Canon Introduces The CR-S700R Robotic Camera System Enabling The Remote Operation Of Select EOS Cameras And Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, January 6, 2020 – Sports photography and news media require the use of remote photography extensively to capture still images from various viewpoints or angles that may not be achieved with conventional photography methods. Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solution, today announced the release of the Canon Robotic Camera System CR-S700R, a remote-control system for still image shooting. This system was developed to meet the needs of professional photographers to operate cameras remotely to shoot still images for the media and further represents Canon’s continued commitment to deliver convenient solutions.

The Canon Robotic Camera System CR-S700R revolves around a remote pan head that can be used to remotely control and shoot still images using a compatible EOS camera and lens*. This system includes a small and lightweight gateway box: the IP camera controller CR-G100. The CR-A100 Camera Remote Application (sold separately) enables users to control...

Continue reading...

Apr 25, 2011

What's In The Box

Robotic Camera System CR-S700R
IP Camera Controller CR-G100
Camera support bracket
Zoom Unit (with rods)
Eyepiece camera bracket
Overview camera bracket
100-400 lens support
70-200 lens support
Camera to CR-G100 N3 cable
Camera to CR-G100 USB cable
Camera to CR-G100 LAN cable
Camera to CR-S700R power cable
User Guide
Interesting. Hopefully it's not prohibitively expensive for enthusiasts.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Interesting. Hopefully it's not prohibitively expensive for enthusiasts.

Uh, have you seen the thing?? It’s the size of a small washing machine. It’s so far from enthusiast gear that it’s not even funny. The price will probably be several tens of thousands per unit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
It could just be because of the picture, but it looks bulky for what it is. In the TV And production world we have remote heads that are more streamlined and compact and they’re carrying larger cameras and lenses. The continual advancement of gimbal and other “robotics” over the last few years has given us some very good and inexpensive(relatively speaking) remote control options. If this is “several tens of thousands” of dollars, it will only be because Canon wants to charge a “Canon Tax”.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Whatever the cost, it will be cheaper than the legal fees when a camera rigging comes crashing down on the court, or worse yet, onto some fans. Since this is custom designed by Canon and Canon would have some or all the liability in the event of failure, the actual cost of the unit will be happily paid by networks, teams, stadium owners, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Unfocused.
I do understand what you are saying to an extent, but does anyone rig gear overhead without a safety cable? If they do they deserve to find out the hard way bloody amateurs!
Also why is Canon proudly making bullet point about up to 5 stored positions? My cheap really cheap pan and tilt security cameras (used for watching the dog due to his disability) have an app that gives 16 preset positions via my iPhone!

Cheers, Graham.

Whatever the cost, it will be cheaper than the legal fees when a camera rigging comes crashing down on the court, or worse yet, onto some fans. Since this is custom designed by Canon and Canon would have some or all the liability in the event of failure, the actual cost of the unit will be happily paid by networks, teams, stadium owners, etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm sure it is built to last and all that, but the truth is for amateur/semi pro use my DJI Ronin-S gives me virtually all the functionality for under $600.

Actually I was pretty down about the Ronin-S purchase for a while but DJI do keep adding functionality and camera support to it and because of that it is now twice the tool it was when I bought it.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I'm sure it is built to last and all that, but the truth is for amateur/semi pro use my DJI Ronin-S gives me virtually all the functionality for under $600.

Actually I was pretty down about the Ronin-S purchase for a while but DJI do keep adding functionality and camera support to it and because of that it is now twice the tool it was when I bought it.

You can't use your Ronin-S for what this is made for. I can't tell if you're being serious or just really really lacking in grey matter.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

It's a apple and oranges comparison - beyond the price, the Ronin is a light handheld gimbal, the Canon is a heavy fixed remote controlled mount on different axes part of a system to control several cameras at once. From the ports on the mount it looks it supports a camera to be attached to the viewfinder, and another external "view" camera.

It's quite clear it's not aimed to and beyond the reach of amateurs and semi-pro - and it doesn't look designed to be controlled from a phone app.

I would like to read technical specs like how many °/s the mount is capable in each axis, the lag between the axes controls, shutter release command and their actual activation (it's aimed at stills), and if the other cameras with software allow for some kind of auto tracking.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Wasn't there some discussion of a similar product in the past, maybe just a patent?

IIRC, someone noted all the large networks already have their own homegrown solutions, and doubted any of them would be interested replacing it with a Canon product, and someone else noted they might be happy to get rid of their homegrown solution in favor of something maintained by CPS.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's a apple and oranges comparison - beyond the price, the Ronin is a light handheld gimbal, the Canon is a heavy fixed remote controlled mount on different axes part of a system to control several cameras at once. From the ports on the mount it looks it supports a camera to be attached to the viewfinder, and another external "view" camera.

It's quite clear it's not aimed to and beyond the reach of amateurs and semi-pro - and it doesn't look designed to be controlled from a phone app.

I would like to read technical specs like how many °/s the mount is capable in each axis, the lag between the axes controls, shutter release command and their actual activation (it's aimed at stills), and if the other cameras with software allow for some kind of auto tracking.
Obviously I know that, I was just replying to a comment on the suitability for less than news corporation network use. The Ronin-S can be tripod mounted and preprogrammed with repeatable movements, it can be used with a remote zoom, it can be used with the 1D X II and III along with many more cameras with the 70-200 and many other lenses. In actual fact the Ronin has vastly greater functionality, but that wasn’t the point, the point was if you want similar capabilities on a budget then there is modest priced gear out there for you to do it with.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You can't use your Ronin-S for what this is made for. I can't tell if you're being serious or just really really lacking in grey matter.
What can’t you do with a Ronin-S that you can do with this?

Remember the context of my comment, an affordable way to get the majority of the functionality.

Upvote 0