to say? :p

Upvote 0
B

branden

neuroanatomist said:

Hahaha, well that clears that up :D

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
PeterJ said:
I've just measured and it looks like an M6 x 0.5mm thread. A standard M6 screw has a 1mm pitch, doing a quick Google it looks like M6 x 0.5mm is a fairly hard to come by but dies are available in that size.
Or just get a standard tap-and-die set, and tap it yourself to an M7 or M8 standard screw (or a 1/4" tripod mount screw).

Not sure what the canon-brand off-camera-cord is like, i've got a YongNuo OC-E3 10m cord, on the bit that connects to the flash there's a 1/4" thread underneath that, and that goes currently on my gorillapod, although can just as easily go on a regular flash-bracket-with-1/4"-thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.