Canon is gearing up for a big 2020 [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Basically, I intend to use these for offsite backup. I let the backup run overnight, then bring the disk to work and stick it in a desk drawer. (I don't plan to take it into the field with me, or anything like that.) True, I could do that with a wall wart unit, but I can readily plug one of these into any box anywhere and not have to hunt down the wall wart.

It's a personal preference thing; as I said if you don't mind wall warts for your personal use case, that would have been a fantastic deal.

All of the WD USB drives I've bought for the last 7-10 years use interchangeable power cords. The tip size and polarity is the same. The output voltage and current are the same. I don't have to worry about the power cord when I move them from my primary site to my backup site. I just keep one at each location.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
All of the WD USB drives I've bought for the last 7-10 years use interchangeable power cords. The tip size and polarity is the same. The output voltage and current are the same. I don't have to worry about the power cord when I move them from my primary site to my backup site. I just keep one at each location.

That's refreshingly fore-thoughtful of them! I don't think even God knows how many different useless and incompatible wall warts I have that I don't dare pitch because maybe I still own what they went with, though I have no idea what, at the moment.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
That's refreshingly fore-thoughtful of them! I don't think even God knows how many different useless and incompatible wall warts I have that I don't dare pitch because maybe I still own what they went with, though I have no idea what, at the moment.

Containers full of them. Of course the manufacturer name of the item isn’t on most, so you have to match amp rating etc to find out what goes with what.

Upvote 0
Canon has dropped a 32MP sensor capable of keeping up with Sony's APS-C. Silly DPR even comments that it outputs better RAW files than Sony or Nikon in a stark reversal. Sensor evolution was significant between the 60D, 70D, 80D, and 90D.

Canon bewildered the world by releasing heavy duty professional grade lenses right out of the gate.

Now the R firmware update offers very competitive Autofocus.

There's a pair of gloves lying forgotten on the floor of an R&D center....

Must have been quicker to build lenses to a new mount than retool the semiconductor foundrys...

I don't think Canon will disappoint us.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
I don't think we're going to see any M-mount "higher quality" L-like lenses or physically larger lenses that are larger for the purpose of wider apertures. As others have stated, I just don't think that's the intended market for this series of cameras.

I absolutely love my M6, and I'm probably one of their two target markets:

Market 1: Photographers like me who already have full-frame or 90D / 7D size-bodies and lenses, who are looking to stay in the Canon family but want to get into the mirrorless game for the compact size and "every day usability". The small size of my M6 makes it perfect for casual travel photography, family events, etc. I love carrying it around compared to my 5D series cameras. The image quality is great *for the size of the camera and lenses*, obviously not quite up to par as you'd get with a full-frame setup, but certainly good enough for its intended purpose. If image quality is my #1 priority over all else (including portability) then I'll use my 5D and L lenses. But for everything else, the M6 serves me great. I just returned yesterday from Asheville, NC for a family vacation, some landscape / mountain photography, and it was my first-ever trip without my full-frame setup and lenses. It was awesome, and so much more convenient than carrying around a full-frame with 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F4, etc. I have the M-mount 15-45mm, 22mm pancake, 32mm F1.4, and 55-200mm. There's was nothing I couldn't capture with that setup, where I said "man, I wish I had XYZ lens or aperture". At home, I might occasionally throw on my nifty-50 1.8 with the adapter for a compact portrait setup (though I like shooting portraits with the 32mm F1.4. The image quality is awesome).

Market 2: Casual photographers who have never owned an interchangeable lens camera. Even though the Rebel series is pretty small, they're still much more daunting than the look and feel of an M6 or M200. These photographers are looking for super-compact, and are shooting the same types of things I mentioned above. They have no need for capabilities above and beyond what the current lens lineup provides. They shoot for social media, YouTube and vlogs, and maybe the occasional medium-sized print.

Are there people out there that could and would use higher-quality faster M-mount glass? Of course. Is there a huge market for that on M-series bodies? I wouldn't think so. I'd venture to guess that 75%+ of the purchasers of these cameras fit loosely into one of those two categories above.

Canon is going here for the best-possible image quality that can be achieved in the smallest package. It's a balancing act. I think they've done a great job with it, and I look forward to many years shooting my M-series alongside my full-frame equipment.

Completely unrelated, I'm waiting on a Canon G9 X Mark III. I come from the old S90 / S100 + family of jeans-pocket cameras. I've never owned a G9 series, but I'm definitely getting the next one!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Aug 30, 2019
The more options the better, absolutely.

