Canon Full Frame Mirrorless to use Dedicated Sensor [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that Canon’s first foray into a full frame mirrorless camera will use a dedicated CMOS sensor and won’t be using either the EOS 6D Mark II or EOS 5D Mark IV image sensors. The claim again comes from an internal presentation of Canon’s 2018 roadmap. We’re still being told not to expect an announcement until at least August of 2018 ahead of Photokina in Cologne, Germany.</p>

<p>We’re also told that a higher end APS-C based mirrorless camera above the EOS M5 is not in the cards.</p>
<p>Nikon is expected to announce their first full frame mirrorless camera before Canon in the first half of 2018.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Interesting...but not "on the edge of my seat" interesting.
I use Canon for FF (5DIV)...and I am waaaay committed to another manufacturer's non-FF, mirrorless system already (5 bodies, 15 lenses)....so unless this is something super special from Canon...which based on the way Canon doles out its cameras...."we are number 1...We do what we feel like and don't engage in a competition with our competitors" attitude....I am not really expecting too much from a Canon FF mirrorless. Still it will be interesting to see if they can get serious about it! 8)

Upvote 0

Warren21

Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2016
Canada
www.flickr.com
I think we're all in agreement that it will probably be called the M1, and Canon have been rebranding/positioning their EOS M line to match the 'European' EOS naming conventions... See below:

1D/M1 - Professional 'Halo' Product/Highest Performance
5D/M5 - Professional/High Performance
6D/M6 - Entry level Professional/Enthusiast High Performance

x0D/Mx0 - Enthusiast/Performance (This whole theory hinges on what the M20 will look like...)

x00D/Mx00 - Entry level (Ever wonder why the successor to the M10 was the M100? I think this is why...)

The potential M20 and the existence of the M100 cameras are really what bring this idea to life, but it would be nice to have some congruity between the two product lines. What do you all think?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
"We’re also told that a higher end APS-C based mirrorless camera above the EOS M5 is not in the cards." Why should they? There are few M lenses worthy of the M5/6 as it is. To come up with a new mount only to let it wither and die. I certainly don't understand Canon's strategy. As for FF mirrorless, my standards are much higher than for APS-C since there are no real size benefits. Global electronic shutter and a zippy quick EVF are prerequisite. Someday...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Nikon bit is juicy, the rest less so.

1) Nikon to come to market with FF mirrorless first = logical given their CX / Nikon 1 exodus, but one wonders if it will be a rushed effort to reassure its users that it is on stable footing and pushing new ideas in this space. I see Canon being late to the FF mirrorless space (i.e. even behind Nikon), but what they offer will work reliably with familiar handling.

2) 'Higher end APS-C' will likely just be the follow-up to the M5/M6 models. I see that being the 80D of mirrorless, and moving up to a 7D2 of mirrorless doesn't really have a big market, does it?.

3) New sensor = yawn. Doubt it will be a curved sensor gamechanger as it will (likely) impact EF lens compatibility, right? I read 'new sensor in FF mirrorless' as simply being better than the 6D2 and not being better than the 5D4, nothing more. It very well could just be a 26 MP sensor with the dynamic range of the 5D4 that was bizarrely left out of the 6D2 sensor.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
"We’re also told that a higher end APS-C based mirrorless camera above the EOS M5 is not in the cards." Why should they? There are few M lenses worthy of the M5/6 as it is. To come up with a new mount only to let it wither and die. I certainly don't understand Canon's strategy. As for FF mirrorless, my standards are much higher than for APS-C since there are no real size benefits. Global electronic shutter and a zippy quick EVF are prerequisite. Someday...

+1. Who needs a 10-12 fps super APS-C rig when the best native mount lens doesn't even have USM focusing?

Talk to me about a 7D2-like mirrorless rig when there's an EF-M 10-22 f/2.8 USM or EF-M 17-55 f/2.8 to use with it.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Warren21 said:
1D/M1 - Professional 'Halo' Product/Highest Performance
5D/M5 - Professional/High Performance
6D/M6 - Entry level Professional/Enthusiast High Performance

1) I thought the M5 and M6 differed only in one getting an integral EVF. (Correct/incorrect?)

