Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, m50 is the ugliest shit anyone can even imagine to produce. Canon made it though ...

Canon M-50:

canon-eos-m50-1.jpg

"...ugliest shit anyone can even imagine."

blobfish.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
One of two things will happen. Canon will introduce the new FF mirrorless line and we will all say "well, is that it?" Or "Oh crap, I'm selling all my DSLRs."
For me, I'm looking for a couple of key features: In body stabilization and eye detection. Eliminating the IS from the optical design will open a lot more doors for faster, more reliable lens designs. Not having to drive the fat glass IS will save battery power and be quieter.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
'R' for the EF-R lenses, with a Rear-projecting design that allows a more compact-appearing mounted lens with the standard EF mount, since part of the lens protrudes into the camera body.

Looking forward to native EF mount and small EF-R lenses with Dixie-cup rear caps.
Just like AF-S, but now for FullFrame mirrorless? - I hope you are right.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
My guess is the “R” stands for rip-off. It’ll be a camera that barely competes with $2000 competitions but will cost at least $3300.

Joking aside, I’m keen to see how it does. I’ve been waiting for a competitive upgrade to my original 6D for a few years now and I’m hoping this camera will be it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Well, m50 is the ugliest shit anyone can even imagine to produce. Canon made it though ...
It’s very subjective but I would have to agree with you. As much as I dislike the aestehic of the M50 it’s still much more bearable than it’s 4K video implementation which might as well not exist.

Upvote 0

Keywalker333

Keywalker
Aug 19, 2018
One of two things will happen. Canon will introduce the new FF mirrorless line and we will all say "well, is that it?" Or "Oh crap, I'm selling all my DSLRs."
For me, I'm looking for a couple of key features: In body stabilization and eye detection. Eliminating the IS from the optical design will open a lot more doors for faster, more reliable lens designs. Not having to drive the fat glass IS will save battery power and be quieter.
Agreed. Add Canon's Vari-Angle rear display, up the dynamic range, and the mirrorless crown will fall from Sony's lofty brow.

Upvote 0
I don't give a rat's ass what it looks like. I don't buy cameras take pictures of them, I buy cameras to use them to take pictures.

I believe that pleasant looking things are likely to perform better in real life use. I don’t care if a camera take perfect pictures of a wall, when mounted on a tripod. I want it to perform in my hands. I usually find that Canon cameras do that. When I tried a Sony for a while, I felt uncomfortable picking up the camera every time. It took great pictures, but it was a pain to work with.

Upvote 0

Keywalker333

Keywalker
Aug 19, 2018
I believe that pleasant looking things are likely to perform better in real life use. I don’t care if a camera take perfect pictures of a wall, when mounted on a tripod. I want it to perform in my hands. I usually find that Canon cameras do that. When I tried a Sony for a while, I felt uncomfortable picking up the camera every time. It took great pictures, but it was a pain to work with.
That's true for me as well. Both handling and menus are unwieldy. Waiting for Canon to out their FF mirrorless. Currently, my A7R3 is the best body to work with, IQ and performance-wise, but just barely. It is a royal pain. When IQ isn't the main concern, I reach for my M5 every time.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I have spent years using a variety of different cameras, from film SLRs, film P&S to DSLRs including the 350D, 7D, , 700D, and 80D as well as mirrorless M10 and M5. This has given me clearly understood matrix of ergonomic parameters and experiences.

The 80D is the ideal size for me. The only ergonomic improvement, would be to add a thumb joystick (like the 7D), and shave off about 200-300gr of weight. The more I have used my M5, the more I appreciate its ergonomics in a small package (muscle memory being improved, etc). Though when I return to my 80D, I appreciate the more tactile and less cramped layout.

There is a place for both - the current 'DSLR shape/size' and the smaller EOS M size, in my humble opinion, particularly when one factors in the smaller EF-M lenses. E.g. when I want something small to have in my bag, my M5 or even M10 with my 15-45mm zoom or the the 22mm f/2 prime makes a great compact portable package, with very good image quality. However for longer term shooting, my 80D / 7D combination with a one of my EF/EF-S lenses does provide a more ergonomic (& responsive) package overall (e.g. the full day outdoor photo outings, or events I photograph).

I also really like the idea of Canon's new ("rumoured") mirrorless having a LP-E6N battery... I have a stack of LP-E6(N) batteries, most of them still going strong. Looking forward to Canon's offering coming up. I am sure they will provide a sensible, and well performing option / set of options.

Cheers,

PJ

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0