Canon is shutting down Irista

Canon has announced that as of January 31, 2020, Irista is shutting down.
Irista has been around since 2014 and was Canon’s online solution for managing, sharing and printing photos.  You could use Irsta through the web, Andriod or iOS.
Just posted on Irsta’s home page;
Sadly, we’ve decided to close Irista on January 31, 2020. You can continue to access to your photos until the service closes. Please sign in to download them before this date.

Irista has made an option available to easily download all your photos before the service is gone.
Simply click on the “Download your photos” button from the home page, then login, and all your photos will be zipped up and you download all of them at once.  Canon mentions that tags, titles, and ratings will not be included in the zipped file contents.  Simply the photos.
Canon Irista has an FAQ page that you can read for more detailed information.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
When I saw this offer in first, my initial thought was:
Why give your pics to Canon if any indipendant does it better?

Because you actually weren't giving your pics to Canon. Irista term of services left you the full intellectual property of your images - and the images weren't published unless you shared them with someone. Just, I'm afraid, few people read term of services.

Anyway the article below this one tells Canon had to start to cut any service which didn't bring enough revenues, or worse none at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Just another sign of camera manufacturers tightening their belts. Expect to see more. Canon USA has been the only major camera company in the US to absorb the costs to service gray market equipment that is in warranty. No one else does that. Canon may stop as well if they really get serious about cutting costs. Nikon won't service gray market even if you are willing to pay.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Just another sign of camera manufacturers tightening their belts. Expect to see more. Canon USA has been the only major camera company in the US to absorb the costs to service gray market equipment that is in warranty. No one else does that. Canon may stop as well if they really get serious about cutting costs. Nikon won't service gray market even if you are willing to pay.
An if I visit/move to the US with a European-bought Nikon camera and it breaks, Nikon won't fix it?

Upvote 0
I can only wonder why Canon didn't promote the site better, e.g. insert a card saying 'come to our cloud photo service @ http://whatever/' into every camera box, or pop up an ad when installing the software from the accompanying CD.

Over the past decade or so I've owned five different Canon cameras, and this is the first I've heard of Irista.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
The end of Irista is understandable but sad: Although feature wise a bit lackluster I liked Irista because it was super simple, presented the pictures nicely and - best of all - I could share albums with anybody. Viewers didn't needed any sort of account: They could just click the album link and see the pictures.
On the other hand: They didn't promote it much enough, there was no connection to any social media - which was a positive for me but possibly a negative for many others - and functionality wise it was pretty meager. But for sharing albums with friends and family I liked it very much. Now I have to find something new...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0