2) Equating the functionality / IQ / performance of the 5D and the M5 is off-target. The 5D is a professional rig with a professional build and feature set -- it just lack an integral grip and sexiest of the highest end stuff the 1DX platform gets. In contrast, I'd more liken the M5 to the 80D, not the 5D brand.

I get your good/better/best approach, but as mirrorless will straddle mount sizes in this approach, I see it more like:

M1 (if that's what it's called) = a 6D2 + EVF - mirror. I just don't see them offering a beastly 5D4 / 5DS / 1DX2 level mirrorless rig to start. Go for well-heeled enthusiasts and folks looking for a solid second body and scoop up all the cash from pent-up demand.

M5/M6 = 80D for those who do/don't want an integral EVF. I think it's perfectly positioned right there -- going upmarket to a 7D2-like 'crop 1DX lite' rig is a leap to me.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
M5/M6 = 80D for those who do/don't want an integral EVF. I think it's perfectly positioned right there -- going upmarket to a 7D2-like 'crop 1DX lite' rig is a leap to me.

It makes even less sense when considering that a lot (most?) 7D2 owners buy it for sports/wildlife + extra reach -- and how many of those users have a strong preference for OVF?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
ahsanford said:

It makes even less sense when considering that a lot (most?) 7D2 owners buy it for sports/wildlife + extra reach -- and how many of those users have a strong preference for OVF?

Certainly not 'most'. If every 7D2 owner was shooting wildlife/BiF/sports, it would be a > $2500+ 'crop 1DX' rig built for war, built for superwhites, etc.. It isn't. It's effectively an 80D with a tougher build, slightly higher FPS and better AF, nothing more.

I think a lot of soccer moms and hockey dads get a 7D2 with a kid's odd action need in mind but end up using it at pedestrian standard FLs quite a bit. And when they do, they are forced to choose between slow EF-S STM nonsense, very old and underwhelming EF-S USM lenses, or EF L lenses that straddle common use cases (e.g. an EF 24-70 on crop always had me switching out to my EF-S 10-22mm as the wide end was equivalent 38mm FF or so -- effectively right in the heart of a standard zoom). Crop lacks high end*, first- party, purpose-built standard zooms and ultrawides, unless you consider slapping a 16-35L on one a good substitute.

(*Yes, yes, there are quite sharp and serviceable EF-S lenses, but consider: few are 'last 5 years modern' + USM + faster than f/4.)

And people who want reach also want responsiveness, which means OVF to me. So a high fps EVF-based crop rig just doesn't add up to me.

- A

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
funkboy said:
Personally I think that an APS-H size sensor (with e.g 6D-size pixels) would be sufficient for a large-sensor mirrorless camera, & help keep the size & weight down while still being a significant step up from the APS-C crowd.
Nice thought, but the marketing people at Canon wouldn't let this even get past the conversation stage. I have always been a great fan of APS-H, notably the brilliant 1D MkIV, but don't expect for a moment that we'll ever see another APS-H body from Canon.

-pw

Upvote 0
mlmcasual said:
Will, if history is any prediction of the future with Canon..
It will have poor Dynamic range, no 4K, lag way behind the FujiX T2.. and will cost double what it's worth.

To be fair, they might put mjpeg 4k in it?

I think there would be a even bigger complaint cycle if Canon didn't manage to at least improve on the 5d mk4 sensor and capabilities over two years; hopefully this will be a pair to the 5dsr mk2?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
1) I thought the M5 and M6 differed only in one getting an integral EVF. (Correct/incorrect?)

The M5 has Touch and Drag Autofocus (where you can control the focus point using the touch screen while viewing through the EVF). This is really useful.

The M6 does not have this feature, even if you attach the optional electronic viewfinder.

Upvote 0