Canon MP-E 65 1x-5x 2.8 Macro Lens example photos

G

Goincarcrazy

A unique lens with a unique purpose: to expose the alien world around us that's just too small to see. For macro enthusiasts, this lens is among the best, so let's see some pics!

A few to start with:

5006723527_51a72ac9d7_b.jpg

5007142898_5425627f0a_b.jpg

5006631729_e125b4e78a_b.jpg

3493611681_ceddd4faf8_b.jpg

3511254673_142030591d_b.jpg

3521197586_833cc6d49c_b.jpg

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Great stuff ! just got my lens and 24EX today--looking forward to exploiting the hell out of it. I should probably get a macro rail as well..very nice work.

As you know, the lens is Sooo sensitive to any movement so I would imagine you shot these with a macro flash ? By the looks of your photos are these all F16 ? excellent depth of field or are you stacking?

Upvote 0
G

Goincarcrazy

The first three and the Daddy Long Legs are all f/16 where as the ant is f/11 and the Deerfly is f/13. The first three were taken with a 5DII, the MPE and the MT-24 with stofen diffusers. The ant, spider, and Deerfly were taken with an XSi, the MPE and a 430ex on a modified flash bracket (used a small L bracket so the flash was hanging out over the end of the lens. Worked sometimes, not always though).

None are stacked. I've dabbled in it, but don't really have the patience for it. All are hand held. I've never really had a problem with handholding this lens. The precision matte focusing screens, although dark with this lens, REALLY help with focusing.

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
not familiar with the precision matte focusing screens you speak of but it sounds like I should look into this. thanks for offering those settings. so here's the BIG question I am sure everyone wants to know: How do you get so close without the insect flying away as in the case with the DeerFly? and are your images cropped or actuals ?

Have you noticed a big difference with the Diffusers vs. not? I've read other state they don't help as the objects are too close to have any effect

Thanks again - Rev

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Goincarcrazy said:
The precision matte focusing screens, although dark with this lens, REALLY help with focusing.

It was my understanding that the benefit of the precision matte focusing screen is really for lenses faster than f/2.8, since the laser etching on the standard screen which is intended to brighten slow (e.g. consumer) lenses limits faster lenses to VF brightness equivalent to about f/2.5. I've certainly confirmed that with my 85L and a standard screen, where stopping down from f/1.2 onwards with DoF preview, the VF does not get any dimmer until I hit ~f/2.5 (although on my 7D, it's clear that the light is getting in since the transmissive LCD in the VF is much more 'washed out' at f/1.2 than f/2.5, even though the scene brightness is unchanged).

Since the 'brightness' of the VF changes in tandem with the DoF seen through the VF, the standard focusing screen is showing you a DoF equivalent to ~f/2.5, even with a wider aperture lens. Thus, precision focusing screens are better for fast lenses because they are showing you the true DoF at apertures faster than f/2.8.

However, I was not aware that there was a significant benefit to the precision matte focusing screens with for manual focusing with f/2.8 (like the MP-E 65mm) and slower lenses. I could see the benefit of a split screen and microprism, but not sure about the benefit from the plain matte screen. Can you elaborate?

Upvote 0
T

Tice Lerner

Hello! Here are a few from me. :)

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
1038495429_utEbY-XL.jpg

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 5x magnification, f11, 1/250th sec ISO100
1038505700_WnrxL-X2.jpg

Jumping Spider leaping at my lens - single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
1026977449_FSikP-XL-1.jpg

Dragonfly single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
1056143180_wYV3K-X2.jpg

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
1023891918_k63aZ-XL-2.jpg

Two Japanese ladybugs (Harmonia axyridis) on a leaf mating. I spotted them around 1:30am. This was taken hand held at 3x magnification and an aperture of f/13 at 1/250th sec, iso100. The final image consists of 4 photos with 4 different focal planes stacked.
959247261_hWrX4-X2-1.jpg

Bumblebee single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
1007309320_F5kwu-X2.jpg

