Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
'R' for the EF-R lenses, with a Rear-projecting design that allows a more compact-appearing mounted lens with the standard EF mount, since part of the lens protrudes into the camera body.

Looking forward to native EF mount and small EF-R lenses with Dixie-cup rear caps.
You seem to have sound logic in your presumptions.

Upvote 0
Back to R mount with a 2000mm f/11 mark II ;-)
Canon R lens mount

good good. and it'll give us a nice compatibility with a wide range of 1950-1960-ish lenses, not just 2000mm f/11.

Another guess, R stands for Retracting sensor I proposed I while ago. That is, the sensor moving in and out depending on the flange distance of the lens mounted.

Upvote 0
I have spent years using a variety of different cameras, from film SLRs, film P&S to DSLRs including the 350D, 7D, , 700D, and 80D as well as mirrorless M10 and M5. This has given me clearly understood matrix of ergonomic parameters and experiences.

The 80D is the ideal size for me. The only ergonomic improvement, would be to add a thumb joystick (like the 7D), and shave off about 200-300gr of weight. The more I have used my M5, the more I appreciate its ergonomics in a small package (muscle memory being improved, etc). Though when I return to my 80D, I appreciate the more tactile and less cramped layout.

There is a place for both - the current 'DSLR shape/size' and the smaller EOS M size, in my humble opinion, particularly when one factors in the smaller EF-M lenses. E.g. when I want something small to have in my bag, my M5 or even M10 with my 15-45mm zoom or the the 22mm f/2 prime makes a great compact portable package, with very good image quality. However for longer term shooting, my 80D / 7D combination with a one of my EF/EF-S lenses does provide a more ergonomic (& responsive) package overall (e.g. the full day outdoor photo outings, or events I photograph).

I also really like the idea of Canon's new ("rumoured") mirrorless having a LP-E6N battery... I have a stack of LP-E6(N) batteries, most of them still going strong. Looking forward to Canon's offering coming up. I am sure they will provide a sensible, and well performing option / set of options.

Cheers,

PJ

My experience somewhat mirrors yours but using the larger cameras. Of the 6D, 7D, 5D, 1Dc/1Dx, C100, C200, C300, C700 cameras we have here, my actual favorite is the 1D series because my hands are so large. Even the 5D series (mark 2 to mark 4) is too small for me. i NEED that large battery to feel comfortable shooting hockey, soccer (football), basketball and our industrial systems work. For the mirrorless cameras between the M50 and M5, I take the M50 because it "Feels Larger" to me in size over the M5. I have done a pro shoot on an M50 and I am VERY SURPRISED at just how good the 4K video running at 24 fps is when you use a decent 50 mm, 85mm or 135mm lens even when using a custom adapter! I personally like shooting everything MANUALLY where I do the focus, iris for primes and zooming if i'm on a zoom lens so the autofocus is not an issue I need to worry about.

I actually PREFER the image output of the M50 over the M5 as it SEEMS to give me sharper video footage. The rolling shutter issue is controllable by opening up the iris and changing your angles for action shots to mostly persons objects coming into me frontwards or directly away from me rather than side to side motion! After that, Blackmagic Resolve works WONDERS on the M50 4k video footage brightening, saturating and sharpening it to my heart's delight!

If your tool has limitations, you work WITHIN your tool's limitation or you use creative techniques to get AROUND the limitations. The M50 really doesn't have too many limitations other than more rolling shutter than my 5Dmk4/1Dc/1Dxmk2 cameras. Image quality is quite comparable if those limitations are taken into account during filming!

