Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
no never ;) silent electronic shooting for weddings awesome, long battery live (i get already +/-1500 mixed shots 50/50 liveview/OVF shots with the mkII), Ai-Servo in live for stills.
A guy here:
is claming 4000 shots @50%battery live

I've posted pictures on here of my 1DX2 battery shutter count exceeding 10,000 frames on a single charge. That was me shooting almost constantly at high speed 14fps for 5-6 hours with fast action, servo AF in absolutely crazy AF difficultly from moving stage LEDs sweeping and changing color constantly all in front of a full motion LED wall that was 12 feet high and 40 feet wide, and my targets were dancers leaping and erratically moving in between all that plus a mild smoke effect on stage.

The 1000 shot count is more common when you are taking single shots or even short bursts more intermittently. If you are just going full tilt with very little downtime between shots, this battery is an absolute monster. Based on those same parameters, I bet I could crack 20k frames on a DX3 in a single charge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
People who want to shoot serious video won't buy this camera. Those who buy this won't be using it as a video camera. Packing this particular model with video features is a PR move from Canon aimed at showing Canon is not behind in video technology , which they are.

Utterly absurd. One of the main functions that interests me is the new video features, and I can promise you I'm not alone. Take a look at what even big budget Hollywood productions occasionally do when they can't get an ARRI into a shot for one reason or another. They have been using Canon DSLR bodies (like crash cams and what not) with Magic Lantern software to capture 1080 RAW video because the Canon "look" and color science blends almost effortlessly in with ARRI footage by comparison. MadMax recently did this. Having a small form factor, robust Canon body that can now shoot 4K RAW as part of it's native Canon firmware may well increase the usage even further. Video wont be this camera's biggest market for certain, but it WILL absolutely be used by pros for video, and used very happily in a wide variety of situations.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've posted pictures on here of my 1DX2 battery shutter count exceeding 10,000 frames on a single charge...I bet I could crack 20k frames on a DX3 in a single charge.

I was a little shocked at how conservative the estimates are for this battery. It's not uncommon for me to shoot over 2,000 shots during a game and I can usually shoot at least two and sometimes three games before I change out the battery.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I was a little shocked at how conservative the estimates are for this battery. It's not uncommon for me to shoot over 2,000 shots during a game and I can usually shoot at least two and sometimes three games before I change out the battery.

I'm thinking they have some standard formula to determine life scale. I've had times where I only got a few hundred off a battery charge, but that was with the camera sitting up for days or weeks with a lens still strapped to it. So there has to be SOME common metric they gauge every battery by. So many shots per hour. So many bursts. Some many at Manual focus. AF. Servo AF etc... No idea what that is... But I can assure everyone that if I lay into that shutter and just hold it until the battery runs dry, I'd be well into 5 figures on shutter count.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I would not get your hopes up. With each generation, the 1-series always gets the most stills throughput.

Last-gen:
1DX2 = 20 x 16 = 320 MP/s
5D4 = 30 x 7 = 210 MP/s​
6D2 = 26 x 6.5 = 169 MP/s​
5DS = 50 x 5 = 250 MP/s​

2 gens ago:
1DX1 = 18 x 14 = 252 MP/s
5D3 = 22 x 6 = 132 MP/s​
6D1 = 20 x 4.5 = 90 MP/s​

The idea that we can slice the max throughput of the line-leading model into attractive combos we'd rather own is what Sony and Nikon do. Historically, Canon doesn't.

Now, if there was a 1-series high res, I'd like to see that math. But Canon hasn't married high res + 1-series in.... what, 13 years? Not holding my breath.

- A

This is likely wishful thinking, but given that the 1DX3 is moving from a dual processor to a single processor (for image processing, anyways) config, I think there's the opportunity for the Digic X to be in more cameras. Bumping a 5D4 to a dual processor config would likely have been a big cost and engineering (space on PCB, heat, battery) tradeoff. IF the cost of the X is low enough, I could see an "R5", RS and 1DX3 all sharing it. The reality is the mirrorless cameras are going to need that sort of horsepower for class-leading AF at this point anyways, it seems. If you remove the CPU and mirror as the limiting factor, a bump relative megapixels/sec for the 35+ and 50+ MP cameras is within the realm of possibilities.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Well this is interesting....the AF button is a new twist I didn't expect.

Separately, I found this in the whitepaper under 'why 20 million pixels'

Canon consulted heavily with major press and photo agencies ...

