Not open for further replies.
H

hsmeets

Re: Canon & Nikon Flagships in 2011

Stuart said:
hsmeets said:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml

About lenses and sensors.

What I understand from this is that in daily practice shooting at f8, f11, a sensor like the one as in the 5Dm2 starts to out resolve lenses.
So all this improvement is just for better cropping / digital zooming?

Nope, I suspect it's more marketing driven, it's like we dutch say a pissing contest, who covers the biggest distance is winner.

Given current 5Dmk2 specs it would take little effort to create a mk3 that would cover my needs for many, many years to come. I think that scares the shit out of Canon/Nikon: that users stop with buying anything thrown at them as the camera's are just fine for what they are.

And frankly, if such canon (or nikon) materialises next year I actually will stop buying camera's for a long time.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Buying a camera every year or two is too much for most people. But it's taken awhile for the technology to get to a point where people want to wait so long between upgrades. In a perfect world Canon would differentiate its products enough so that people would want to own and hold onto multiple cameras. An aps-c mirrorless camera system. A aps-c fast system. A full frame and fast enough system. A super high resolution medium format system.

I could see owning several of these cameras and systems of lenses if they were all available to me. I'd probably own three. The mirrorless, the fast aps-c for sports, wildlife and reach, and the medium format for fine art attempts and landscape. Unfortunately these don't exist. What I am trying to say is that Canon can mitigate any resistance to upgrade by offering compelling alternatives for different types of shooting and shooting styles.

hsmeets said:
Stuart said:
hsmeets said:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml

About lenses and sensors.

What I understand from this is that in daily practice shooting at f8, f11, a sensor like the one as in the 5Dm2 starts to out resolve lenses.
So all this improvement is just for better cropping / digital zooming?

Nope, I suspect it's more marketing driven, it's like we dutch say a pissing contest, who covers the biggest distance is winner.

Given current 5Dmk2 specs it would take little effort to create a mk3 that would cover my needs for many, many years to come. I think that scares the shit out of Canon/Nikon: that users stop with buying anything thrown at them as the camera's are just fine for what they are.

And frankly, if such canon (or nikon) materialises next year I actually will stop buying camera's for a long time.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

hsmeets said:
Nikon is on record saying that they will strive in the future (after their last 10MP professional camera, which was out a while ago) for a 'better balance of ISO and resolution' (paraphrase).

Enjoy your vacation!

The extra MP does have its drawbacks (namely fewer pictures on your media, more hard drives to buy, and a bit more time processing images) but there are some good points too.

Right now I'm more interested in better metering, autofocus, ISO performance (which has been demonstrated to improve as sensor density increases, more than just a coincidence), and DR.

More megapixels can serve just to magnify problems. Take a blurry picture on an APS-C camera because of slow ISO sensitivity and a poor non-stabilized lens...move it to full frame and the blur isn't reduced at all (per pixel, assuming pixels are the same size), and add more pixels and you just can see "deeper" into the mess. Unfortunately I've found that's the most usual case.

But when things go right - you have a fast shutter speed or you have an adequate setup (IS lens, tripod), the extra pixels should help.

Of course, using old lenses from before 2000 probably isn't the best thing for sheer accuracy. But I'm limited in what I can say from personally having used two primes and a super-cheap film zoom. I remain as interested as ever in newer designs though.

It is interesting to look at high ISOs though. Higher ISO sensitivity comes at no weight cost, unlike faster lenses, and the ISO improvements are ramping up faster than maximum apertures (which of course aren't getting faster because manufacturers assume they aren't as important with digital cameras). But I feel that especially for consumer cameras and lenses, the combination of sensitivity and available "consumer-priced" lenses currently is a bit too slow for really sharp images. But it's improving quickly. I'd love to get my hands on a 60D but I'm afraid that only full frame cameras have the ISO I'd like, in the immediate future.

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

The issues Edwin Herdman mentioned are important to me.

I don't want to spend my money on larger & faster memory cards, or computer with faster CPU, more RAM, and more hard disks, to process extra pixels I have no need of. I want to spend my money on lenses and cameras, which is - AFAIK - what Canon sells to it's customers.

As example, rather than buy a new computer, I'd rather buy a new 35/2 lens with USM and better diaphragm to improve bokeh.

Upvote 0

hiplnsdrftr said:
I am in fact a professional photographer. I use 5D2 and 1Ds3... thats the limit of file size I want to deal with. Already, the hard drive space is kinda out of control!

As much as I would love to use the new gear... i dont think I would upgrade due to the trouble of trying to store and handle the amount of drive space.

Just one of my jobs is about 7000 photos.

Seagate will sell you an internal 1TB HD for $45. Wouldn't there be room for a couple of those in a 7000 photo job budget?

Upvote 0
S

stark-arts

The new EF 8-15mm f/4 lens, which is supposedly the fisheye lens for APS-C sensors, will cost about twice as much the older FF fisheye, I tend to think the first option is wrong.
[/quote]

its the L fisheye - not the apsc fisheye - not sure why you think that. it's a new interesting lens that gives full frame users the choice of circular and rectilinear fisheye in same lens....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.