NOW....what I DO EXPECT from Canon is that it's new Mirrorless Full Frame camera will have some Stills and Video features (based upon my sources!) that are quite a bit more spectacular than many have surmised here. You're going to be getting a bit of a treat on about four common features coming very soon now. After that the NEXT Canon camera is where the BIG GUNS from Canon are coming out because THAT ONE is Medium Format and the REASON I KNOW that is because ANOTHER MF large sensor camera is coming out from a certain company at a certain time which will turn the Stills and Video industry UPSIDE DOWN with it's everything AND the kitchen sync feature set ;-) :) stuffed into a smallish kinda-XC15-like form factor but using a DCI 8K by 6K up-to-120 fps at FULL SIZE of the MF sensor and MF lenses allowing use of the many built-in interframe and intraframe RAW/444/422/420 codecs and many image frame sizes and aspect ratios WITHOUT having to buy extra licences!

REMEMBER! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
And they think Canon would use a completely new mount because...?
...because it could allow for new possibilities such as smaller light lenses, while still retain full EF compatibility thru an adapter. I'm not saying it would be the way to go, but it seems some people would not mind a new mount at all. I personally don't care much.

If they'd go with a new lens mount, I would surely appreciate full EF compatibility (a while ago we read here on CR there was a 'really nice solution'; curious what that might be) since I have 8 EF L lenses, ranging from16mm to 500mm, and am not looking forward to getting rid of that. But I would love to have some really small compact FF lenses for travelling.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I bought a Canon M5 and sold it soon afterwards for two reasons.

1. The EVF was terrible : small, laggy and very low resolution. I couldn't bear using it.

2. I was frequently accidentally pressing the menu button whilst trying to take a picture. Almost always.

The menu button is situated at the very bottom right of the camera.

With such a small camera there are very few ways of actually holding it and supporting it with a decent (i.e. heavy) lens.

And it turns out that when gripping the camera tightly you are quite likely to accidentally press the menu button whilst taking a shot.

This drove me totally nuts.

I am really quite astounded that Canon have continued to put such an important button in such a place .... pressing it whilst trying to compose a shot causes mayhem.

I honestly believe that this alone will be enough to sink the camera.

No doubt there are countless people who have adapted (consciously or otherwise) to this problem but I find it very, very difficult to believe that I will be in such a tiny minority that hardly anyone will hear about the problem.

Whilst I love the whole tilty-flippy thing it does seem to imply there are no buttons on the left hand side of the camera and this is a great loss I think. If they could find some way of combining the flippy screen with a column of buttons on the left that would be great ... but maybe its an either/or situation.

The resulting high density of buttons on the right comes with its own set of problems ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No company is going to give it to you, you have to pay.

Beyond that, define the terms (high resolution and fast). Then you can observe which company sells them soonest.
I'd suggest the Leica SL, whose EVF is really excellent, even though I'd still prefer an optical (EOS) viewfinder.
But, as it's been said before, it doesn't come for free, far from it...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I bought a Canon M5 and sold it soon afterwards for two reasons.

1. The EVF was terrible : small, laggy and very low resolution. I couldn't bear using it.

2. I was frequently accidentally pressing the menu button whilst trying to take a picture. Almost always.

The menu button is situated at the very bottom right of the camera.

With such a small camera there are very few ways of actually holding it and supporting it with a decent (i.e. heavy) lens.

And it turns out that when gripping the camera tightly you are quite likely to accidentally press the menu button whilst taking a shot.

This drove me totally nuts.

I am really quite astounded that Canon have continued to put such an important button in such a place .... pressing it whilst trying to compose a shot causes mayhem.

I honestly believe that this alone will be enough to sink the camera.

No doubt there are countless people who have adapted (consciously or otherwise) to this problem but I find it very, very difficult to believe that I will be in such a tiny minority that hardly anyone will hear about the problem.

Whilst I love the whole tilty-flippy thing it does seem to imply there are no buttons on the left hand side of the camera and this is a great loss I think. If they could find some way of combining the flippy screen with a column of buttons on the left that would be great ... but maybe its an either/or situation.

The resulting high density of buttons on the right comes with its own set of problems ...
yes....

I tried the SX-50 and had a similar problem.... I could not pick it up without turning on the delay timer..... Eventually I gave up :)

Upvote 0