Canon Full Frame Mirrorless to use Dedicated Sensor [CR2]

AvTvM said:
bf said:
I'd like a high speed mirror-less body with EF mount equipped towards action and wildlife. I prefer the full-frame version rather than APS-C. The fact is Canon has not offered any glass other than in EF mount for this application.

so .. what about all that FD glass - including long and fast tele lenses - sold until 1987 :p ;)
And of course Canon has not launched a new lens mount for FF mirrorless since they have not launched any FF MILC yet either. :)

The EF line up is twice the size of the FD line up. I don't think they are dropping EF any time soon. The more I think of it though, as unhappy as I would be, I think FF mirror less will be a new mount. I just hope the use of adapters for EF lenses work better then how the EF to E-mount adapters work, and really even the A-mount to E-mount.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Ryananthony said:
AvTvM said:
bf said:
I'd like a high speed mirror-less body with EF mount equipped towards action and wildlife. I prefer the full-frame version rather than APS-C. The fact is Canon has not offered any glass other than in EF mount for this application.

so .. what about all that FD glass - including long and fast tele lenses - sold until 1987 :p ;)
And of course Canon has not launched a new lens mount for FF mirrorless since they have not launched any FF MILC yet either. :)

The EF line up is twice the size of the FD line up. I don't think they are dropping EF any time soon. The more I think of it though, as unhappy as I would be, I think FF mirror less will be a new mount. I just hope the use of adapters for EF lenses work better then how the EF to E-mount adapters work, and really even the A-mount to E-mount.

of course Canon-Canon adaptors will work better than some 3rdparty Canon-Sony cr*p.

Obviously a good deal of "adapter angst" is coming from (poor) experiences with metabones etc. stuff. But don't worry, Canon to Canon adaptor work seamlessly. Exactly like the Canon EF/EF-M adaptor. Works like a charm. EF lenses are fully functional on Canon mirrorless cameras, with AF performance as good as in Live View mode on any Canon EOS DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
Exactly like the Canon EF/EF-M adaptor. Works like a charm. EF lenses are fully functional on Canon mirrorless cameras, with AF performance as good as in Live View mode on any Canon EOS DSLR.

While that's true for current Canon mirrorless cameras, like my new M6, it's not true for older versions (M, M2, M3). With those older models, if the camera is set to Servo continuous AF, the lens will focus for the first shot in a sequence, and AF is locked at that position. In other words, Servo AF isn't 'fully functional', and for it's intended use, not really functional at all. That's not true for EF-M lenses on those bodies, only for adapted EF/EF-S lenses.

If (a big IF, there) Canon does go with an thin mount + adapter for the FF MILC, hopefully they won't fcuk up the adapter AF implementation like they did with the EF-M.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
AvTvM said:
bf said:

How long did it take for Canon to develop the existing EF collection from FD? How they treated their newer EFS and EFM mounts?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Silversurfer2018 said:
i wonder why this ret* ard mountmongospokane admin is trying to ban people ?

i already have 10 other accounts mongo admin.. you can not ban me.

Good question. Here's my take:

1) First time poster, eh? Welcome!

2) You are answering your own question above just fine. Retrace your steps, sound it out, use your words -- you'll get there.

3) Talk me through your writing process. Tell me, do you proof your work?

4) If you have to cultivate ten identities to participate in discussion on the internet, you might want to reflect on why that is necessary. I'm guessing the admin is not the problem here. While we're at it, if you have to keep changing your name, who will appreciate the legacy of great posts you've brought to the forum?

- A

Upvote 0
Canon Mirrorless FF 2018 or 2019

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/05/canons-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-may-arrive-2018-sensor/
If only Canon can output similar or better specs sooner like Sony's mirrorless camera A7riii... I am sure this would make alot of Canon fans happy....
Any input as to what you would like to see other on this smaller FF body....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Canon Mirrorless FF 2018 or 2019

Takingshots said:
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/05/canons-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-may-arrive-2018-sensor/
If only Canon can output similar or better specs sooner like Sony's mirrorless camera A7riii... I am sure this would make alot of Canon fans happy....
Any input as to what you would like to see other on this smaller FF body....

1) Who said it was going to be smaller? There's a nontrivial chance we get a full EF mount with an FF rig. My chips are still on a thin mount + adapter as Canon's more likely move, but there's no certainty there. One could easily build a rationale around a full EF mount rig. See graphic.

2) 2018 vs. 2019 depends on what else is being announced that year. This is a big enough deal that it might get a full 6-12 months of the dedicated marketing spotlight from Canon, so don't expect it the same year as other FF releases, one would think. So either next year we get an accelerated 5DS/R 2 (i.e. slightly faster than planned, for a host of reasons) or we get a FF mirrorless platform -- I don't think it will be both.

- A

Attachments

• mirrorless mount options.jpg
    mirrorless mount options.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

The only camera manufacturer that has matched a great selection of high quality small factor prime and zoom lenses for its Mirrorless systems is Fuji. Sony has great sensors and almost unmatched image quality but their lenses for the most part are too large for their camera bodies. Sony cameras also lack easy to use manual controls and depend on complex multi layer menus to get to basic camera functions. Canon finally has a competent mirrorless body in the M5 they have not created a high quality native lens selection to support it. Canon DSLR lenses, except pancake lenses are way too big for the M5 system. If Canon wishes to be a player in this growing market they really need to up their game.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014

john kriegsmann said:
Sony cameras also lack easy to use manual controls and depend on complex multi layer menus to get to basic camera functions

That may have been true in the past, but it’s certainly untrue with its latest entries.

The A7Rii for example has a significant number of functions mappable to buttons, and custom menu accessible from the Fn button. A7riii doubles down. If there is a function you can not map I haven’t found it and probably wouldn’t want to*. I for example have the EyeAF function mapped to a back button, and AFon mapped to the center press (i.e. what sets the AF point back to center on canon bodies) of the joystick, so I need not toggle anything, and if I’m not using EyeAF I need not lift my thumb after selecting a point. I have a dedicated control for each exposure component, including exposure comp (which I don’t use). I have a toggle to change drive mode, a toggle to change metering mode, a toggle for silent shutter, a toggle for exposure preview, etc. They also added a custom menu (like canon’s) to dump other commands to.

The ergo could be better (taller grip, more spacing to lens mount), but controls aren’t so much a weakness as they are a selling point. In my experience it is unmatched, but I’ve not used a canon newer than my 5d3.

*I wish I could put ISO in the rear dial, but it’s doable on the rear wheel.

Upvote 0