Canon MP-E 65 1x-5x 2.8 Macro Lens example photos

Mar 25, 2011
I certainly admire the work and patience of those who work with macro photography. I know that I am not patient enough to do this. I walk around with my 100L and 7D and thats about it. I do find that I prefer the longer reach of the 7D to my 5D MK II with the macro lens. I guess that tells me i would like a 180mm L IS for my 5D MK II if it ever comes out.

My first try at a Macro photo was with my Canon FT QL in 1968 using extension rings. Lighting the subject was difficult, and I gave up the effort pretty quickly. I built a darkroom in a corner of my garage and developed film and dabbled in B&W and even color prints. Then, my first child came along along and with a move to a larger house, I never took up my own developing again until digital developing became possible.

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
This particular insect is within the Bug Assassin species. I found him on the side of my SUV in roughly 70 degree weather (farenheit). I'd not seen one of these before and wanted to test it level of skittishness. He was not alarmed by my attempting to gently prod it with a pen. I put him in a container and head for home. I placed him on an indoor plant and for the most part he was rather still, not alarmed and a perfect subject to photo via the MP-E 65. Since he did move every 10 seconds or so trying to get more than 7 images was not possible. I wish I had spent more time and put the MT 24EX on 1/2 manual vs. E-TTL as there would have been less harsh light on its hard shelled body. Taken at 2.5 magnification, 7 stacked images via Macro Rail.

What's For Dinner? (Zelus tetracanthus) by Revup67, on Flickr

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

Been playing with the MP-E and MT-24EX for the first time this week. Actually, this is my first real use of any macro lens. Not counting taking a couple test shots in the store with the 50mm and 100mm.

It really is an interesting lens to try and use. Though I'm not completely sold on whether I'd actually buy one.
This is my favorite image so far:
tumblr_m0567grOES1r7ugnvo1_1280.jpg

Doesn't quite stand up to some of the amazing work I've seen here, but I like it. :)

Upvote 0
I think this lens is not about the ultimate resolution, but the great point is the flexibility of fast change magnification to capture nature in action, with a plus of easier focus (comparing with alternatives at same magnification) and very good contrast, some recent shoots:

A APO microscope objective could give you better resolution focus stacked, but would it allow to froze the action ? Could you stop it if necessary ? Could you change magnification fast and without a IQ penalty ?

Inter species mating by Gustavo Mazzarollo, on Flickr

Ant and membracidae mutualism by Gustavo Mazzarollo, on Flickr

Small bee nest by Gustavo Mazzarollo, on Flickr

Upvote 0
This lens is so freaking amazing. And these shots are incredible. Big up on everyone's shots.

Eventually, I will probably get this lens. But the thing that keeps knocking it down on my list is the fact that it's primarily a "bug lens". Don't get me wrong... I love me some bug shots. And I think it would be tons of fun to go around finding bugs to shoot.

But $1000 is a lot to pay for a lens that isn't good for much beyond shooting bugs.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dirtcastle said:
But $1000 is a lot to pay for a lens that isn't good for much beyond shooting bugs.
I paid $500 for a pristine used copy. ;D

That's fantastic. I just saw your other post about buying and selling on Craigslist.

The 65mm macro should be a great lens to by used, because of its specialty status. A lot of people probably buy it without realizing how challenging it can be. And then, as a buyer, I don't necessarily have to compete with a lot of people in the used market. Most people who buy a bug lens probably aren't tight on cash, and thus buy it new (rather than used). Well, that would be my guess, anyway. ;-)

Upvote 0
Actually when you're done it is more than $1k because this lens is not very useful without a flash. It pairs best with the MT-24EX and I recommend anyone interested in the MP-E 65 to budget for the pair.

Personally I find the lens very cheap given what it can do. There really isn't anything out there that is comparable.
- You can achieve sharper photos at 5x with a Nikon 10x 10.5 WD objective on top of a 100mm macro, but then you're stuck at 5x.
- You can achieve similar (or greater) magnifications using a bellows, but it is extremely difficult to use in the field
- Reversing a 50mm may also provide >1x magnification, but again you are stuck at one magnification
- Minolta makes a 1-3x macro, but this is 1-5x

Compared with someone paying $13k for "just a bird lens" the MP-E 65 is a bargain.

Upvote 0