Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., January 6, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the highly anticipated Canon EOS-1D X Mark III camera – the successor to the world-renowned and award-winning EOS-1D X Mark II. The Company’s new flagship DSLR has been engineered and designed using extensive feedback from the professional sports, photojournalist, wildlife and wedding photographers.
This new groundbreaking workhorse EOS-1D X Mark III DLSR Camera features:

New 20.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor combined with newly designed High Detail Low-Pass Filter
New DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 50-819200https://www.dpreview.com/news/82412...l-af-and-5-5k-raw-video#_edn1" name="_ednref1
New 191-point optical viewfinder AF system capable of tracking the subject’s head, and face using Deep Learning Technology...

Continue reading...

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
On the video side, a couple of things are curious. Canon refers to Canon Log and 12 stops of DR...which is fine for an 8-bit codec, but then goes on to refer to 4:2:2 10 bit and 12 bit raw. Wondering why we're seeing Canon Log instead of Log 3 or Log 2, which are the ones designed for 10-12bit workflows. The second question is what format is the camera writing the RAW to?...if it's Cinema Raw Light, you'd think they'd mention it...if it's CDNG, ughh....I thought we'd moved past that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
On the video side, a couple of things are curious. Canon refers to Canon Log and 12 stops of DR...which is fine for an 8-bit codec, but then goes on to refer to 4:2:2 10 bit and 12 bit raw. Wondering why we're seeing Canon Log instead of Log 3 or Log 2, which are the ones designed for 10-12bit workflows. The second question is what format is the camera writing the RAW to?...if it's Cinema Raw Light, you'd think they'd mention it...if it's CDNG, ughh....I thought we'd moved past that.
Answering my own question. Canon has a cursory video covering the RAW video output. Would appear its outputting an image sequence packaged as a CRM that gets processed in a new version of DPP for output as an image sequence along with a sidecar WAV file. Strangely, the export window doesn't show anything like a "log" output, so this looks like a very clunky workflow to say the least. Perhaps resolve can handle the files and smooth the way. BTW, the RAW video has 14 stops of DR, according to the video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

It appears that the Log is closest to Canon Log 3 on the new cameras. It has the general Canon Log profile but it uses the full DR of the sensor.

I would guess that since it s a crm file, this raw video will act like any other CRL format in an NLE.

As a note, I saw that the 10bit formats are h.265 and a 4:2:0 8 bit format is available in H.264. The camera can record in both raw video and an mpeg-4 format at the same time.

Honestly, it looks like Canon put some work into making this camera able to shoot decent video.

Upvote 0
Okay, for a [stills only] + [OVF only] gent like myself, someone please give me the top 3 things the 1DX3 will do that the 1DX2 cannot.

Don't give me a tabled comparison. I'm just curious what the OVF stills folks are particularly geeked about with this thing.

Thx,
A

This probably doesn't meet your requirements, but I like the full touch screen, and I am hopeful on the autofocus improvements. The dual CF Express cards are a good move to I think. The optical AF control is cool. They are claiming a good amount of ISO improvement over the MK2. They mention improvement to the low pass filter. I will just have to wait and see. After all of my moaning and groaning about 20mp I may preorder.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Has anyone seen clarification about "built-in WiFi and Bluetooth" that is mentioned? Does it in fact have a basic WiFi antenna built into the body AND the option of the external WFT transmitter for faster/larger file transfer? Or is the "built-in" feature just confirming that it will accept the external accessory and without that you can't wirelessly get images out of the camera? I've got the WFT8 and the 1DxII and it is incredibly slow sometimes. Other signals in an arena can jam the device. Would be great if it has a basic transmitter in the body when you just want to export a JPEG and send it to your phone for posting or forwarding a low res file.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
The EOS-1D X Mark III camera features a developed AF system with a maximum of 3,869 manually selectable AF positions, which covers almost the entire image sensing area. The EOS-1D X Mark III camera can also be configured to focus on specific areas, using an extended range of selectable modes that include 1-point AF, Expanded AF Area, Zone AF and Large Zone AF in addition to the conventional Face+ Tracking AF.

I'm in camera heaven!!!!
UnrealisticFilthyBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

Upvote 0
@ahsanford -
(1) faster WiFi exporting with the new transmtiter supposedly (remains to be seen. previous device can bog down if there's radio interference in the area), (2) new file format might be nice if you want more than a JPEG offers but don't want to deal with RAW files, and (3) head/face/eye detection AF is a big deal whether you're doing head shots or sports. That alone has me interested in upgrading. If it can eventually (firmware?) recognize animal faces/eyes then that could be incredibly helpful to wildlife shooters. I know you emphasized STILLS ONLY, but having FF video now instead of the previous smaller crop is a big deal. Wide angles stay truly wide and you could shoot 4K or almost 6K video and grab decent resolution still frames from that footage. 16-20 fps 20MP files or 30-60 fps grab frame at 8-10MP's (i'm guessing). Pretty sweat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The EOS-1D X Mark III camera features a developed AF system with a maximum of 3,869 manually selectable AF positions, which covers almost the entire image sensing area. The EOS-1D X Mark III camera can also be configured to focus on specific areas, using an extended range of selectable modes that include 1-point AF, Expanded AF Area, Zone AF and Large Zone AF in addition to the conventional Face+ Tracking AF.

I'm in camera heaven!!!!
View attachment 188075

That's in Live View. Similar to how the EOS R works. Except you have to hold the camera out in front of you to use it.......

Upvote 0