Honey bee single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
931511075_QhtBu-X2-3.jpg

Ant single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
931510244_xqMNo-XL-1.jpg

Eye of a huge snapping turtle - single shot taken at 1x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100
974016681_qsamC-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
G

Goincarcrazy

Very cool stuff Tice!

neuroanatomist: your explanation is correct, and it might be my own little weird quirky way of focusing on stuff that close, but having such a shallow DoF showing through the VF against something like a ladybug that's filling up the viewfinder shows me exactly where the midpoint of where this lens is focusing. From there I just simply adjust in my head about where the outer extents of my DoF are gonna fall. I guess it's more of a guide for me to know that what I want in focus will be in focus. With the normal focusing screen, a lot of times it seems like most of the bug is in focus, which doesn't help me at all for placing the focus point where I need it.

In a weird way I guess the precision screen would help with stacking too, allowing you to see minute adjustments as you go. So yeah, I definitely see your point. It helps me, but may not help others.

Upvote 0
T

Tice Lerner

Thanks!

Macadameane - I'm using the MT-24ex flash with a Quantum Turbo SC battery. The heads each have a custom diffuser. I've tried various designs. My current design consists of a plastic frame made from polymorph plastic, two layers of diffusion, and and reflective snoot for the modeling lamp. The first layer is 1/8 diffusion, 2nd is a grid cloth from rosco which is run over a frame similar in shape to the puffer diffusers.

Goincarcrazy - Stofens definitely help the harsh bare heads of the mt-24ex but certainly could use additional diffusion. Many who use the stofens instead cut the front portion off and use them as frames for a more adequate diffusion material and extending the front for a bit more surface area.

Revup67 - Focus stacking is ideal even if you are hand held but falls apart if the subject is moving which eliminates most situations with bugs. Stopping down is great but the returns diminish quick due to diffraction. My general rule is f13 max from 1x-3x and f10-f11 max for 4x-5x. The key is to make it appear to be in focus. Choosing angles which give this perception will become second nature when you pay attention to the curved focal plane of the lens. You will find certain angles which blanket that curved plane over the subject making it appear to be more in focus and of course choosing to focus on areas of greater detail.

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Tice: damn..I'm a humbled after seeing those shots and compared to you guys and have lots to learn. Tice really nice work..I've been reviewing macro photos for over 6 months solid and yours rank in the top 5%.

With respect to the diffusers - do you have any photos you care to post on your creations? sounds like you've done quite a bit to master just the right amount of light

That makes a lot of sense what you say with respect to angles and not necessarily dead on center. I caught some of this today (day two with the lens and flash). it was very difficult (for me) to find the focus point and as you may recall, the lens takes some getting used to. PS - did you see the link the Flake had sent me on a different thread? if not go here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220640935659&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
this may help with respect as an alternative idea to a diffuser, pulling the flash heads further away @ any degree you like

Tice - how did you ever get those bug shots without scaring the critter away or getting stung? At 5x and 4x I kept bumping into my plant (subject) for starters let alone trying to get it in focus. Did you refrigerate your subject matter? use Macro rail on tripod, use a cable or live view? any and all insight would be much appreciated. - thanks for the photos

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Taken with Canon EOS 7D, MP-E 65 F/11 1/100 @ 2x magnification. Used Canon MT 24EX Macro Flash. Flash set to Manual. "A" flash @ 1/2 and "B" flash @ 1/64 positioned at approx 270º on macro ring. No diffusers. Hand held. No post processing - taken as is.

Attachments

• Purple Stock_resize.JPG
    Purple Stock_resize.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 6,362
Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

I am impressed by the jumping spider photo. Tice are you a cyborg from the future ? ;D

I always thought that using this lens is very difficult even for static objects due to the shallow focus. Look at that spider, such a small depth of field and you managed to take a great photo while the spider is jumping towards the camera with only it's face and a pair of legs in focus ? Great work

Upvote 0