That said, unless I'm mistaken, these were existing lenses that were already created and in Sigma's line-up for Sony mirrorless and Olympus / Panasonic mirrorless. I think they just added the M-mount to the existing lens line-up to tap into the Canon market. That's great, like I said, more options. Whether or not Sigma would have created these lenses *just* for Canon, that I don't know, but debatable. Either way, can't hurt for the consumer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The more options the better, absolutely.

That said, unless I'm mistaken, these were existing lenses that were already created and in Sigma's line-up for Sony mirrorless and Olympus / Panasonic mirrorless. I think they just added the M-mount to the existing lens line-up to tap into the Canon market. That's great, like I said, more options. Whether or not Sigma would have created these lenses *just* for Canon, that I don't know, but debatable. Either way, can't hurt for the consumer.
Does it really matter? Anyway, they had to be tweaked for AF and other variables. I hope that will help you rest easy if you stop to consider the bit of work they put into it.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Aug 30, 2019
Does it really matter? Anyway, they had to be tweaked for AF and other variables. I hope that will help you rest easy if you stop to consider the bit of work they put into it.

It matters a lot when talking about the primary focus of this particular discussion, which is whether or not Canon will design and create higher-end glass for the M-series. To the casual reader, the articles posted about the Sigma lenses imply that Sigma designed and created lenses specifically for the M-series cameras. They did not. They created three lenses for APS-C mirrorless cameras first and foremost for Sony and Micro-Four Thirds. They then tweaked the mount and electronics on those three already existing lenses so they would fit on Canon cameras. That's important. People could look and say "Well Sigma created these high-lens lenses for M-series cameras, why can't Canon!?" But that's a false narrative. Sigma did not create those lenses for M-series cameras, and I doubt they would have ever designed and manufactured them specifically for EF-M if they didn't also fit several other brands' cameras. It's like if I took a wheel off a Chevy Silverado and drilled lug nut holes in it for a Ford F-150. I did not just "design and create an F-150 wheel". I simply adapted something I already had.

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It matters a lot when talking about the primary focus of this particular discussion, which is whether or not Canon will design and create higher-end glass for the M-series. To the casual reader, the articles posted about the Sigma lenses imply that Sigma designed and created lenses specifically for the M-series cameras. They did not. They created three lenses for APS-C mirrorless cameras first and foremost for Sony and Micro-Four Thirds. They then tweaked the mount and electronics on those three already existing lenses so they would fit on Canon cameras. That's important. People could look and say "Well Sigma created these high-lens lenses for M-series cameras, why can't Canon!?" But that's a false narrative. Sigma did not create those lenses for M-series cameras, and I doubt they would have ever designed and manufactured them specifically for EF-M if they didn't also fit several other brands' cameras. It's like if I took a wheel off a Chevy Silverado and drilled lug nut holes in it for a Ford F-150. I did not just "design and create an F-150 wheel". I simply adapted something I already had.
Some people tackle climate change, others inequality...this one might be bigger than all of us. Good luck.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What are you talking about? Wrong thread? We're talking about Canon lenses and the future of their product development.
So serious, no wonder you couldn't wrap your head around my tongue in cheek. Good luck with your larger M series glass diameter conundrum. Boy, the whining here is at an all time high. Everybody thinks there should be consumer products with exactly their wishes and demands or the company is either doomed or they are threatening not spending their glorious money on the brand again. Hilarious. If you need your gear to be so dialed in, just how decent of a shooter are you? Anyone worth their weight in the craft can make beautiful images with a pinhole. People are really soft these days.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Aug 30, 2019
So serious, no wonder you couldn't wrap your head around my tongue in cheek. Good luck with your larger M series glass diameter conundrum. Boy, the whining here is at an all time high. Everybody thinks there should be consumer products with exactly their wishes and demands or the company is either doomed or they are threatening not spending their glorious money on the brand again. Hilarious. If you need your gear to be so dialed in, just how decent of a shooter are you? Anyone worth their weight in the craft can make beautiful images with a pinhole. People are really soft these days.

Can you read? Seriously, can you read? My post was literally saying exactly what you're saying. That there is no need for higher-end M-lenses. My post said that I love the M-series with the existing lenses and that there is no need whatsoever for Canon to create higher-end lenses because I think the existing M-series lens series is absolutely perfect the way it is and needs no additions. Are you so blinded by your attempts to be both clever and snarky that you can't understand a simple post that says exactly what you're saying? I love the existing M-lenses and need nothing more. They are perfect for that camera and for the target market that uses that camera. Are you confusing me with someone else??

