Canon Mail in Rebate Program

I heard some grumbling about Canon doing away with instant cash rebates, such as: they are going to screw folks out of their rebates, or I don't want the prepaid card - I rather have cash or the instant rebate. From my understanding, this is new for Canon. While I can understand the apprehension, I can say my experience was, in the end, a good one, but not without a moment of anxiety. I wanted to share my experience to maybe ease folks apprehension of the program.

My experience:

Quick and dirty story (maybe). I purchased the 5D3 and it came with the Canon Pro 100 printer and a $400 rebate. Well, I forgot to submit the camera's bar code. So happen I check status of my rebate on the Canon's Rebate website and it stated "program violation" - wtf I thought. There goes my $400 I thought, but hell I'm going to fight for this one. I called and the representative was a very nice and professional young lady. I inquired about the status code of the rebate and she confirmed that I did not provide the camera's UPC code. She stated that I should've received a letter about this, but I did not receive said letter and it had been about 2-3 weeks since they had processed the rebate. When I asked about losing my rebate, she explained that Canon's policy is to work with folks to make sure they get their rebates. She explained that if there's a deficiency, they notify you via mail (see above though) and you have 30 days to rectify the problem in order to qualify for the rebate. She also stated that as long as you mailed the rebate in before the due date (i.e. 1/4/14 in this case) and had a violation, such as mine, you are in compliance even if you rectify the problem after the rebate due date (i.e. say 1/15/14) because it was initially submitted timely. I sent in the UPC code and I received my Amex card this week - about 2 weeks time.

Basically, what I am saying is if you screw up somewhere in the process, it is not a lost cause. Just be sure to check the status and if payment has not been approved because of a problem, call the rebate center to rectify the problem.

Amex Prepaid Card:

Although you receive a prepaid card, you have 2 other payment options. You can have Amex send you a check (20 business days) or you can have them transfer the funds to your bank account (15 business days). I suggest this be done before you start using it, although I did not inquire about this. You need to call customer service. I chose the bank transfer route.

Rebate Tips:

1. If you are unsure which bar code to provide, cut the entire thing and send it in. They provide a picture on the rebate form, but I've seen one with only a UPC code, with the term 12 digit referred too. I have also seen where they had a picture of the entire bar code, including one with the serial number. Send it all to them.

2. Check the rebate status, so that you know where it is in the process and most importantly, the status. I was never notified about my issue.

3. Consider using priority mail, certified or some means by which you can track and confirm delivery.

4. Make copies of all documents and save them.

5. Pre-submit the rebate form via online at https://www.acbpromotions.com/canonrebates/. Eliminates possible errors due to poor handwriting and input errors because your information is now in the rebate system.

Please share any other tips or stories if you care, too.

Mar 25, 2011
Its hardly new for Canon, I got a $400 mail in Amex card from a G1 X purchaselast September (2012). They have expanded the program that they have been using for certain products for years.

It definitely costs them less to run a mail-in, a large percentage don't bother to enter, and another percentage don't fill out the paperwork correctly and are disqualified. I always carefully read the terms, and make copies of everything.

There are always complainers, no matter what. I've used the Canon rebates since the 1990's, many of them, and always received the advertised rebate.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its hardly new for Canon, I got a $400 mail in Amex card from a G1 X purchaselast September (2012). They have expanded the program that they have been using for certain products for years.

It definitely costs them less to run a mail-in, a large percentage don't bother to enter, and another percentage don't fill out the paperwork correctly and are disqualified. I always carefully read the terms, and make copies of everything.

There are always complainers, no matter what. I've used the Canon rebates since the 1990's, many of them, and always received the advertised rebate.

Thanks for clearing that up. I read on FM where Canon had used it in the past, but there were many problems with folks being denied their rebates by the 3rd party processor. So, I guess it's kind of new again.

Upvote 0
I just got my rebate rejection letter from the third party company administering it. The letter said photocopies of upc code are unacceptable. Well not my fault the dealer photocopied the upc code on the copy of the receipt I did include the actual original UPC code in the same envelope and made sure at the mail location the UPC was in the envelope before it was sealed. Three witnesses as to the contents. These rebate companies aren't even thorough enough to look beyond the first piece of paper they pulled out of the 8.5x11 envelope which also contained the 4 pages of rebate form including the checklist which was followed to the letter and the approximately 1"x2" piece of cardboard with UPC still on it cut from my lens box. They promised to look into it but I'm not holding my breath. It costs nothing to administer an instant rebate program as in the past and these mail in rebates are unacceptable to me from now on.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
mpkl55 said:
I just got my rebate rejection letter from the third party company administering it. The letter said photocopies of upc code are unacceptable. Well not my fault the dealer photocopied the upc code on the copy of the receipt I did include the actual original UPC code in the same envelope and made sure at the mail location the UPC was in the envelope before it was sealed. Three witnesses as to the contents. These rebate companies aren't even thorough enough to look beyond the first piece of paper they pulled out of the 8.5x11 envelope which also contained the 4 pages of rebate form including the checklist which was followed to the letter and the approximately 1"x2" piece of cardboard with UPC still on it cut from my lens box. They promised to look into it but I'm not holding my breath. It costs nothing to administer an instant rebate program as in the past and these mail in rebates are unacceptable to me from now on.

I have no problem with them, I've received many thousands of rebate dollars. I always carefully follow the instructions and put everything on one sheet of paper. I tape the UPC codes to that sheet as well. Then, I photocopy the sheet before mailing it.

Putting several sheets of paper in with a loose UPC code can result in it falling out when the pull all the unwanted and unnecessary stuff out. I make it as fool proof as possible, and keep photographic records of my submission.

The third party outfits tend to be sticklers for the rules, but don't let up on them, send them your copy of the paperwork if necessary, and report the incident to Canon and the BBB.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
tculotta said:
Mine for the Pixma Pro-10 was rejected because the dealer is an "invalid retailer" - B&H! B&H must be one of, if not, largest Canon dealers in the world! Go figure that one. I have to call cust svc to lodge a dispute.

I bought at B&H recently, and got my rebate back in a couple weeks, no problem.

Upvote 0
There are a few things I do not like about the Mail-in rebate system. First I hate the hassle and the use of my money until I get the rebate. Second, and few know this, the rebate must be declared as income on your taxes. Canon also gets a tax cut as it is claiming the rebate as an operating expense. The customer thinks he or she is getting all of their money back. It simply isn’t true in the long run. The same is true if you buy an automobile with a rebate. It is a sales ploy where you think you are saving the entire amount but are not. I prefer the instant price reduction as an incentive to make a purchase. I did not buy any new equipment because of this rebate system. It just isn’t what it appears to be. A customer would be happier with the instant price reduction.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tculotta said:
Mine for the Pixma Pro-10 was rejected because the dealer is an "invalid retailer" - B&H! B&H must be one of, if not, largest Canon dealers in the world! Go figure that one. I have to call cust svc to lodge a dispute.

That's not good. Its issues like that with the rebate companies, only much worse that caused Canon to drop the mail-in rebate process a few years ago.

Upvote 0