This seems aimed more at that audience than nature photogs. Which is fine, not everyone is going to get what they want in every camera. The wait for a new nature-focused Canon offering continues

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is likely wishful thinking, but given that the 1DX3 is moving from a dual processor to a single processor (for image processing, anyways) config, I think there's the opportunity for the Digic X to be in more cameras. Bumping a 5D4 to a dual processor config would likely have been a big cost and engineering (space on PCB, heat, battery) tradeoff. IF the cost of the X is low enough, I could see an "R5", RS and 1DX3 all sharing it. The reality is the mirrorless cameras are going to need that sort of horsepower for class-leading AF at this point anyways, it seems. If you remove the CPU and mirror as the limiting factor, a bump relative megapixels/sec for the 35+ and 50+ MP cameras is within the realm of possibilities.

Didn't the 5DS somehow make the amaaaaaaazing breakthrough to get two of the latest gen DIGICs in there?

I get confused b/c the 5D3 and 5D4 got (memory fuzzy, I want to say...) one latest gen for imaging and one lesser one for a side function (metering, video, idk).

I bring this up because Canon managed to squeeze 250 MP/s stills throughput in a 5DS in 2015, and 18 months later they could only muster 210 MP/s in a nearly identical form factor housing of the 5D4. Yes, max FF shutter/mirrorbox framerates matter and that may have limited things, but it's also possible that Canon -- for a host of reasons --- wanted to throttle the 5D# line for price point or profitability reasons, protecting 1-series sales, etc. Or it's possible Canon considered a second top-tier chip like the 5DS got and realized that it would push the mirrorbox/shutter into a pricey redesign or would obliterate the battery (engineering telling mgmt: 'it's possible to do a second chip and get 30 x 12 or so... but it would dramatically impact cost/schedule and you said something about that performance level threatening 1DX2 sales').

We'll never know, but Canon typically doesn't give the highest throughput to lower tier FF cameras. I would not be shocked if the 5D5 was given 34 x 8 or so and then a 5DS2 comes out with 60 x 6 and we all wonder why the hell to buy a 5D5 at all. If Canon is to offer two $3k+ SLR lines, each one should dunk on the other in a few specs, so 36 x 10 vs. 60 x 6 is a clearer way to delineate that and justify those prices.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I would not be shocked if the 5D5 was given 34 x 8 or so and then a 5DS2 comes out with 60 x 6 and we all wonder why the hell to buy a 5D5 at all. If Canon is to offer two $3k+ SLR lines, each one should dunk on the other in a few specs, so 36 x 10 vs. 60 x 6 is a clearer way to delineate that and justify those prices.

- A

I dont think we're gonna see a 5DS2. Canon seems to be replacing that in the R line with the "Pro" model and this rumored 75 - 83 MP monster. I Can't imagine Canon then releasing an identical DSLR version.

I get they pretty much did that with the EOS R (basically a 5D4 without the mirror and pentaprism) but that was done to open the MILC door, which has now been accomplished. They seem to be clearly moving into MILC going forward. I think a 5D5 is certainly going to happen because of the market out there will still have enough demand in the Pro world for a native EF mount body like that. Not so sure in the high MP world though. The 5DS and 5DSR I think at this stage are now one-and-done cameras so far as DSLRs go.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I dont think we're gonna see a 5DS2. Canon seems to be replacing that in the R line with the "Pro" model and this rumored 75 - 83 MP monster. I Can't imagine Canon then releasing an identical DSLR version.

Best (corporate mandated) price-protected product in Canon's history? I can't think of a stronger one over a 5 year run like this:

1578426419496.png

Obv the plot above does not = success commercially, it just reflects that Canon is ruthless with price on this product. This could be for a host of reasons. We've seen other companies do this out of stubbornness not to erode profit margins or from a desire to always be perceived as luxe/premium (Leica Q cameras, Sony RX1R cameras come to mind) even if the cameras weren't selling well.

But for a long period of its lifecycle above, it was the highest res FF sensor product on the market, and 'that ain't nothing'.

So I'm curious to see Canon do what you're saying. If you're a 1DS devotee who never got over Canon forcing you to choose between a 1-series feature set OR highest resolution, imagine how that camp will take losing the mirror as well.* :oops:

(*It may not be a big deal, they all may be shooting D850s or A7III and A7IV rigs right now.)