Upvote 0
[

First let me address the quality of the images you get using Canon adapted glass on the Sony a9. The answer is no, there is no decline in quality that I have seen. Image quality with the Canon 100-400, 600 f/4 II, 16-35 f/4 IS and a few others has been excellent. You lose fps and focusing speed a bit when adapting Canon glass to the a9, but image quality is awesome.

With regards to what I do not like about the a9 versus Canon bodies such as the 1DxII and 5D4. First let me say that there is nothing about the Sony a9 that is a deal killer for me, or I would not be using it. Most of what I do not like revolves around ergonomics/usability.

It is a very small camera and without the battery grip it is too small for me to hold comfortably for long periods of time and use with larger lens efficiently. With the battery grip I love it. I do not like how Sony has treated/positioned the various wheels and buttons on the camera body. The worst is the AF-ON button as it is too small and barely raised above the surface of the camera making it hard to find and press at times. I have gotten used to it, but the new a9II will have and a7rIV has restyled buttons that are/will be much better. The wheel located in front of the shutter button and on the rear of the body are orientated the wrong way for easy use IMO, but again you can get used to it. The rear LCD screen is small and has poor resolution compared to Canon. Sony embeds very small Jpegs in their RAW files versus Canon embedding full size Jpegs. This does not seem like a big deal until you want to inspect the images on your media cards for critical sharpness prior to importing them onto your computer. You cannot zoom in to 1:1 to check sharpness because the imbedded Jpeg is too in resolution, you must import the RAWs and build 1:1 previews before you can zoom in to inspect sharpness. This is a big deal to me based on my post-processing workflow. May not be for you. Lastly, how Sony organized the menu of the a9 and the terminology they use is not intuitive. But again you can get past that issue, well at least I did.

What I really like about the a9 is no black-out EVF that is even better than a DSLRs mirror flipping stop motion effect when it comes to not interfering with your ability to track very fast moving subjects. The a9 at 20 fps has no black-out what so ever. You just follow your subject like you would with your naked eyes. Even the delay is so small that keeping up with a fast target is no problem. The other aspect of the a9 that has no rival (IMO) at this point is the AF system. It is really amazing and functions flawlessly in continuous at 20 fps. I have been able to get more long bursts of birds in flight where every image is tack sharp than I was ever able to get with my 1DxII, and I do a lot of bird in flight photography and have been doing it for many years. I am talking about 90+ images all tack sharp. To me this is mirrorless at its best (for now).

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

GREAT reply, thank you very much, I do a lot of BiF as well, so this is helpful

Upvote 0
Spoken to a Canon rep the other day who strongly hinted the following (during a 15min chat):
  • The pro EOS-R will be available at the Photography Show in the UK in March 2020.
  • The pro EOS-R will be to the 1DXMKIII "what the 5DRS was to the 5D" - it will be a ultra-sharp 60mp (same as Nikon Z8) camera. It will lack some features of the 1DX MKIII which will still be the defacto Canon sports camera.
  • The 1DX MKIII will be released in time for the Tokyo Olympics, but after the pro EOS-R, in the same way the M50 dropped before the 250D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Spoken to a Canon rep the other day who strongly hinted the following (during a 15min chat):
  • The pro EOS-R will be available at the Photography Show in the UK in March 2020.
  • The pro EOS-R will be to the 1DXMKIII "what the 5DRS was to the 5D" - it will be a ultra-sharp 60mp (same as Nikon Z8) camera. It will lack some features of the 1DX MKIII which will still be the defacto Canon sports camera.
  • The 1DX MKIII will be released in time for the Tokyo Olympics, but after the pro EOS-R, in the same way the M50 dropped before the 250D.

Sounds interesting if that proves out.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

That sounds...... Unexpected. At 60mp it is going to be nigh on impossible to achieve a very high frame rate and not only that it makes the release of a seperate 'high mp' eos R somewhat superflous .

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Always skeptical about how much a "Canon rep" knows. Anyway, it sounds as though your source is conflating the high resolution R with the "pro" R. The high resolution R has been long rumored and I would not be surprised to see that announced in the first quarter of 2020. 60mp sounds a bit conservative, but possible.

If the high resolution R is released in March, that seems too late in the year for the 1DX III to be released after that.

Using terms like "Pro R" just creates confusion. The EOS R is already professional level, despite what forum "experts" think. Likely we will see a high resolution R sometime in the first or second quarter of 2020. A 1Dx III around the same time. A sports oriented R sometime in 2021. A 5DIV in late 2020 or early 2021. And, an RII following that. That is consistent with what has already been written here by Canon Rumors guy. Great unknown remains if and when there might be a sports/birding oriented crop sensor R.

Upvote 0