Canon increased its global market share of still cameras in 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
For all the internet hate Canon gets, they continue to do what you’re supposed to do as a company, sell more things than anyone else, and according to the latest numbers, Canon has done just that. In 2018, Canon increased its market share globally by 3.9%.
Now, it’s not all positive, as the digital camera market fell 22% in 2018. Which means Canon has a bigger piece of a smaller pie.
The top 5 camera companies control 85.2% of the global camera market.
Top 5 camera manufacturers by market share globally:

Canon 40.5% (+ 3.9)
Nikon 19.1% (- 2.7)
Sony 17.7% (- 0.7)
Fujifilm: 5.1% (+ 1.3)
Olympus: 2.8% (+ 0.1)

It looks like Sony continues to eat into Nikon’s market share, and I imagine is a second system for a lot of Canon shooters.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
No question that there's a lot of vitriol on camera brand superiority all over the internet, but numbers are just numbers without interpretation, and that interpretation seems to flipflop depending on whose talking and what they want to see. It's pretty hard to tease out the underlying performance of one company over another based on any one metric.

The Nekkei report is behind a paywall - are they reporting sales value or number of units sold? Just to put it all in context.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Always interesting to see actual facts as so may people on youtube claim everyone is leaving Canon for Sony.

I think Canon, despite the average bodies, going full on with pro grade RF lenses has been wise, it's a clear statement.

Nikon I think is struggling because their message isn't clear. Their Z cameras are quite good but a step below their SLRs but they are still more expensive. The lenses released are not the sort of legendary lenses the F-mount traded on especially when it comes to things like build quality. Even the 24-70/2.8S while optically superior is apparently, according to reviews anyway, a notch below their F-mount 24-70/2.8 in terms of build quality. So for Nikon the messaging is very muddled - is Z mount just for smaller system but heavy duty pros need to stick to F mount? With Canon there's no confusion either way - both systems are going to be complete. You can only make one first impression.

At the end of the day, while ever the internet obsesses about dynamic range at ISO 2 million, most people instinctively know that it's lenses that make a system. That's why the Leica M mount survives. That is why even Pentax K mount survives. It has been the magic behind the EF mount. Canon is using it to push the RF mount. It's fascinating to me to see Nikon, having for decades understood this fact and leveraged it to sell cameras with F-mount, seems to have forgotten this right at the moment a new mount is released, their first full frame one since the 1950s. I really wonder about the management of that company. While I love Canon I do admire Nikon and many of their lenses from the 80s and 90s are incredibly well built tanks, their ergonomics are great and they are a good competitor we should be happy to have them keep pushing Canon but they seem really all over the place at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
But, but, this can't be true: "every one I know has thrown out their Canon kit and has switched to Sony" (repeat incessantly on a Canon forum) - so how can their share have slipped a bit? :unsure::unsure:
Well, like he states in this article, he thinks there are quite a few Canon users (probably long-time users) that are also shooting with some Sony gear in their kit. Take Dustin Abbott (reviewer extraordinaire, IMO) for example: he started with Canon, had 2 6D's for quite awhile, then bought a 5D Mk IV, and then bought a Sony A7 Mk III when those came out. And he uses both still I believe and for commercial/paid work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It was not huge suprise after seeing an article last year about how Canon claimed a giant chunk in 2018 of Japan's full frame mirrorless market.

Also, lately, reviewers on Youtube, like the slanted lens, noted leaning toward purchasing the EOS R. And even if Jared Polin hasn't bought an R, he's certainly using one, and it's evident he's enthralled with new RF lenses like the RF 85mm 1.2 he just released a video for this summer. I seem to recall the guy at the SLR Lounge just saying the RF 28-70mm is his new favorite lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Well, like he states in this article, he thinks there are quite a few Canon users (probably long-time users) that are also shooting with some Sony gear in their kit. Take Dustin Abbott (reviewer extraordinaire, IMO) for example: he started with Canon, had 2 6D's for quite awhile, then bought a 5D Mk IV, and then bought a Sony A7 Mk III when those came out. And he uses both still I believe and for commercial/paid work.
And it’s very possibly true the other way around as well,

but really, Sony has been pretty much all by themselves for a long time with mirrorless. Most of that time mirrorless wasn’t selling very well, and was supported by Sony. Then mirrorless seemed to be doing better, because the much better selling DSLR’s (not Sony’s, as they were always selling poorly) started to decline at a rapid rate, making mirrorless look much better, even though mirrorless sales themselves weren’t growing rapidly.

that gave Sony a better marketshare. But, with both Canon and Nikon out of the game for years in mirrorless, Sony had almost no competition. When Canon finally entered with the M series, it shook everything up, because sales of those shot up, and became a major rival to Sony there.

but still no full frame until now. Canon has great lenses there, but good, but not exciting bodies. Nikon has excellent bodies, but good, but not great lenses.

it don’t think we can tell how this is going to play out until the end of 2020 is here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Guys! Time for a reality check here!

I'm not even sure what they are measuring. The story reads as though they are measuring the overall camera market, which would include both DSLRs and Mirrorless and maybe even point and shoots and analog cameras.

If that's the case, remember that one of the top selling cameras worldwide is the Fuji Instax.

Remember too that among digital cameras, APS-C sensor cameras far outsell full frame so don't put too much weight on the sales of Sony, Canon or Nikon full frame mirrorless.

And, in terms of Nikon, keep in mind that they don't even have an APS-C mirrorless line.

Finally, it represents sales in 2018.

So, yeah, this shows Canon is gaining overall market share, but don't be getting all excited about the R system vs. Sony, because we don't even know if that's a factor in this report.

Upvote 0
I think Canon's success is multifaceted but it's ergonomics and the intuitive design is the key. If you don't have to use the instruction manual to navigate the system in a timely manner, that's big. I once tried to help a Nikon user with some setting and about tore my hair out. Word of mouth is another key selling point. For example: a "soccer mom"(sports mom) has friends that see the photos and realize their smart phone isn't cutting it. Parents want great photos of their children and some come to realize the advantage of a "real camera". Canon's ads are heavy on women, family and creativity.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Nekkei report is behind a paywall - are they reporting sales value or number of units sold? Just to put it all in context.
The context is that Canon is outperforming absolutely everybody. (Unit sales / profit be damned) I may be an RP owner in the next month or two. Sold a rifle and my EF 35mm f/1.4L II. Really hated to sell that lens (Hated to sell a rifle too.), but it was my least used though awesome in every way. With a little flash, my f/2.8L zooms (24-70, 70-200) and my EF 135mm f/2L can handle what I do very well. Why the RP? It is inexpensive, has lots of focus points, and I shoot mostly stills. The 6D Mark II sensor is no slouch either (screw the haters who've never tried or seen one). I won't be pushing 6 stops of exposure. :rolleyes:o_O:poop: I have a friend on this board that owns the 6D Mark II and he takes fantastic photos with it. Of course, it will be a long while before I can get one of those superb RF lenses. Of course, I could always sell more guns, but that is near sacrilege in my neck of the woods (Texas). ;) If I could convince the wife to sell our Olympus E-M5 Mark III and the lens, that dog would be gone already. Stupid purchase for us. I'll be selling off some of those 40 M42 legacy lenses too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0