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Didn't the 5DS somehow make the amaaaaaaazing breakthrough to get two of the latest gen DIGICs in there?

I get confused b/c the 5D3 and 5D4 got (memory fuzzy, I want to say...) one latest gen for imaging and one lesser one for a side function (metering, video, idk).

I bring this up because Canon managed to squeeze 250 MP/s stills throughput in a 5DS in 2015, and 18 months later they could only muster 210 MP/s in a nearly identical form factor housing of the 5D4. Yes, max FF shutter/mirrorbox framerates matter and that may have limited things, but it's also possible that Canon -- for a host of reasons --- wanted to throttle the 5D# line for price point or profitability reasons, protecting 1-series sales, etc. Or it's possible Canon considered a second top-tier chip like the 5DS got and realized that it would push the mirrorbox/shutter into a pricey redesign or would obliterate the battery (engineering telling mgmt: 'it's possible to do a second chip and get 30 x 12 or so... but it would dramatically impact cost/schedule and you said something about that performance level threatening 1DX2 sales').

We'll never know, but Canon typically doesn't give the highest throughput to lower tier FF cameras. I would not be shocked if the 5D5 was given 34 x 8 or so and then a 5DS2 comes out with 60 x 6 and we all wonder why the hell to buy a 5D5 at all. If Canon is to offer two $3k+ SLR lines, each one should dunk on the other in a few specs, so 36 x 10 vs. 60 x 6 is a clearer way to delineate that and justify those prices.

- A
If I recall a discussion many moons ago (not sure if it had some input from a Canon person), there is a trade off on how they delegate power management - there is only so much power to go round and AF, data processing etc all have their own requirements. So I can easily see a situation where on the 5DS, it is assumed to be a studio/landscape camera so they can put everything into processing and frame rate. But the 5DIV may have had some power reserved for quicker, more accurate focus tracking. Meanwhile the 1Dx line has a monster battery where nothing needs to get compromised and also has enough to process the data for tracking (and driving!) the super teles.

For me, I like the 1Dx2 frame rate, but an all honesty I got it because of the twitchiness of the 7D2. If the 5D5 came out with an AF (including metering sensor) that is equivalent to the current 1Dx2 and did up to 8-10fps, that would be great for me.

Upvote 0
You got that one abit wrong. It has one DIGIC X processor which replaces the two DIGIC 6+ ones, but there is still an additional DIGIC 8 dedicated for AF/AE. I'm personaly most happy to see things like new AF-ON button, head/face tracking via OVF (still dont quite know how this is done?) and built in wifi.
I stand corrected!

Upvote 0
The mountaineering sequences from Free Solo, which won last years Academy Award for best documentary, were filmed with 1DX Mark IIs. IMO those scenes were some of the most interesting film work of the last several years. Hard to imagine any other camera being able to get those images. The Mark III will be an order of magnitude better.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2014
I've posted pictures on here of my 1DX2 battery shutter count exceeding 10,000 frames on a single charge. That was me shooting almost constantly at high speed 14fps for 5-6 hours with fast action, servo AF in absolutely crazy AF difficultly from moving stage LEDs sweeping and changing color constantly all in front of a full motion LED wall that was 12 feet high and 40 feet wide, and my targets were dancers leaping and erratically moving in between all that plus a mild smoke effect on stage.

The 1000 shot count is more common when you are taking single shots or even short bursts more intermittently. If you are just going full tilt with very little downtime between shots, this battery is an absolute monster. Based on those same parameters, I bet I could crack 20k frames on a DX3 in a single charge.

My usage ist primarly for wedding reportage
  • lot of live view during prep. (advantage you produce less pictues, all are tacksharp with DPAF, already!)
  • fast single shot some times
  • some burst
For that are 1500 a lot, 2 battery per day with the 1DXII im fine, i already swichted to be a liveview shooter, crazy i know!
-> the 1DMIII is very welcome, main features for me:
  • silent shooting
  • AFC in live view
  • Better sensor
  • still small file sizes with 20MP

Upvote 0
Yes, of course you’re right, that’s why the 5d mkII was used in Avengers among other high end movies.
A Norwegian, excellent, tv-series called “Dag” was filmed exclusively with the 5d2 and 1d4 and I’ve always thought it looked amazing.

