Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve received a bit of information about Canon’s upcoming and highly anticipated first attempt at a full frame mirrorless camera. We have been unable to confirm this information with known sources, but we figured we’d share it anyway.
We’re told that marketing material for the camera is currently being produced by various Canon subsidiaries around the globe.
A couple of people have claimed to have seen the camera and have given some description of it.

It looks like a bulkier EOS M50. It’s taller, wider and thicker, though the mount is still an unknown.
The camera model number begins with “R”. We’re not sure what that “R” would be in reference too, but apparently it’s not a codename.
Currently, all signs are pointing to an official announcement after Photokina, but Canon may surprise with a development announcement for the show, which begins September 26, 2018.
Take this information with a big grain of salt until we can upgrade the [CR1] rating.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I feel confident that the new camera will have an EF mount. Especially because it looks like canon is rolling out some very expensive EF glass.. If you expect people to go over and want them to go over to a new mount, you don't bring out a huge series of expensive high end EF glass just before the launch.. But them we are talking about canon, they do what they want and not everything will always be the logical thing to do

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I feel confident that the new camera will have an EF mount. Especially because it looks like canon is rolling out some very expensive EF glass.. If you expect people to go over and want them to go over to a new mount, you don't bring out a huge series of expensive high end EF glass just before the launch.. But them we are talking about canon, they do what they want and not everything will always be the logical thing to do

Canon is usually logical, but their logic often seems to take them places different than where others think they should be going.

Upvote 0
'R' for the EF-R lenses, with a Rear-projecting design that allows a more compact-appearing mounted lens with the standard EF mount, since part of the lens protrudes into the camera body.

Looking forward to native EF mount and small EF-R lenses with Dixie-cup rear caps.

It's an interesting thought. It would certainly keep the lens sizes down. But I'd be a little nervous about damaging exposed rear elements while mounting the lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well, m50 is the ugliest shit anyone can even imagine to produce. Canon made it though ...
Don't project your opinion on other people. I personally like the look of Canon's recent M cameras. They look much better than the APS-C Sonys or the retro deaign cameras to me.

Even so, my 80D looks even better so going a bit thicker with the modern design of the M50 is going the right direction for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0