Canon Launches New Camera Cloud Platform – image.canon

Oct 10, 2015
They've had photo upload services like this for years. Does anyone actually use them? I took a look at one of the earlier once and could not see a reason to do so, especially since I have cloud storage from other sources.

The point is that it is automatic. I can see plenty of uses for this even though I personally might not use it. In professional work an image could be used in seconds after being taken. It could also protect against card damage.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So, out on a shoot, get to a coffee shop, turn camera on and boom.... Everything uploads and syncs to Creative Cloud without me having to do anything. Lightroom iPad app starts seeing the images and I can begin tweaking / sharing with existing tools whilst enjoying a skinny caramel latte with coconut scratchings. SWEET!!!!

Let's find something to complain about here in a function that, if you don't like, you don't need to use!!
Why bother with the cloud crap? Just stick them straight to the iPad, which you can already do wirelessly or wired (which is much faster), and work on it as you want, then upload edited images to social media direct from LR and any edits and ratings are synced to your desktop LR anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Also, why does running GPS make the battery run out 10x faster? It's so bad I can't use it for more than an hour or 2 without switching batteries (and I have new ones). Cloud upload and GPS are things we just take for granted with our phones.
You have great points in the rest of this piece. The idea of uploading images as I go throughout shooting a wedding or event sounds quite nice.
I had the same problem with GPS until I finally read you could configure it to check GPS at longer intervals. I have mine set at once every 5 minutes and frankly do not notice the battery drain I used to have at all. Personally all I care about with GPS is having my clock to the millisecond since I use sometimes 4 camera bodies on a gig and its a nightmare if they all have different time settings.

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Wonder what it would be like after shooting 75GB of sports pictures in a day...
I’m sure there will be an option to only transfer photos that you have rated etc.... Didn’t Canon also recently announce a beta plug in for Lightroom that detects the best images?? Imagine if that would run on the camera.... and then only best images were transferred / uploaded....

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Why bother with the cloud crap? Just stick them straight to the iPad, which you can already do wirelessly or wired (which is much faster), and work on it as you want, then upload edited images to social media direct from LR and any edits and ratings are synced to your desktop LR anyway.
Because there are so many situations where uploading in the background while you continue shooting, and having someone else review / edit / post the files would be a massive advantage.... I can think of many workflow situations where having this option would be advantageous.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Because there are so many situations where uploading in the background while you continue shooting, and having someone else review / edit / post the files would be a massive advantage.... I can think of many workflow situations where having this option would be advantageous.
Thats a completely different scenario than the one you laid out earlier and I commented on.

I have paid the crazy amount of money Canon charge for FTP enabled WFT's so I well understand the way it can work and the advantages of collaborative efforts in bringing images to a wider audience fast, but that wasn't what you said and I don't think that is what this new app is offering, you said a completely convoluted way of getting your images onto an iPad that is sitting there next to your camera, no need for connectivity with either, just plug the card or the camera into the iPad.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
That's what Canon understood too. If you read the presentation well, the service will work as an "hub" which you send your image to, and then route them to your cloud backend, initially to Google service only, then with Adobe. Maybe other will be added. Canon offers only 10GB of storage, which are little.
It's, in some ways, useful for Canon. Implementing direct access to third party services right from the camera requires firmware updates any time one of the service changes something
Implementing a "hub" let them implement the camera <-> hub transmission only, and any change for the final storage needs to be implemented only at the hub level. Of course, in transit Canon can still give a look to your images to train its AI system (or other uses...)
That's exactly what I am thinking!
The fact that now the camera will send the data directly when in a WiFi network and not via an app, is a huge difference and almost a game changer!
This also makes the second card slot an even less necessity (although I'm happy it's coming in the R5 of course!).

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
That's exactly what I am thinking!
The fact that now the camera will send the data directly when in a WiFi network and not via an app, is a huge difference and almost a game changer!
This also makes the second card slot an even less necessity (although I'm happy it's coming in the R5 of course!).

Most uploads speed will be still slower than a CFExpress card - especially since most easily available internet connection are asymmetrical with upload speeds lower than download. You would still probably need to tether your camera to your phone wherever WiFi coverage is not available. When Canon delivers the R5G you won't need the phone....

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Good for the News photographers too, as they shoot the action the editors back in the office start publishing.
Good for individual users and production teams too.

I agree sooooo much about the phone ease of use to publish vs the antiquated camera file transfer process and time gap. I really did not get on with the canon camera control apps you could run on your phone.

Upvote 0
Most uploads speed will be still slower than a CFExpress card - especially since most easily available internet connection are asymmetrical with upload speeds lower than download. You would still probably need to tether your camera to your phone wherever WiFi coverage is not available. When Canon delivers the R5G you won't need the phone....
I don't know where you live but here in france :
- the average 4G network from any smartphone is way faster than any adsl or vdsl2 based wifi hotspot. (Upload : 40-90mb vs 1-10mb/s).
- this state of things is quikly moving toward way faster fiber based wifi hotspots, even in small cuntry side cities like mine (300-500mb/s upload speed)
- 5g is already planned
I would say that direct raw upload will be really possible within less than 5 years.

Well with 80-100Mpixels monsters that are coming, that could be still difficult.
But don't forget the new and more efficient picture files format (ie. HEIF)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I don't know where you live but here in france :
- the average 4G network from any smartphone is way faster than any adsl or vdsl2 based wifi hotspot. (Upload : 40-90mb vs 1-10mb/s).
- this state of things is quikly moving toward way faster fiber based wifi hotspots, even in small cuntry side cities like mine (300-500mb/s upload speed)
- 5g is already planned
I would say that direct raw upload will be really possible within less than 5 years.

Those are usually the max theoretical speed you can get - in a perfect situation. Actual speed will be lower - look at the "guaranteed speed", it's usuall far lower - and still depending on where the server is and the network/server load. Faster 5G bandwidths requires a free line-of-sight. To achieve the higher speed in wireless you need multiple antennas configurations, hard to place in a device you need to hold steady in your hands. You won't be able to write faster than on a local card for a long time still. CFExpress it's already at 1.4-1.7 GB/s - it's gigaBytes, not gigaBits. It's already over 10Gb/s - with very low latency, another issue when you have to cope with network connections. You need to know when your data have been written safely, right?

Upvote 0