5d2 was used in films during an era when DSLR video was considered a novelty and no one else had it.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Hard to get a real sense from all the comments if contributors here are super excited at the 1DX III that's been produced or whether its more of a damp squid.
It overall just doesn't seemed to be designed for serious amateur photographers.

'why 20 million pixels'
"Canon consulted heavily with major press and photo agencies ... "

It really does seem to be designed for press agencies to able to photograph and video with the same piece of gear.
I personally don't get why a press agencies would declare a 20MP limitation as a key requirement.
20 / 22/ 24 wouldn't make a huge difference, the speed of telecommunictions is only getting quicker.
No issue with transmitting 4K video, only with 24mp photos.

The bulk of Canon 1dx sales must come from press and photo agencies.
I think a modest MP increase would have helped increase the number of upgrades from 1DX II.
I was going to upgrade but I am going to hold off for the moment.
I'll follow the reviews and see if the focusing system is that good that it justifies an upgrade.
7599 Euros is a high price to pay for an upgrade that has few spec improvements.
It's all down to its focusing ability and how it handles in expert users hands.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Best (corporate mandated) price-protected product in Canon's history? I can't think of a stronger one over a 5 year run like this:

Obv the plot above does not = success commercially, it just reflects that Canon is ruthless with price on this product. This could be for a host of reasons. We've seen other companies do this out of stubbornness not to erode profit margins or from a desire to always be perceived as luxe/premium (Leica Q cameras, Sony RX1R cameras come to mind) even if the cameras weren't selling well.

But for a long period of its lifecycle above, it was the highest res FF sensor product on the market, and 'that ain't nothing'.

So I'm curious to see Canon do what you're saying. If you're a 1DS devotee who never got over Canon forcing you to choose between a 1-series feature set OR highest resolution, imagine how that camp will take losing the mirror as well.* :oops:

(*It may not be a big deal, they all may be shooting D850s or A7III and A7IV rigs right now.)

- A
The 5DS has been available on the gray market for $1500 or so for some time now.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I personally don't get why a press agencies would declare a 20MP limitation as a key requirement.
20 / 22/ 24 wouldn't make a huge difference, the speed of telecommunictions is only getting quicker.

I think a modest MP increase would have helped increase the number of upgrades from 1DX II.

Possible, but I'd consider the alternate perspective: I just don't understand how +2 or +4 MP is a purchasing determinant. If I want more res or more cropping power, I'd go big and get a purpose-built high res tool.

As it stands, let's say they did go from 20 to 24 MP:

20 MP: 5477 x 3651​
24 MP: 6000 x 4000​
It's a vapor level of improvement for what... improvement's sake? I fail to see how 24 MP is some detail breakthrough, or how it unlocks massive cropping potential.

And I'm guessing (complete speculation on my part) that news agencies didn't explicitly say 'No more than 20 MP', but they probably gave indirect snippets that painted a consistent picture for Canon:
  • "Our primary business is on the web and social media -- it just needs to pop for our client on IG"
  • "I'm with [huge agency], man, they give me whatever lens I need. Cropping is for wildlifers, not for us."
  • "I want better low light performance more than I want more detail"
  • "Framerate > detail for sports/action shooters: better chance to nail the pivotal moment"
  • "Our business is about being first, not best. Zero post-processing would be great"
  • "Our reporters have to upload from phones on site, please keep file size in mind"
And it's entirely possible Canon ran the numbers on multiple configurations and determined that some high-value claim or feature (20 fps, endless buffer, etc.) would come off the board if they bumped the res.

- A

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Hard to get a real sense from all the comments if contributors here are super excited at the 1DX III that's been produced or whether its more of a damp squid.
It overall just doesn't seemed to be designed for serious amateur photographers.

'why 20 million pixels'
"Canon consulted heavily with major press and photo agencies ... "

It really does seem to be designed for press agencies to able to photograph and video with the same piece of gear.

I was going to upgrade but I am going to hold off for the moment.
I'll follow the reviews and see if the focusing system is that good that it justifies an upgrade.
7599 Euros is a high price to pay for an upgrade that has few spec improvements.
It's all down to its focusing ability and how it handles in expert users hands.

It doesn't sound like they declared 20mp as a 'limitation' as such. They said it was 'sufficient' therefore Canon has decided to aim for that one stop of high ISO performance over an increase in MP as well as reducing the strength of the AA filter(which will effectively give a resolution bump over the 1dx2 anyway) as an increase in MP was not deemed necessary for the target audience.

Upvote 0